Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The seven worst signings in the Premier League this season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yep best not let the truth get in the way of a good witch-hunt.

If only Ali could be as shitehouse as some posters clearly want him to be.
It's such a shame they can't be content with him being disappointing.

Truth based on highlights [emoji23][emoji23]
He might have been involved in more (stop doing him down).....

Disappointing is about right - but if after a preseason and couple of months in he is still struggling, it may be that he just isn’t up to this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Out tactics don't suit Locadia either - also playing in an unfamiliar league - but at least he's got us out of our seats a few times.

And, to be clear, that's a bloody low bar to reach!

Albion played well on Sunday. AJ wasn't injured. What did he contribute?

Really is a low bar to be fair :-D

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Its simple - he doesn't fit the Hughton "system" (if it can be called that) which begs the question - why the **** did we buy him in the first place. I don't think he's a bad player, he just doesn't fit.

Read some interesting commentary on here and twitter from our Iranian friends who think this is exactly the same problem as he’s had under Carlos Queiroz both pre and post joining us.

Doesn’t shine in a set up with requirements for tracking back and defending. I feel sorry for him.

By the way it’s not that he can’t defend - he’s ok - but this set up doesn’t allow him the floating freedom that other player’s in his preferred role have - think Hazard [yes I know] or Mahrez when at Leicester and to a lesser extent perhaps a Siggurdsson at Everton type role.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Expensive flop. There's no getting away from that. The worse thing is, he doesn't even look like scoring let alone create an assist.

Yep i agree will that article.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep best not let the truth get in the way of a good witch-hunt.

If only Ali could be as shitehouse as some posters clearly want him to be.
It's such a shame they can't be content with him being disappointing.

Well, at least we have a new idiom for 'disappointing'.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Read some interesting commentary on here and twitter from our Iranian friends who think this is exactly the same problem as he’s had under Carlos Queiroz both pre and post joining us.

Doesn’t shine in a set up with requirements for tracking back and defending. I feel sorry for him.

By the way it’s not that he can’t defend - he’s ok - but this set up doesn’t allow him the floating freedom that other player’s in his preferred role have - think Hazard [yes I know] or Mahrez when at Leicester and to a lesser extent perhaps a Siggurdsson at Everton type role.

It could be all that, or it could be not being good enough.

Siggurdsson is hell of a player, able to shine in a poor Swansea team, looks great at Everton, but unable to make to make that step up in quality at Spurs. That is essentially what we have with Jahanbakhsh. Undoubtedly a talent at the level he's been playing, but the Premier League is a big step up, systems or no systems.

He's had problems under Hughton and Queiroz, because the Premier League and International football are both big steps in the quality needed.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It could be all that, or it could be not being good enough.

Siggurdsson is hell of a player, able to shine in a poor Swansea team, looks great at Everton, but unable to make to make that step up in quality at Spurs. That is essentially what we have with Jahanbakhsh. Undoubtedly a talent at the level he's been playing, but the Premier League is a big step up, systems or no systems.

He's had problems under Hughton and Queiroz, because the Premier League and International football are both big steps in the quality needed.

I’m a glass half full type so I try to see the positive and assume he’s good enough but hampered by negative tacticians.

Would be interesting to look at AZ Alkmaar’s tactical disposition during his best seasonal return and maybe give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m a glass half full type so I try to see the positive and assume he’s good enough but hampered by negative tacticians.

Would be interesting to look at AZ Alkmaar’s tactical disposition during his best seasonal return and maybe give him the benefit of the doubt.

He is hampered all right. I think we can agree on that, maybe just not the why.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He'll be here next season regardless of what we think of him.

For a start who'd want to take him off our hands? And would they pay anywhere near enough to allow us to recoup 'expenses', as it were? My answer to those questions would be 'nobody' and 'not bloody likely' respectively.

More fool me but I'm still not prepared to completely write him off. Everything starts all over again next season and maybe he'll come good. A change of system (hah!) or different personnel alongside him and he may click into place. Who knows.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This forced narrative of yours is making you look a bit of a dick.

IMO, like

Yet the forced narrative of 'not even a single bit of skill' is fine I guess because that suits your opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Truth based on highlights [emoji23][emoji23]
He might have been involved in more (stop doing him down).....

Disappointing is about right - but if after a preseason and couple of months in he is still struggling, it may be that he just isn’t up to this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree and have said much the same many times over.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Actually shows him being subbed off twice. Amazing.

Anyone who can get Hughton to subbed him off at halftime is clearly doing something very wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here