Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My thoughts

Quorn type meat replacements – I agree with whoever was saying they are surprisingly expensive

Animal rights lobby - If the animal rights people moderated their tactics and message they would get more people . Aggression, confrontation and shaming should be replaced by education and a positive message on the benefits of veganism.

Governments role in this – If the govt were a bit less in the pockets of agribusiness then we might have some worthwhile animal rights legislation, which would mean meat is more expensive, but we would know where it came from and that no animal has suffered. As a consumer it’s very hard to eat meat and work out the most ethical choice.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've not heard of either of these - it's difficult to keep up with all the veggie burgers hitting the market now and after the incredible success of the Beyond Meat IPO last week, there's bound to be a lot more!

I had an Impossible Burger in San Francisco last year. It was good, but mine didn't seem to "bleed" in the way it should. Maybe v2.0 will be better.

We ate at Woods in Worthing over the weekend and one of the veggie options turned out to be a Moving Mountains burger. It was very good.

Alcampo lounge do a Vegan BLT as well which is also very good. Yes products seem to appear every week. I am enjoying it while the boom is in full swing.

Looking forward to the Amex catering doing some decent vegan stuff next year, perhaps even a vegan piglets pie or sausage roll. .

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never. I enjoy meat to much.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Alcampo lounge do a Vegan BLT as well which is also very good. Yes products seem to appear every week. I am enjoying it while the boom is in full swing.

Looking forward to the Amex catering doing some decent vegan stuff next year, perhaps even a vegan piglets pie or sausage roll. .

They do a veggie pie do they not?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We are now into our 5th month of not eating meat doing it so I live longer ....................... So far so good

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not SURE how ENREST would cope if HE was TOLLED he could NEVER get his LIPS around a SAUSAGE at the Cliftonville AGAIN. Especially when HE sometimes has TOO at a TIME because his SAUCE gives him WON :eek:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'm not SURE how ENREST would cope if HE was TOLLED he could NEVER get his LIPS around a SAUSAGE at the Cliftonville AGAIN. Especially when HE sometimes has TOO at a TIME because his SAUCE gives him WON :eek:

But is their actually any meat in a Cliftonville sausage, he may have been veggie for years and not realised.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

So not a BLT then. No problem with vegan foods but why pretend it's something it's not?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
I’d like to get down to eating meat only a couple of times a week, and only eating really good quality organic produce, rather than the crap that is generally available in supermarkets. If everyone did that then surely we would be a healthier society and the planet would benefit?.

This sums it up perfectly for me.

Loads of people I know are gradually cutting down meat, and just having it as a one or two day-a-week treat. You can then afford to buy decent organic meat, that not only tastes a lot better, but also has higher animal welfare standards. Even better if you use your local butcher / farmer's market / direct from the farm, to cut down on food miles. It all makes a big difference to the planet in terms of carbon emissions.

We are saving more money, and gradually increasing the variety of non-meat meals. Yes, the ready-made options are more expensive (excluding the deals as mentioned already), but veg is generally much cheaper than meat, and in terms of taste you can't argue against a fiery lentil curry. It's also worth considering a slow cooker, which is great for bean stews, lentils, chickpeas etc - but again will save money as it uses little power. If you get into the routine of sticking that on in the morning, then it saves a load of time too.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So what does the B signify given its not Bacon?

Barf, I don't know I don't name them. I just eat them.

The semantics of why foods are called what they are 'Bombay Duck, Veal, Sausages is a book long.

The French meat industry is so worried it has changed the law, doesn't bother me what its called, but seems to upset a lot of meat eaters.

Out
Veggie burgers, quorn sausages, soya escalopes and seitan steaks.

In?
Veggie discs, quorn tubes, soya slices and seitan slabs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Veggie burgers and quorn sausages are fine. Its more the BS like 'veggie chicken nuggets' and 'veggie bacon' that grinds my gears a bit......

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I agree with many on here, it's not about brow beating, it's information, advice, suggestions and support. I've gone veggie for breakfast (which I only really eat if staying in a hotel) and lunch. Dinner is about choice and, as some have said, smaller portions of meat or fish. I'd say we have veggie Dinner once or twice a week, fish two or three times and the rest smaller portions of meat.

BTW can all of those who eat processed meat stop eating the veggie sausages as well as they make a great bubble substitute!

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Veggie burgers and quorn sausages are fine. Its more the BS like 'veggie chicken nuggets' and 'veggie bacon' that grinds my gears a bit......

But why, they are just words. Textured protein soya slice or slice of dead pigs back instead of bacon or vegan bacon just don't sell as much I imagine.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Fellow veggies: If you could eat meat that had been grown in a laboratory and had never been a sentient creature, would you ?

I had the impossible burger when I was over in the states recently. Realised that I no longer like the taste of meat, I thought I would love it but I just couldn't enjoy it. So not for me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But why, they are just words. Textured protein soya slice or slice of dead pigs back instead of bacon or vegan bacon just don't sell as much I imagine.

they are descriptions that bear no relation to the substance. burgers and sausages are a shape, chicken nuggets and bacon are explicit things. drop the meat, drop the meat description?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here