Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Eurovision Song Contest 2019 - The Official Thread & Sweepstake

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Could you use this as a yardstick for our popularity across Europe, I think so.
The competion is a camp farce, our song was average but there was far worse, the public vote is an indication because music does not matter in Eurovision, it very rarely does.
We are a laughing stock across Europe.
But hats off to Iceland for the Palestinian scarves and stuff, unfortunately you won't make it to the airport.

I think the Dutch, Italian and Swedish songs have been massive chart hits across Europe, so are well known to the voting public, so no real surprise there that they did so well. We just don't get with the Eurovison formula anymore and produce a song that stands out in any way shape or form. I'm not saying we'll ever win it again, far from it, but the choice we had this year for our entry was dross compared to others.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
To be honest the UK song was total sh1t even by Eurovision Song Contest standards. The poor kid we sent was stitched up like a kipper and he could barely sing. We have one of the best music industries in the world, but anyone decent would not go near that competition, it’s a career ender.

As you say why should any genuine talent go near Eurovision ? Tom O'Dell has this and it,s will be viral over Europe. I am happy to lose but to happy individuals/bands like this that write and play there own stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQu2zb9dCE0&list=RDhQu2zb9dCE0&start_radio=1&t=172

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Hi all,

Our act was woeful. We are the equivalent of the kid at school who doesn't revise and turns up to the exam. They think they'll pass because mum is a school governor.

The biggest problem we have is not having any exposure prior to the main event. Most people go into the final with a favourite or a top 3 they like, we don't generate any momentum. I note that apart from Italy the rest of the big 5 did very poorly. For those who didn't know Italy and the Netherlands had been doing very well on Spotify in the lead up to Eurovision. There's a youtube video dating to the end of March which gives the spotify stats. Italy (at that point) had 33 million downloads. The UK had 250k.

Boiling it down to simply 'they hate us' doesn't quite work. Russia aren't exactly popular, they came 3rd because the act was quite good.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the Dutch, Italian and Swedish songs have been massive chart hits across Europe, so are well known to the voting public, so no real surprise there that they did so well. We just don't get with the Eurovison formula anymore and produce a song that stands out in any way shape or form. I'm not saying we'll ever win it again, far from it, but the choice we had this year for our entry was dross compared to others.

I'll say it then, we will never win Eurovision again. There, hows that?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hi all,

Our act was woeful. We are the equivalent of the kid at school who doesn't revise and turns up to the exam. They think they'll pass because mum is a school governor.

The biggest problem we have is not having any exposure prior to the main event. Most people go into the final with a favourite or a top 3 they like, we don't generate any momentum. I note that apart from Italy the rest of the big 5 did very poorly. For those who didn't know Italy and the Netherlands had been doing very well on Spotify in the lead up to Eurovision. There's a youtube video dating to the end of March which gives the spotify stats. Italy (at that point) had 33 million downloads. The UK had 250k.

Boiling it down to simply 'they hate us' doesn't quite work. Russia aren't exactly popular, they came 3rd because the act was quite good.
Eurovision is only about voting for the best turd.

It's taking on a narcissistic edge in recent years where the celebration is all about how excruciatingly crap it's become, when in reality it always was really crap.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We could put out Calvin Harris and Ferrell Williams and we still wouldn’t get points.

Yes our song dross but out of every country in Europe only 3 members of the public voted for us. That says more about how we are viewed as a nation than anything else... we are telling Europe that we don’t want them, we don’t want to be a part of them..we want to go it alone. Does anyone really think that the Europeans still care about us?

As the bbc funds this, then I think as license fee payers we ought to really tell them to funk off now. Yesterday was hilariously embarrassing when they said 3/points.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We could put out Calvin Harris and Ferrell Williams and we still wouldn’t get points.

Yes our song dross but out of every country in Europe only 3 members of the public voted for us. That says more about how we are viewed as a nation than anything else... we are telling Europe that we don’t want them, we don’t want to be a part of them..we want to go it alone. Does anyone really think that the Europeans still care about us?

As the bbc funds this, then I think as license fee payers we ought to really tell them to funk off now. Yesterday was hilariously embarrassing when they said 3/points.

I think so too.
As Wogan said" this is not a musical competition any more".
But I have to say that a lot of the partisan voting did not happen this year (except Greece/Cyprus of course.
We are looked on by Europe the way we look at Manchester United and Chelsea fans.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not right, Dave. We got three points (all from ROI as it happens) but that's not three people, it means we came eighth in the public vote. I have no idea how many people voted in Ireland but let's assume 5,000, we'd probably have snaffled something like 200 votes there. Even in countries that didn't vote for us, we'd probably have gained some votes along the way.

And if you think it's political, to do with our Brexit stance, how do you explain Germany which got nul points from the voting public. That's the most pro-EU country out there and it didn't help them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not right, Dave. We got three points (all from ROI as it happens) but that's not three people, it means we came eighth in the public vote. I have no idea how many people voted in Ireland but let's assume 5,000, we'd probably have snaffled something like 200 votes there. Even in countries that didn't vote for us, we'd probably have gained some votes along the way.

And if you think it's political, to do with our Brexit stance, how do you explain Germany which got nul points from the voting public. That's the most pro-EU country out there and it didn't help them.

That is splitting hairs a bit.....so the only people who voted for us in the whole of Europe was Ireland? Not one person outside Ireland got on to their list!

With regards to Germany it was a dreadful song.

Over the many years I have watched this, we have only done well very few times!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton

Also Russia, Norway, Iceland, Israel, Switzerland etc. etc. are not EU members. To be honest I was just baffled by our final position. The song and singer for UK was no where near being the worst. Mind you, I thought The Netherlands song was crap so what do I know?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
To be honest the UK song was total sh1t even by Eurovision Song Contest standards. The poor kid we sent was stitched up like a kipper and he could barely sing. We have one of the best music industries in the world, but anyone decent would not go near that competition, it’s a career ender.

Agreed - our song was as bland as F**k and he can't sing. Still I won a prize in the office sweepstake getting the UK and getting £10 for us coming last! It's not all bad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That is splitting hairs a bit.....so the only people who voted for us in the whole of Europe was Ireland? Not one person outside Ireland got on to their list!
!

No, no, no .... as I explained above, we could have got several hundred (several thousand, possibly) from all across Europe, not just enough to register on the voting system.

Our song wasn't great and it was the worst performance of the night but the story is not quite as gloomy as you make it out to be.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
A quote from a somewhat pissed up guest of ours who watched the last 10 minutes of it .

" So 38 people in the world voted for Sweden, Ha Ha , what's the point , Wankers . "

So i tried to pick the bones out of his analysis and frankly i couldn't , ....... very well done to everybody on the planet who didn't vote for germany by the way .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here