Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Hawaii

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Thinking through a summer holiday with the HG family in Hawaii. Any tips on the subject from NSCs finest would be very welcome and I suspect more insightful than found in travel books. Thanks

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Long old jaunt

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thinking through a summer holiday with the HG family in Hawaii. Any tips on the subject from NSCs finest would be very welcome and I suspect more insightful than found in travel books. Thanks

I went about 10 years ago, decent enough. We lived in California then so not such a schlep, but from here I think there are many better options, depends why you want to go I suppose

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Send a pm to NSC's very own Ken Livingstone Seagull - he's the man ITK for all things Hawaii.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hawaii, Caribbean, South Pacific, Indian Ocean. All very similar except.....

Hawaii - A very long way and way too American.

Caribbean - An awful lot of choice, in quality and price, and if you actually want American then try the Bahamas. Also much nearer.

South Pacific - Still unknown to me but looks as good as the other options above, less Yankee but even longer journey.

Indian Ocean - Slightly more dull than Caribbean? Better diving maybe mind.

Personally cannot see the point of Hawaii from the UK, but each to their own.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks so far, will pm those above.

I get the Hawaii from here point may not make sense but for a very good specific reason we are heading there so alternatives don’t really help!

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Went there this time last year - not so far for us in Australia. Stayed on Oahu...a couple of nights at Turtle Bay on North Shore and the rest of the time in Waikiki. Great times, awesome place to visit. Waikiki Beach is the best place in the world for learning to surf. Friends highly recommend the other islands too, but quieter than Oahu.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Have a great holiday and I hope the eco warriors , from previous threads, don't give you hell for flying all that way!:D

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
One thing not to do is The Polynesian Centre, it was right across the other side Maui, we got picked up in a minibus from the Hotel at silly o'clock, the driver's motoring style throughout the journey was somewhat erratic, which resulted in a Japanese lady honking up.

The PC was okay (ish) but we were ready for drink with our pre booked meal at the end of the day, before the 'Native Showcase'.

"Two Corona's please?" I asked our young Chinese waitress.

She then informed me that the whole attraction was alcohol free on Religious grounds, owned by the Mormons, but she nearly wet herself when she discovered where we came from, she said she loved Harry Potter, but equally Hermione, because she was 'so good at Sorcery'. I think she actually believed they were real people.

All in all apart from making a young Chinese girls day, it was a wasted day, so if your Holiday Rep tries to sell you the trip, a quite expensive one at that, decline!

On the other hand if you don't do Pearl Harbour, which I believe is on the other main Island, (We did a 2 centre holiday), you will regret it for the rest of your life, it was a superb experience.

Although Mrs H nearly caused a diplomatic incident when commenting on the amount of Japanese visitors "They've got a bit of a cheek coming"

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
We went about 15 years ago. Flew to Honolulu and spent two days exploring the island with a rented car. Then picked up a Norwegian cruise which I think was 6 days and went to 4 of the islands. This was a great way to see several islands in one visit. They are each different from one other with varying sights and natural attractions. The cruise seems a little pricy but it includes accommodation and food and entertainment. It was a wonderful holiday.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Long old jaunt

You're telling me.
Going there is fabulous, coming back is a killer.
But worth every second, I loved it.
We went to Kuawi, the garden Island where many films like jurrasic park among hundreds of others were made.
Great scenery, fabulous beaches and the Polynesian culture is still very much there.
We also went to Oahu for a few days which was ok but not a touch in Kuawi.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Depends what you want to do and how long you're there for.

I'd recommend some time in Honolulu (Oahu) for culture and food and a visit to one of the other islands for beach life and relaxing. For me Kauai is the most beautiful island.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was visited many years ago and was lucky enough to be treated to a personal guided tour by NSC legend [MENTION=921]Ken Livingstone Seagull[/MENTION], barrelling round Maui in his truck with both of us wearing ‘Skint’ Albion shirts. A fantastic time and genuinely one of my best lifetime experiences.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Done a two step San Fransisco and then onto Hawaii. Lovely place we were there when it was due to be hit by a hurricane all the Americans were going the other way.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

Is this the result of you wearing that shirt at The Emirates in Sunday?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here