Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lets be realistic - The Official Dunk and/or Duffy transfer thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: :lolol:

Still adamant £10,000,000 was 'the' valuation at the start of the season.

It's been a while, I finally thought he'd calmed down and decided to be a little bit normal, but no.

One more time folks...

...#NeverWrong.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Sure it'll take a big cheque, or two, but we'd be naive in the extreme to think no other club will be calling Mr Barber this summer.

So who'll be making that call?
How much money will it take to stop the phone being instantly hung up?
and, I think, most intriguingly
Will any club come in for both?

Some how I think Dunk's valuation of £10m, (by one illustrious poster) back in August might be a little off. :lol:

We don't need to sell.

We have over £200 million coming in from TV rights.

Dunk and Duffy will only go if they decide to leave.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Dunk has signed new contracts for the Albion (ie: pay rises) in :
Jul 14, Aug 15, Sep 16, Aug 17, and Oct 18.

I think the club are well rehearsed now in fending off bids for their players, which of course is what they intend to do.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think Duffy is the most likely target of the two and that Southgate has virtually discarded Dunk from his plans, which is good for us

What makes you think that? Dunk got called up when injuries opened a space in the squad. He missed out on the next squad due to Tarkowski being fit again but nothing has happened to suggest he's no longer in Southgate's thinking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We don't need to sell.

We have over £200 million coming in from TV rights.

Dunk and Duffy will only go if they decide to leave.

Us not needing to sell doesn't automatically stop other teams offering to buy.
Which is kind of the point of this nonsense speculation thread.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
This 100%. They're good defenders, heart on the line, blocks etc.... but if you are a Top 6 or even Top 10 side you need a bit more than that and I am not sure if either have that. Could potentially see a mid-table side take a punt if they are desperate

Agreed. Even Van Dijk isn’t as good a “defender” as Dunk, but I know which one I’d prefer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Arsenal need defenders more than the others. United is a club in decline imo, they are likely to do a “Liverpool” when they were passed by United over the next few years imo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What makes you think that? Dunk got called up when injuries opened a space in the squad. He missed out on the next squad due to Tarkowski being fit again but nothing has happened to suggest he's no longer in Southgate's thinking.

Because he has always hated Dunk and has never rated him, he can't help himself even on this thread.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Dunks age. Realistically Euros 2020 is his last real chance at a tournament

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There is a real shortage of decent centre halves which is why the back four of many of the top 6 look so shocking. This will naturally inflate any transfers for dunk, Duffy or any other centre halves if they move this summer. I think we will be north of £40m for either of them with McGuire being used as the benchmark for valuation.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As you said BACK IN AUGUST his value and standing has risen since then during this season.

Quite right BG, it was pretty clear that his 2 x top of the table championship seasons, and his first Premier League season, still only had him in the £10m bracket, and I reckon you're being generous. :thumbsup:

Not sure what Southgate was looking at in October, as this season was barely underway, and he's basically called up a sub £10m footballer into the England setup. :shrug:

Luckily we've all seen the massive improvement in form that has jumped him up from £10m to £40m this year. Shame it's taken him this long to develop into a top player.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One radio discussion yesterday suggested D&D as a pair would instantly and significantly improve Man U or Arsenal and solve their CB issues.

Can see us having to fend off some hefty bids for one/both, particularly as they seem to have returned to form recently.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Have you been watching what Southgate has been doing with the squad?

World Cup 2018 the average age of our squad was 26. The only players 30 or over were Cahill, Young & Vardy.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Speculating on which club might be interested misses the point

The question I’d be asking is “what is Bloom’s record when offered bids for key players?” He’s consistently snuffed out interest and fended bids off.

Now, of course with player power what it is, one of both could submit a transfer request or effectively go on strike to engineer a bid. Unlikely I think. First, neither seem to the type, secondly, they are both on long term deals so can’t threaten to run down their contract and thirdly, I’m going to posit a guess that Tony Bloom would be quite good at that sort of game.

I think both will be offered new deals and both will sign. My guess to that Tony has realised recently that we’re going to have to change ourselves from a £40-45k p/w club to a £50 - 60k per week club to get to the level where we want to be, ie in amongst, Newcastle, Palace and Bournemouth. Our centre backs will be the first beneficiaries.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Dunk's international ambitions will not be met outside of a top six club, he'll be off to Arsenal for £25m

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Have you been watching what Southgate has been doing with the squad?

World Cup 2018 the average age of our squad was 26. The only players 30 or over were Cahill, Young & Vardy.

I don't see how this equates to Dunk being 'discarded.' Especially, as Southgate called him to tell him he was still in his plans.

Dunk added: “He (Southgate) told me I was still in his plans, he told me to keep fighting and that I could be in the next one so just keep going. Not everyone makes that call, that’s what I appreciated most about the phone call.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lewis-dunk-talks-wembley-nerves-14244033

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't see how this equates to Dunk being 'discarded.' Especially, as Southgate called him to tell him he was still in his plans.

Dunk added: “He (Southgate) told me I was still in his plans, he told me to keep fighting and that I could be in the next one so just keep going. Not everyone makes that call, that’s what I appreciated most about the phone call.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lewis-dunk-talks-wembley-nerves-14244033

I just think he is a bit too old to be part of the long term plans and I don't see how he will suddenly move up the pecking order. Especially with some of the younger defenders coming through such as Joe Gomez etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here