Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Fellow veggies: If you could eat meat that had been grown in a laboratory and had never been a sentient creature, would you ?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Fellow veggies: If you could eat meat that had been grown in a laboratory and had never been a sentient creature, would you ?

I would have any need to, so much quality fake meat on the market now if that's what I wanted. Currently the Leon 'Love' Burger is my number 1 vegan dirty food.

I have not eaten meat for so long, I wonder what it would taste like to a meat eater.

Attachments

• Dv-vtMdWkAAMpvT.jpg
    Dv-vtMdWkAAMpvT.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 241

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

Not for me, but only as from a health point of view.

IF it was grown and they were able to prove it wasn’t harmful then yeah I’d be fine with it. Although I’d imagine it’d be strange at first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Do your research too, it has been proven that plants feel and that individual leaves communicate with other leaves when they are picked. Should we stop eating plant life too?

The human anatomy is set up to eat a combination of meat and vegetation, hence our incisors for tearing meat and molars for chewing the cud!

If you have an issue with how meat is farmed, then that’s a different question all together.

This 100%. We are animals, meat eating animals. There is nothing inherently wrong with Homo Sapiens eating meat, it is 100% natural, nobody can seriously deny that.

Intensive farming and the way humans process meat is a different story altogether though.

Still can’t believe you get these moronic vegans who make their dogs follow a vegetarian diet.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'm not considering becoming a veggie but am frequently presented with the idea of reducing the amount of meat in my diet to maybe 5 dinners a week. My biggest hurdle is the lack of imagination and ideas for what else I could eat

Can I set you simple challenge?

This summer if you have or are going to a BBQ, take along a pack of No Bull burgers from Iceland.

They’re are excellent even my hardest anti veggie mates admit it’s decent.

Just BBQ it like you would a meat burger and whack it in a burger with the usual sauce/salad/cheese etc and then you’ll have one option.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Pretty much the same time as me, I think, and your philosophy mirrors my own.

We cook meat for the kids (weekend bacon sandwiches are a must for my son) and when we entertain. Each to their own and all that.

Another same here.

I’m veggie, partner vegan.

Son (5inSep) eats meat based diet. One I think it’s harder to get kids eating the quantities of veggies they need when growing so much and two it’s up to him what he eats.

I just wish some of the extremists could agree.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This 100%. We are animals, meat eating animals. There is nothing inherently wrong with Homo Sapiens eating meat, it is 100% natural, nobody can seriously deny that.

Intensive farming and the way humans process meat is a different story altogether though.

Still can’t believe you get these moronic vegans who make their dogs follow a vegetarian diet.

Yep, I have actually seen Vegan dog ice-cream (ice-cream made FOR dogs, not from).

Sorry, when did dogs become non meat eaters and for **** sake when did they start going to Ben & Jerry's?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can I set you simple challenge?

This summer if you have or are going to a BBQ, take along a pack of No Bull burgers from Iceland.

They’re are excellent even my hardest anti veggie mates admit it’s decent.

Just BBQ it like you would a meat burger and whack it in a burger with the usual sauce/salad/cheese etc and then you’ll have one option.

Just make sure you keep your non-meat burger away from all that horrible meat, utensils, BBQ itself... Better still, stay at home!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I eat meat but have certainly reduced my intake over the years and definitely pay attention to animal welfare. I cook a lot of pasta dishes and these are piss easy to make without meat.

For me, the best advance in this area has been the concept of a more environmental based choice ie reduced consumption and less environmental impact. The Frau was a veggie and she said one of the worst elements was tiresome right wing types who can only see black and white and will think they’re smart by picking you up because you had a leather watch strap etc etc. I’m sure you know the type (head over to the Brexit thread if you don’t). Flexitarianism dispenses with all of this. I subscribe to this flexitarian idea but I thinks it’s fair to say most are more flex than me.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Started to do this earlier this year fora few reasons:

1) Climate change - it is the single biggest contributor
2) Health - every time I ate meat I noticed my stomach wasn't too happy. There are loads of downsides medically wise to eating large quantities of meat.
3) Animals - I live close to farms and I look at the cows and their calves and I just think why are we eating these fellas/ladies. I get the whole argument that they wouldn't be here otherwise but fundamentally we are doing things to livestock that we would be horrified if we did to our dogs and cats. What is the difference?

I'm certainly not an activist and I won't be going vegan just yet, but I'm eating less dairy as well and drinking less milk.

We have to find ways of helping our climate or our children or their children are totally buggered.

Looked into getting an electric car but it's just absurdly expensive at the moment. When the prices come down a bit I'll be doing that too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... fundamentally we are doing things to livestock that we would be horrified if we did to our dogs and cats. What is the difference?

cats and dogs are pets. the fact we treat them preferably is what defines them as pets rather than livestock/cattle.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is statements like' meat is murder' that piss a lot of people off and do no good for your cause, whatever it may be.
Moderate your tone and language and you may take more people with you.
Indeed, it's the equivalent of the Brexit thread rhetoric.

I'd certainly like to see animal welfare vastly improved.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

And, for the record, I will still give my cats meat.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Indeed, it's the equivalent of the Brexit thread rhetoric.

I'd certainly like to see animal welfare vastly improved.

I'm sure everyone would and I like to think that this country is in the forefront of such aims.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
With all due and all that there are hundreds of recipes online, it's no different from a carnivore coming up with a variety of meal options.

Here in lies the problem. I have about 10-15 meals we eat on a regular basis and each contains meat, I never have to look up a recipe I just know how to make them. I also cannot be bothered to read through hundreds of recipes to find something I might like when there are plenty I currently eat which I do like. Equally I cannot get behind these meat substitute products....either eat meat or don't but Quorn is just wrong

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would have any need to, so much quality fake meat on the market now if that's what I wanted. Currently the Leon 'Love' Burger is my number 1 vegan dirty food.

I've not heard of either of these - it's difficult to keep up with all the veggie burgers hitting the market now and after the incredible success of the Beyond Meat IPO last week, there's bound to be a lot more!

I had an Impossible Burger in San Francisco last year. It was good, but mine didn't seem to "bleed" in the way it should. Maybe v2.0 will be better.

We ate at Woods in Worthing over the weekend and one of the veggie options turned out to be a Moving Mountains burger. It was very good.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And, for the record, I will still give my cats meat.

If I took meat out of my cat's diet, the little sod would just go out and catch his own, as he does several times a week anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here