Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was the last player to break through from the youth team/development squad?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d guess March or Dunk.

When are these prospects going to come good? And how much is it costing the club to keep players like O’Hora and Sanchez who are never going to be up to PL or perhaps even league football?

To clarify I’ve seen the two examples I mentioned on dozens of occasions. Ahannach hasn’t developed as I’d hoped. Really looking to next season who will break through?

Percy Tau?

Dan Burn seems solid from the games I watched on telly though.

And yes, Connolly has loads of potential and looks very good for his level. But it’s not Chris McPhee or Scott Ramsey breaking into a dire League 2 team.

Please, enlighten me - what’s the point in our u-23s?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Gyokeres got a run in the first team, I expect he may be the next to step up especially with Izzy out long term. I can see Connolly going out on loan to a Champ squad this summer, but it is high time one of these development U23 signings came good, it speaks volumes that the last two were Dunk and March, both home grown as opposed to being bought cheap from abroad and doing jack shit.

I thought Mateju was good when I saw him, right back and was on loan at Serie B winners Brescia this year made 18 apps. Maybe he will be one of them to come through if Bruno doesn't sign an extension?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Dan Burn is not a product of our academy and cannot be considered a youth player. He's 26, if he does become a mainstay in our first team he will not be the answer to the question "who was the last player to break through from our academy?"

The same applies to Percy Tau who is 24.

You seem to be quick to write off Sanchez who spent he first half of the season out on loan at Forest Green Rovers, I think they only lost 3 of the 17 games he played for them, that's a decent return in his first run at senior level. Jordan Pickford went out on loan to League 1 and 2 sides at a similar age and was 23 before he got himself really established in the Sunderland side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You seem to be quick to write off Sanchez who spent he first half of the season out on loan at Forest Green Rovers, I think they only lost 3 of the 17 games he played for them, that's a decent return in his first run at senior level. Jordan Pickford went out on loan to League 1 and 2 sides at a similar age and was 23 before he got himself really established in the Sunderland side.

Agree. It’s utterly ridiculous to write off a player who was sent out primarily to learn his trade. Of course he will make mistakes; as we all do when we’re learning.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I’d guess March or Dunk.

When are these prospects going to come good? And how much is it costing the club to keep players like O’Hora and Sanchez who are never going to be up to PL or perhaps even league football?

To clarify I’ve seen the two examples I mentioned on dozens of occasions. Ahannach hasn’t developed as I’d hoped. Really looking to next season who will break through?

Percy Tau?

And yes, Connolly has loads of potential and looks very good for his level. But it’s not Chris McPhee or Scott Ramsey breaking into a dire League 2 team.

You might want to start getting some of your facts right, before you right off the under 23's. Jesus wept, Burn is about 26 and was signed from Wigan as Cover for Dunk and Duffy. I dont even know where to begin with the Percy Tau Comment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Molumbey looked good in the cup team before he got injured. White has had rave reviews out on loan, and Cochrane looks very close. Plus Gyokeres, Sanders and Connolly already mentioned.
Not sure how keen CH is to give the youngsters a go though - we do know he is somewhat risk-averse. Would like to see a few making the bench next season - fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’d guess March or Dunk.

Percy Tau?

This summer the Academy at Lancing has been open 3 years. I think it might be in the coming years until we really see how well it's working.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Dan Burn is not a product of our academy and cannot be considered a youth player. He's 26, if he does become a mainstay in our first team he will not be the answer to the question "who was the last player to break through from our academy?"

The same applies to Percy Tau who is 24.

I know for a fact that there are people at the club who rate Sanchez as the best goalkeeping prospect we have.
Joey is right.

Safety guaranteed.
Decent performance at the weekend.
People need to find something, ANYTHING to moan about I guess.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Collar, Barclay and Gyokeres played in the League Cup this season. Gyokeres has been in the squad for the FA cup games.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I’d guess March or Dunk.

Percy Tau?

Fair comments - only Dunk n March - really hope that Ashworth is all over this in the summer along with general recruitment which over the last 12 months has been poor

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Based on history alone I think it’s fair to say none of our academy players will become established PL stars. It ain’t going to happen folks, a 118 years weighs heavily against us! :)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Yeah mate you’re probably right. Uncle Tone should probably jack it all in, clearly throwing MILLIONS at our youth development and not IMMEDIATELY getting a player good enough to play and improve our first team or sell for ££££ means it’s not working.

Christ on a bike.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Connolly seems to have that little bit of magic about him.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fair comments - only Dunk n March - really hope that Ashworth is all over this in the summer along with general recruitment which over the last 12 months has been poor

How do we compare with other mid-lower Premier League clubs?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What is slightly odd to me is that we have the 3rd best u23 team in the country and as far as I can tell none of them are anywhere near to genuinely challenging for a premier league place. Our best player from that team couldn't get a game in League 1 when on loan

Not that I'm saying we shouldn't bother with the Academy or that the players are no good. But you can't ignore that the gap between our u23 and first team seems unbridgably large and you can't blame comparable teams for thinking maybe the money could be better spent, picking someone up from Italy or somewhere when you need to.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Based on history alone I think it’s fair to say none of our academy players will become established PL stars. It ain’t going to happen folks, a 118 years weighs heavily against us! :)

Steve Cook? Admittedly not with us....

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I’d guess March or Dunk.

Percy Tau?

Looks like you caught a few!

But I'll still play, next season I can see Molumby, Sanders, Gyokeres, Connolly, Sanchez, White, Cox and Collar all going out on loan to LEAGUE Clubs.
Considering I remember young players going out on loan to Sussex non league sides we have already progressed far in the last 5 years.

All of them will gain experience and be ready to challenge for a first team place or be sold off profit if deemed not quite good enough.
And that list doesn't include Walton, Ahannach, the two blokes we brought in Jan for the u23's etc.

It's going to take time, but you don't finish 3rd(?) in the top u23 league without having quality youth coming through.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Steve Cook? Admittedly not with us....

Could say same about Dunk, however both got game time in l1 & champs with us. Breaking directly into PL side from youth is going to be even tougher. And as said, we’ve rarely produced players at former level never mind top division. I’m very skeptical not only given our history but because other clubs are so wealthy they Hoover up talent at every level.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Could say same about Dunk, however both got game time in l1 & champs with us. Breaking directly into PL side from youth is going to be even tougher. And as said, we’ve rarely produced players at former level never mind top division. I’m very skeptical not only given our history but because other clubs are so wealthy they Hoover up talent at every level.

You're aware we've only had 2 seasons in the Premier League aren't you? We have been capable of producing top flight players and I think it is a little bit unfair within 2 seasons to expect an academy player to have burst through and established themselves already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here