Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New: Barber on Ashworth, recruitment, u23s, and the vision.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8903429 said:
Which ones, can't be fussed to Google :blush:

Not sure?

Huddersfield were one, but Hoyle is selling up (and they’re down)

Levy at Spurs?

Note you did say RUN by, as opposed to owned by.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Its striking to me that CH has said in the past, survival is the next big challenge for us, where as the new director of football has just said, that’s not a very inspiring vision for the future! This could highlight a possible difference in future ambitions!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its striking to me that CH has said in the past, survival is the next big challenge for us, where as the new director of football has just said, that’s not a very inspiring vision for the future! This could highlight a possible difference in future ambitions!

1. Hughton said that, as you say, 'IN THE PAST'. At the time he was right.
2. Ashworth isn't 'Director of Football'.
3. The comment you've quoted isn't from Ashworth at all - it is from Paul Barber.

Apart from that, interesting.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I must say, the negatives about Bloom do tend to come from inferences we make about the club, or decisions that we are informed of. When he actually speaks, Paul Barber does come across as a very good man, with the right plans in place.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Another 10 points a season would be a good start.

This requires improvements to the first team and an increase in the cap on our wage bill.

Yes, although I'd suggest that an extra 10 points is perfectly within the competencies of the current squad...

In another season Murray’s header goes in against Newcastle, cardiffs late winner is ruled out for offside, Chambers doesn't whack a once in a lifetime screamer in for Fulham and we get a draw , Foster doesn't make a string of saves to keep a 0-0, we get the pen against burnley and dunk doesn't slip over, there's another 10 points right there.

And we're still losing to Cardiff, Bournemouth and Saints at home, giving up a last minute winner to spurs, losing a 2-0 lead at West ham, conceding an equaliser to10-man Leicester.

Point being, while all clubs can point to what-ifs, i think we're very much at the bottom end of our expected points range, a couple of good signings and that extra 10 points should be there.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
1. Hughton said that, as you say, 'IN THE PAST'. At the time he was right.
2. Ashworth isn't 'Director of Football'.
3. The comment you've quoted isn't from Ashworth at all - it is from Paul Barber.

Apart from that, interesting.

1. CH has said we need about 4 or 5 years to get up to speed with the demands of the Prem, this was a conversation this season.
2. Director of football is the same role as technical director.
3.The comment is from Paul but the discussion has been since Dans arrival at the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. CH has said we need about 4 or 5 years to get up to speed with the demands of the Prem, this was a conversation this season.
2. Director of football is the same role as technical director.
3.The comment is from Paul but the discussion has been since Dans arrival at the club.

1. And he's right. Though that doesn't preclude any other ambitions, during that period (success in cups, player development, etc)
2. Is it? No idea.
3. True, but still wrong to attribute the quote to the wrong man (and use it to suggest a potential clash with the manager).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

What Barber said in the interview was a lot more nuanced. Not sure why you trying to imply there is a difference between the Ashworth / Barber and Hughton but i can't read that there is one.

"Certainly for the first half decade I was here, preparing ourselves to play in the Premier League, to have a category one academy, putting ourselves in a position where women's Super League was a possibility and a reality, has been the internal and external mantra.
"That's a vision that has been very clear, very tangible, very easy for people to relate to.
"Now what is the next vision? Because staying in the Premier League isn't very inspiring to the outside world.
"Internally it's still very important, because people internally understand what it drives and how important it is.
"But our next challenge is to identify clearly and articulate clearly what the next vision is. And we need to make sure it is reasonable but aspirational, that it is exciting but achievable."

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What Barber said in the interview was a lot more nuanced. Not sure why you trying to imply there is a difference between the Ashworth / Barber and Hughton but i can't read that there is one.

"Certainly for the first half decade I was here, preparing ourselves to play in the Premier League, to have a category one academy, putting ourselves in a position where women's Super League was a possibility and a reality, has been the internal and external mantra.
"That's a vision that has been very clear, very tangible, very easy for people to relate to.
"Now what is the next vision? Because staying in the Premier League isn't very inspiring to the outside world.
"Internally it's still very important, because people internally understand what it drives and how important it is.
"But our next challenge is to identify clearly and articulate clearly what the next vision is. And we need to make sure it is reasonable but aspirational, that it is exciting but achievable."
Yeah I read that as Premier League winners in three years, Champions League winners in five.

:)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I take no delight in seeing CH gone but I could see the difference in ambition!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's easy for Chairman and Deputy Chairman to have ambition. From the Managers point of view, I would imagine its difficult to remember that you came to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in Alligators.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I think Hughton going now is the correct decision, much better now than at Christmas so a new manager can be in place for the new season and have a say on the players that come in.

I'm really not sure about Ashworth, it all sounds great and bringing in young players is the way to go but there is just something that makes me think this could all end in tears, I don't know why but just feel this could be the biggest gamble the club have ever made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here