Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The ' enhanced ' rail service for this Sunday from Southern Rail?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Am I missing something here? The Trainline app suggests that if coming from Eastbourne it's two trains an hour and the same for the return. Not very enhanced at all! :(

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Is that one more than usual for a Sunday ?

Doh! Silly me didn't appreciate its a relative statement. And not confirmation of an adequate service to get a large number of people to and away from a packed football stadium.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is that one more than usual for a Sunday ?

No. It's two an hour on any Sunday - I went to Eastbourne last Sunday to see Sussex get battered and got my train with a minute to spare, saving me a 40 minute wait.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
No. It's two an hour on any Sunday - I went to Eastbourne last Sunday to see Sussex get battered and got my train with a minute to spare, saving me a 40 minute wait.

So we can conclude that claiming it is enhanced is in fact a complete lie? It's the same Sunday service as usual.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking pretty shit from Brighton to Falmer on sunday before the game also. Trains at 05, 17 and 47 past each hour. That's going to catch a lot of people out. A half hour gap between trains in the run up to kick off? FFS Southern :facepalm:

Edit: Just had a look at saturday's timetable. Trains every 10 minutes! Is it possible the dozy buggers think the game's being played on saturday?! Or have they maybe just not updated the timetables yet?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking pretty shit from Brighton to Falmer on sunday before the game also. Trains at 05, 17 and 47 past each hour. That's going to catch a lot of people out. A half hour gap between trains in the run up to kick off? FFS Southern :facepalm:

Edit: Just had a look at saturday's timetable. Trains every 10 minutes! Is it possible the dozy buggers think the game's being played on saturday?! Or have they maybe just not updated the timetables yet?

I’m pretty sure that what you are currently seeing is what we’ll get. I remember it was about the same for the last Sunday game we had against Chelsea.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So we can conclude that claiming it is enhanced is in fact a complete lie? It's the same Sunday service as usual.

Thinking about it, there was a change at Lewes (a quick one but a change nonetheless). If there are two direct trains from Eastbourne, yes, that is an improved service

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

You may well "FFS Southern" but you also need to "FFS Barber". When he pays Southern out of our travel tax he should have set minimum service requirements, particularly for evening games. It might prove impractical to put on additional services but there is absolutely no bloody excuse for 3/4 carriage trains.

Things aren't so bad for Saturday 3pm ko because fans have more time to get to the ground but for evening ko the service has been appalling. eg the Cardiff game, the 21 mins (?) past 7 train only had three carriages and the train I caught after the game only had 4. Bloody ridiculous. Hopefully Barber will have some kind of Service Level Agreement in place for next season setting out the minimum standard service that Southern are expected to provide on matchdays.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I’m pretty sure that what you are currently seeing is what we’ll get. I remember it was about the same for the last Sunday game we had against Chelsea.

I agree it will be on Sunday - the trains for that Chelsea game were awful. We were held in a queue at Lewes station before the match and had to wait the best part of 45 minutes for a train going north at Falmer station afterwards.

Additionally this Sunday if you're coming from east of Eastbourne, there's a rail replacement bus service due to engineering work too.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
"Enhanced" presumably means lengthened trains rather than additional trains in this instance, but you can scarcely blame people for thinking it means more trains. Chelsea all over again. FFS.

Incidentally, trains every 10 minutes on a Saturday has been the standard timetable for a year now.

It would be pretty bizarre if that was the case, because they've known about this fixture for nearly 11 months. In fact it's the only fixture out of the whole season guaranteed not to change date or even kick-off time!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
You may well "FFS Southern" but you also need to "FFS Barber". When he pays Southern out of our travel tax he should have set minimum service requirements, particularly for evening games. It might prove impractical to put on additional services but there is absolutely no bloody excuse for 3/4 carriage trains.

Things aren't so bad for Saturday 3pm ko because fans have more time to get to the ground but for evening ko the service has been appalling. eg the Cardiff game, the 21 mins (?) past 7 train only had three carriages and the train I caught after the game only had 4. Bloody ridiculous. Hopefully Barber will have some kind of Service Level Agreement in place for next season setting out the minimum standard service that Southern are expected to provide on matchdays.

I'd dare say there is an agreement in place which is adequate, we could have a train every 10 minutes if we wanted but I don't think anyone would want to pay the increase in season ticket prices, it all comes at a cost.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s possible that they haven’t updated the National Rail app yet. They often do so at the last minute. I would check the club match day email. What we DO know is that the Coastway West will be as shithouse as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s possible that they haven’t updated the National Rail app yet. They often do so at the last minute. I would check the club match day email. What we DO know is that the Coastway West will be as shithouse as ever.

Hope this is the case. Usual match day shuttles aren’t showing at the moment - Lewes/Falmer every 20 mins or so.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"Enhanced" presumably means lengthened trains rather than additional trains in this instance, but you can scarcely blame people for thinking it means more trains. Chelsea all over again. FFS.

Incidentally, trains every 10 minutes on a Saturday has been the standard timetable for a year now.

That was the game I swore would be the last that I used the 'service' that Southern put on. It was an absolute joke going eastwards.

el punal

You are joking, aren’t you? Do you honestly think that Barber or anyone else from the club can influence Southern/Govia/Tom Cobley to provide an adequate service on match days. SASTA are a law unto themselves as I, and thousands of fans, passengers and daily commuters have found out to our cost over the last few years. Maybe a better suggestion would be to send Paul Barber a magic wand and see if that does the trick.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Possible. But I remember hoping that was the case for Chelsea too only to be disappointed.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Hope this is the case. Usual match day shuttles aren’t showing at the moment - Lewes/Falmer every 20 mins or so.

The usual match day shuttles are just part of the normal Monday to Saturday timetable. It's been like that since May 2018. All Southern seem to do now is lengthen trains rather than run extra trains, even if the match is on a Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if they have run 0 extra trains for football this season, excepting the days that engineering work has been rescheduled.

With the eyes of the world on us on Sunday you might think they would try and run some additional trains, but I doubt they will.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The usual match day shuttles are just part of the normal Monday to Saturday timetable. It's been like that since May 2018. All Southern seem to do now is lengthen trains rather than run extra trains, even if the match is on a Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if they have run 0 extra trains for football this season, excepting the days that engineering work has been rescheduled.

With the eyes of the world on us on Sunday you might think they would try and run some additional trains, but I doubt they will.

It's not like they can even delay the kick-off on this one. With the whole football world watching, maybe still time to petition PB to try and exert pressure on Southern to act like a responsible transport partner?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here