Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England Women World Cup Squad announced

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Today the squad picked by England Manager Phil Neville for this summers Womens World Cup was announced:

Goalkeepers: Karen Bardsley (Man City), Mary Earps (Wolfsburg), Carly Telford (Chelsea)

Defenders: Millie Bright (Chelsea), Lucy Bronze (Lyon), Rachel Daly (Houston Dash), Alex Greenwood (Man Utd), Steph Houghton (captain, Man City), Abbie McManus (Man City), Demi Stokes (Man City) Leah Williamson (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Karen Carney (Chelsea), Jade Moore (Reading), Jill Scott (Man City), Lucy Staniforth (Birmingham City), Georgia Stanway (Man City), Keira Walsh (Man City)

Forwards:Toni Duggan (Barcelona) Fran Kirby (Chelsea), Beth Mead (Arsenal), Nikita Parris (Man City), Jodie Taylor (Seattle Reign), Ellen White (Birmingham City)

Quite liked the way they did the announcements with a different celebrity announcing each player via a short video which made it more interesting.

Not too many surprises but its a strong squad so have got my fingers crossed that we'll have a good tournament!

Englands first group game is 9th June against Scotland, with Argentina and Japan being the other group members. Bring It Home Lionesses!!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gutted for Faz WIlliams, who has been an absolute collosus for England over the years but on form she probably didn't deserve it.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Any Brighton players close to the squad? Or in other National Teams at the tournament?

The only one I know of who may go to the World Cup is Ini Umotong who has featured in Nigerian squads recently.

We have a few (like Ellie Brazil and Maya Le Tissier) who are part of Junior International squads (England U20 and U17 respectively), and some who are internationals but not going to the World Cup because their teams didn't make it (i.e. Marie Hourihan and Laura Rafferty).

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
In fact Maya Le Tissier is captaining the England U17s playing right now in the Womens Euro U17 tournament in Bulgaria. England currently lead 2-1, needing a win to stay interested in the tournament. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here