Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton08 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’d guess March or Dunk.

When are these prospects going to come good? And how much is it costing the club to keep players like O’Hora and Sanchez who are never going to be up to PL or perhaps even league football?

To clarify I’ve seen the two examples I mentioned on dozens of occasions. Ahannach hasn’t developed as I’d hoped. Really looking to next season who will break through?

Percy Tau?

Dan Burn seems solid from the games I watched on telly though.

And yes, Connolly has loads of potential and looks very good for his level. But it’s not Chris McPhee or Scott Ramsey breaking into a dire League 2 team.

Please, enlighten me - what’s the point in our u-23s?
    Fair comments - only Dunk n March - really hope that Ashworth is all over this in the summer along with general recruitment which over the last 12 months has been poor

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Based on history alone I think it’s fair to say none of our academy players will become established PL stars. It ain’t going to happen folks, a 118 years weighs heavily against us!
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”

12 Not allowed!
      Yeah mate you’re probably right. Uncle Tone should probably jack it all in, clearly throwing MILLIONS at our youth development and not IMMEDIATELY getting a player good enough to play and improve our first team or sell for ££££ means it’s not working.

Christ on a bike.
      Two Mad Professors Two Professors's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Connolly seems to have that little bit of magic about him.
      If you have mental problems,it might be good manners to tell me before you start the abuse.Thank you.
      "I can only beat what's in front of me" he says.Maybe too much has caused your problem.Are you myopic as well?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by durrington gull View Post
      Fair comments - only Dunk n March - really hope that Ashworth is all over this in the summer along with general recruitment which over the last 12 months has been poor
      How do we compare with other mid-lower Premier League clubs?
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      What is slightly odd to me is that we have the 3rd best u23 team in the country and as far as I can tell none of them are anywhere near to genuinely challenging for a premier league place. Our best player from that team couldn't get a game in League 1 when on loan

Not that I'm saying we shouldn't bother with the Academy or that the players are no good. But you can't ignore that the gap between our u23 and first team seems unbridgably large and you can't blame comparable teams for thinking maybe the money could be better spent, picking someone up from Italy or somewhere when you need to.
      Surrounded by <div>s Grombleton's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      Based on history alone I think it’s fair to say none of our academy players will become established PL stars. It ain’t going to happen folks, a 118 years weighs heavily against us!
      Steve Cook? Admittedly not with us....
      Quote Originally Posted by LlcoolJ View Post
      You can't even read and yet you respond. It's really quite sad. Like a beached whale desperately thrashing about on a beach, except there's no one willing to push you back into the sea. Because the whale is a ****.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton08 View Post
      I’d guess March or Dunk.

When are these prospects going to come good? And how much is it costing the club to keep players like O’Hora and Sanchez who are never going to be up to PL or perhaps even league football?

To clarify I’ve seen the two examples I mentioned on dozens of occasions. Ahannach hasn’t developed as I’d hoped. Really looking to next season who will break through?

Percy Tau?

Dan Burn seems solid from the games I watched on telly though.

And yes, Connolly has loads of potential and looks very good for his level. But it’s not Chris McPhee or Scott Ramsey breaking into a dire League 2 team.

Please, enlighten me - what’s the point in our u-23s?
      Looks like you caught a few!

But I'll still play, next season I can see Molumby, Sanders, Gyokeres, Connolly, Sanchez, White, Cox and Collar all going out on loan to LEAGUE Clubs.
      Considering I remember young players going out on loan to Sussex non league sides we have already progressed far in the last 5 years.

All of them will gain experience and be ready to challenge for a first team place or be sold off profit if deemed not quite good enough.
      And that list doesn't include Walton, Ahannach, the two blokes we brought in Jan for the u23's etc.

It's going to take time, but you don't finish 3rd(?) in the top u23 league without having quality youth coming through.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Grombleton View Post
      Steve Cook? Admittedly not with us....
      Could say same about Dunk, however both got game time in l1 & champs with us. Breaking directly into PL side from youth is going to be even tougher. And as said, we’ve rarely produced players at former level never mind top division. I’m very skeptical not only given our history but because other clubs are so wealthy they Hoover up talent at every level.
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portlock seagull View Post
      Could say same about Dunk, however both got game time in l1 & champs with us. Breaking directly into PL side from youth is going to be even tougher. And as said, we’ve rarely produced players at former level never mind top division. I’m very skeptical not only given our history but because other clubs are so wealthy they Hoover up talent at every level.
      You're aware we've only had 2 seasons in the Premier League aren't you? We have been capable of producing top flight players and I think it is a little bit unfair within 2 seasons to expect an academy player to have burst through and established themselves already.
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010