Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much will Mr Bloom spend in the summer transfer window?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I suspect TB will lay out another 50M or so much like last season, we may spend more than that though, depends who we sell....

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Think it will be a similar budget to last year but I think the remit might be British players under 25 as our primary targets - probably 3-5 players. Still think we might look at Abraham and James would be excellent business if Chelsea would be prepared to sell.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm not sure it's just an issue of transfer fees. The bigger challenge will be our ability to pay the right wages and offer long contracts to players in a highly competitive market. That will apply to the good ones we already have as much as those we want to add to the squad.

Transfer fees are headline grabbing, but it's high wages and long contracts that we really fear. If we do go down, those are the things that drag you under.

I suspect we're not shopping in Holland and the like because of the relatively low price tags, but also because of the differential between what players can earn in most European leagues and what even we can pay because we have Sky money in the Prem.

Things we do know - we'll break our wage record this Summer. That will drive demands from existing players. Our wage bill will escalate significantly and with it will come more risk.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
40 m

cant see wholesale changes. Maybe 2/3 in

Don't think we'll release our 2 jokers - Locadia or AJ either.

We'll be looking for value for money as always

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
23 man squad, currently + Izzy is injured, meaning 22.

So, 3 can be brought in - a striker, a central midfielder, and another attacking winger / midfielder.

Then - is Pröpper really going to Ajax ? If so that is £15-20 million and another free squad place.

A loan out for Kayal frees another place.

Maybe 3-5 signings possible, and - for example - Reece James is young enough to not count in the 25 as well.

But we also have the issue of players such as Walton, Hall, Ahannach, Collar, Barclay etc.. who are no longer U21 who will also need to be considered or farmed out.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
23 man squad, currently + Izzy is injured, meaning 22.

So, 3 can be brought in - a striker, a central midfielder, and another attacking winger / midfielder.

Then - is Pröpper really going to Ajax ? If so that is £15-20 million and another free squad place.

A loan out for Kayal frees another place.

Maybe 3-5 signings possible, and - for example - Reece James is young enough to not count in the 25 as well.

What about Bruno if he is released ? That's another spot up for grabs.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
£68m

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes, good to have a decent transfer kitty. Even better to have a strong eye for potential talent.
Sadly this isn't even remotely true. In this age of almost "perfect knowledge" in the transfer market (A Level Economics...) it is definitely money that talks.

Some buys turn out better than others of course - and occasionally clubs have had unusual success with developing players - but over time it will be mainly about the budget available.

From our relatively low budget we have managed some great signings and some duds and that is pretty much inevitable.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Week or so ago CH said in the Argus that prices rising for all positions will mean that by default we will have to break our record fee for a signing etc. he mentioned prices of GKs and defenders going up as well as everyone else....

The obvious issues are that we are not good enough, we are not fast enough and we dont appear strong/powerful enough. The club has a big opportunity to rectify matters now that we have survived in the league. Listening to WA he states clearly we need to move on certain players (kayal etc) try and sell a few duds..(locadia etc) and shop well but NOT from Holland...

Can only imagine now that we will spend more on young British players who give us all of the above as well as resale value (eg Brooks and Madison last year)

Therefore obvious players are Reece James, Jarrod Bowen etc...
As for the striker only one man really fits the Bill...MITROVIC..

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I think it will be higher than last season. I think it will be similar to our promotion season when Tony "went for it". The last two seasons have shown what works and what doesn't and I don't think he'll want to run it as close as last year. I agree with posters that think the wages will also go up. I expect a busy close season.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
need to have a good look at leeds , villa and derby ...depending on who comes up .......!! 40 - 50 mill i reckon 10 -15 mill coming in from transfers , unless as owen and sherwood suggested Arse offer 60 mill for d&d ....then were fooked.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The biggest problem is offloading some of the existing squad for money, let alone get them off the payroll. Most of the big value signings have disappointed - the question is whether TB will let them go on the cheap to get them off the books. They have a new recruitment regime that will want to splash the cash. We can’t get some of the decisions so wrong again, can we?
TB won’t gamble money - he usually goes for certainties. No certainties in football though.

The only big value signings to have dissapointed have been Ali J and Locadia really, haven't they?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
£1.99 on a dynamite striker from suid Afrika who can be loaned out to some Belgium club

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is a concern that if a player comes in on high wages, players like Dunk will be knocking on the door asking for a raise (we don't know).

Would it be possible to sign someone like,say, Mata for a signing on fee of £10 million, spread over the life of his contract and pay him something like £30,000 per week?

That way we would have a quality player for £10M and a reasonable wage of £30,000. (There are probably good reasons why this can't be done. Just a thought).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
3 signings that all match our requirements, fast, skillful and a step up from the current players, and all for undisclosed fees.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There is a concern that if a player comes in on high wages, players like Dunk will be knocking on the door asking for a raise (we don't know).

Would it be possible to sign someone like,say, Mata for a signing on fee of £10 million, spread over the life of his contract and pay him something like £30,000 per week?

That way we would have a quality player for £10M and a reasonable wage of £30,000. (There are probably good reasons why this can't be done. Just a thought).

The good reason you're looking for is that some spendthrift club like West Ham will pay more (with their taxpayer subsidised stadium).

My son was going on about rumours of us signing Mata the other day. Much as I'd LOVE to see him playing for us, money means it's almost impossible.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Ambition will be important in this window.

We need to sign somebody that will have heads turning and show we mean to stay here. Finished article with experience in a decent league.

Unlike some people who think we need a squad uprooting, I think we just need 2-3 players of real quality.

Unfortunately one of them is in the CF role which we seem to talk about every summer and will be a substantial investment, unless we go the free transfer route.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here