Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was the last player to break through from the youth team/development squad?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You're aware we've only had 2 seasons in the Premier League aren't you? We have been capable of producing top flight players and I think it is a little bit unfair within 2 seasons to expect an academy player to have burst through and established themselves already.

What’s the excuse with L2, L1 & Champ level then? I’m also sure we played 4 seasons back in the 80s?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What’s the excuse with L2, L1 & Champ level then? I’m also sure we played 4 seasons back in the 80s?

But there currently are 3 players from our academy in the Premier League week-in-week-out.

Elphick has had some sort of career at the top level, but perhaps not established.

It could be better but not far to say there is nothing.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
What is slightly odd to me is that we have the 3rd best u23 team in the country and as far as I can tell none of them are anywhere near to genuinely challenging for a premier league place. Our best player from that team couldn't get a game in League 1 when on loan

Not that I'm saying we shouldn't bother with the Academy or that the players are no good. But you can't ignore that the gap between our u23 and first team seems unbridgably large and you can't blame comparable teams for thinking maybe the money could be better spent, picking someone up from Italy or somewhere when you need to.

Our best player from that team made 15 appearances since January in League One for Peterborough. :wink:

To be fair, it is a big gap and who knows if any of the current crop will make it with us. However success could also be financial in fees received if some of these lads are sold. Gyokeres, Molumby and White have stood out for me. I like what I've seen of Ostigard too. We've got so many young internationals below U23 level now as well. As others have alluded to it, it's not going to happen over night.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But there currently are 3 players from our academy in the Premier League week-in-week-out.

Elphick has had some sort of career at the top level, but perhaps not established.

It could be better but not far to say there is nothing.

It is in the context of 118 years! We’ve always bought players in, that all I’m saying. We’ve certainly never produced an attacking player of any real note as far as I’m aware. The odd centre bank and that’s it. Pretty piss poor really but then Sussex isn’t a traditional hotbed of football so it’s tough. When geordies were kicking tin cans around backstreets, our local yoof was probably in Tuscany on an exchange...;)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What is slightly odd to me is that we have the 3rd best u23 team in the country and as far as I can tell none of them are anywhere near to genuinely challenging for a premier league place. Our best player from that team couldn't get a game in League 1 when on loan

He joined a team that were top of the league and had six strikers on the books. He was also injured for the first two months of the loan.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I believe Tau will walk straight into the first team if we can get him a permit.

Really? I’d be amazed if he did. Not saying he wouldn’t but what makes you so sure given far higher profile / signings that have flopped?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Not that I'm saying we shouldn't bother with the Academy or that the players are no good. But you can't ignore that the gap between our u23 and first team seems unbridgably large and you can't blame comparable teams for thinking maybe the money could be better spent, picking someone up from Italy or somewhere when you need to.

The gap is bridged to an extent by loans to Championship/League 1. The U23s finishing 3rd in the top division of PL2 is obviously great, but it doesn't mean that we have the 3rd best group of young players in the country. Chelsea, for example, have some outstanding young talent loaned out to various teams. If they were to have kept all those players in their U23 squad, they'd have probably torn PL2 a new bum-hole.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I know it is negative and I apologise but we will not see a player breaking through all the time we have a manager that is just shit scared of taking a gamble.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The biggest crime to me is us signing players like Steele & Burn last summer. Both were clearly not going to get a run in the first team and would only be squad players, why didn't we leave the space for Sanchez and White to gain some matchday experience?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
The problem we have is that every time we get a match ideal for blooding a few youngsters, Chris has to field predominantly a team of seniors to keep the remainder of his 25 man squad happy and near match fit.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We need them to be good enough to play in the Champ on loan, at that point we can start talking about will they break through.

A lot of names mentioned on this thread are there or there abouts and we really didn't have anyone remotely close to that level in the last 10 years except Dunk and March.

So I'd say clear improvement!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The biggest crime to me is us signing players like Steele & Burn last summer. Both were clearly not going to get a run in the first team and would only be squad players, why didn't we leave the space for Sanchez and White to gain some matchday experience?

A crime? You'll find that clubs need to name eight home grown players (HGPs) in order to name a 25 man squad. Signing Steele, Burn and Button last summer was a master stroke on that front, as it filled up those HGP slots without costing us a fortune. And Sanchez will benefit more from playing games at a lower level than sitting on the bench here.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A crime? You'll find that clubs need to name eight home grown players (HGPs) in order to name a 25 man squad. Signing Steele, Burn and Button last summer was a master stroke on that front, as it filled up those HGP slots without costing us a fortune. And Sanchez will benefit more from playing games at a lower level than sitting on the bench here.

Not quite true. the club can only have 17 non HGP's in the squad, we don't have to fill the extra spots instead just name a smaller squad. Considering the game time that players like Steele & Burn were likely to get was only ever going to be a cup run or being on the bench I would rather we gave those spots to U23's to help them gain experience. Otherwise they will never get a chance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here