Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Eurovision Song Contest 2019 - The Official Thread & Sweepstake

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
The whole thing is utterly cringeworthy from the dreadful dreary songs to the muppets waving flags in the audience. I really thought that I was in a lunatic asylum when the Romanian presenter (i think) began yodalling before giving their results. Why people take it all so seriously is beyond me, finishing last is actually a badge of honour.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I tried but was beaten after 4 or 5 songs, absolutely unwatchable :shrug:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I'll remember this Eurovision for having the best looking female presenters, I know one was Leo's ex girlfriend. Thought the staging effects were top level as well. In summary I thought it was a very well organised and put together Eurovision show, especially from such a tiny country.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Is it not time that we stopped competing in this farce although I think that I read that we cannot
pull out perhaps after Brexit and leaving Europe we can.

I agree that Eurovision is crap (IMHO) but of course we don't have to take part, absolute rubbish that we are not allowed to pull out.

Even more ridiculous to suggest that we are 'leaving Europe'. We may be leaving the European Union (please God, no!), but that does not change our geographical status.

Many competitors in Eurovision are not in the European Union.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought the venue and presentation was excellent, Graham Norton was funny and the songs were generally of a better standard than previous years.

As far as the UK was concerned the bloke was nervous and his first few lines were barely audible so he can't complain at being in the bottom quarter but his song was better than Germany's.

I think the biggest problem with the show is that some songs come out weeks before Eurovision and so the public know the song and are more likely to vote for it. The winning Dutch song was released on 7th March 2019, has already reached No. 1 and shifted 80,000 units in the Netherlands and reached No. 7 in Belgium. A lot of the crowd were singing along to it from the start.

The UK could win Eurovision any time we wanted, we'd just need to get Elton John or Robbie Williams to write a song with kiss-ass Euro love-in lyrics, release it a month beforehand and all proceeds go to charity.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Every few years i do find a song that i actually like... and it is cheesy and we always do sh1t however it's a chance for me to see some fit girls, to have a few beers and to enjoy an evening with my mum and girlfriend who love it, but by the end of the night my mums is always "Why do we bother, we always come last". You'd have thought she would have learnt after 22 years of poop.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The whole thing is utterly cringeworthy from the dreadful dreary songs to the muppets waving flags in the audience. I really thought that I was in a lunatic asylum when the Romanian presenter (i think) began yodalling before giving their results..

You make it sound like these are all bad things.

If anyone is tuning in to Eurovision for the quality of songs or presenters, or for an evening of culture then they are showing more signs of lunacy than the flag wavers.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ay-homophobia-lgbt-viktor-orban-a9221321.html

Hungary’s far-right government pulls out of Eurovision song contest because it is ‘too gay’

Commentator describes competition as ‘homosexual flotilla’ and says country’s mental health would be better if it did not participate

It is fair to say the competition has been turned into a musical pan-European Pride Festival. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing because the competition isn't in a position to take itself seriously because of the systemic vote-rigging that's been going on for decades, even before the Iron Curtain countries were admitted.

Hungary needs to lighten up.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here