Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New: Barber on Ashworth, recruitment, u23s, and the vision.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
There's a new interview with Paul Barber in the Argus this morning
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...e-for-seagulls-in-the-summer-transfer-window/

"Staying in the Premier League" isn't very inspiring.

"One of the things we have been talking about since Dan has been here is what the next vision for the club is?
"That's a really important discussion for us to have as a board of directors this summer.
"Certainly for the first half decade I was here, preparing ourselves to play in the Premier League, to have a category one academy, putting ourselves in a position where women's Super League was a possibility and a reality, has been the internal and external mantra.
"That's a vision that has been very clear, very tangible, very easy for people to relate to.
"Now what is the next vision? Because staying in the Premier League isn't very inspiring to the outside world.
"Internally it's still very important, because people internally understand what it drives and how important it is.
"But our next challenge is to identify clearly and articulate clearly what the next vision is. And we need to make sure it is reasonable but aspirational, that it is exciting but achievable.
"All of those variables in-between are what we are debating. We don't want to set expectations so high that we set ourselves up to fail but what we don't want to either put out something or talk about something that people say 'Well is that it?
'After all these years of struggle, of hardship, of going through the lower leagues, is it just about surviving now?'
"That's quite a challenge and we are not the first club to have faced that challenge. I think people know now we will always be very honest.
"The chairman is very focused on what is important to the club. Staying in the Premier League is really important but he is also realistic enough to know it's very difficult.
"At some point in our future we may have to drop back down and fight to come back up. We hope we don't. We try to put in place all the things that make that as unlikely as possible.
"But this is the Premier League, as Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, Derby, Aston Villa, Newcastle have seen, it's not impossible for clubs bigger than ours to fall out of it."

Ashworth central to recruitment.

"Dan has been looking at recruitment with Paul Winstanley (head of recruitment) from the day he arrived," Barber (below) said.
"He will have started to talk players with Paul, the manager, the chairman, and that work has been going on behind the scenes.
"Already there are a number of different targets identified and once again it's about strengthening the squad where we can, how we can.
"Dan will be integral to that process. The other thing he is very focused on is the development of young players and that's something he created his reputation from at West Brom.
"The same with England. Dan is the first person to give Gareth Southgate all the credit for what is happening with the senior team but people need to look deeper than just the senior team and what has happened with the younger teams since Dan took over as technical director there.

Ashworth wants more of a pipeline from the u16s, 18s, 23s.

"His commitment to young talent is significant. He's already had many meetings with John Morling (academy chief) and Simon Rusk (under-23s coach) and the under-18s and under-16s coaches about the talent we have got in the pipeline, how we can bring that forward faster, what we need to do to make that talent pipeline even more productive over the years to follow.
"One of the significant things about bringing Dan in for Tony and I was having another very senior technical voice around the club overlooking all the things that are football in the club.
"It sounds on the outside obvious but you actually need to have a certain size of club and stature in order for that role to be truly effective.
"We felt we had reached that point, reached the Premier League, women's Super League, category one status, we've got state of the art facilities both at the stadium and training ground.
"We've got all the infrastructure in place, now we need to make the infrastructure even more productive and efficient, create even more value for money.
"In order to do that we felt we needed a more senior, technical voice, somebody that was independent if you like of the first team and academy teams - that could have a very clear vision."

via https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/17...e-for-seagulls-in-the-summer-transfer-window/

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Very promising and encouraging read

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Interesting stuff. The "very senior" role for Dan Ashworth is obviously substantial and significant (presumably comes with a hefty "playing side of the club" type salary...) - I hope he is a big success.

The vision for the club is unlikely to be anything other than maintain Premier League status and to improve incrementally? A pipeline from the Academy - mostly imported young players - is part of the aspiration but more realistically it just comes down to financial planning and how big can be projected budgets.

FWIW I am expecting us to spend quite a lot more money on transfers/wages in 2019/20 than any previous year and this should be reflected in a much improved team next season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So good to have serious people running the club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A pipeline to turn Juniors into seniors.

There appears to be a block right at the end of that tunnel.
New singings aren't allowed to play, what chance have the kids got.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
So how does FFP work in the Prem? We've seen that teams like Palace couldn't spend much as they were near the ceiling for FFP, so any idea what we have to adhere to and where we are on that scale? Surely that would determine how much we have can spend this summer?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting stuff. The "very senior" role for Dan Ashworth is obviously substantial and significant (presumably comes with a hefty "playing side of the club" type salary...) - I hope he is a big success.

The vision for the club is unlikely to be anything other than maintain Premier League status and to improve incrementally? A pipeline from the Academy - mostly imported young players - is part of the aspiration but more realistically it just comes down to financial planning and how big can be projected budgets.

FWIW I am expecting us to spend quite a lot more money on transfers/wages in 2019/20 than any previous year and this should be reflected in a much improved team next season.

It's not necessarily all about spending more money, but an absolute necessity is spending it much smarter. Which means, say, not buying duds from the Eredivisie under the illusion you've unearthed a bargain (these players will have been on scouting radars since the age of about eight). And it should be a prerequisite that any player we sign comes with a work permit already granted. Hopefully Dan! Dan! will get a grip on the recruitment fundamentals to ensure the first team gets a much needed boost in quality earlydoors.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

The power behind the Gareth Southgate throne. Ironically, he may not have been able to influence the direction of the national team affairs if Big Sam hadn't have succumbed to the metaphorical brown envelope.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
There’s a few on here who will be disappointed they haven’t been considered :whistle:

It was a devastating blow, but with support from my family and friends I hope to come to terms with this.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Too many chiefs and not enough Indians

Don't panic – I heard there's been contact with Calde regarding some transfer targets from the Kerala Blasters and the Delhi Dynamos :thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So when do you think we will hear about what this new vision is?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here