Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Pretty common amongst the passionate vegan population in my experience- have quite a lot of veggie/vegan friends......had one particular pal who went full-on vegan evangelist though. Had to turn him off on FB because literally every single post (often multiple times daily) was vegan propaganda - slaughterhouse ‘hidden cams’, clips of dogs being skinned in the Far East etc etc etc plus very regular reminders of how stupid we were to drink cows milk and suchlike. He changed his profile name to John Vegan Smith, got a massive vegan tattoo, the lot.

Each to their own.......but there are plenty that are preachy and beyond.

Plenty that are non-preachy too. As with everything, the shouty few tend to skew the debate.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Plenty that are non-preachy too. As with everything, the shouty few tend to skew the debate.

True enough......I tend not to see any balance of preachery with this particular debate though (not many meat-eaters posting pics of their steak with ‘Look at this beauty, not a piece of greenery in sight’ alongside it........

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

You are right, Bakero, and, of course, they usually end up damaging their argument/case/ points, because they piss people off!

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
To be fair dazzer, we are not cows and there is no biological reason for us to drink their milk, but many on this thread can't apparently live without it.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If everyone gave up meat we would just see a rise in intensive farming for crop with the use of environmentally damaging insecticides and other harmful practices.

Personally could never give up meat and have no burning ambition to either but good luck to anyone taking the plunge

UN research shows that at times 80% of the worlds farmed land is just livestock, this produces just over 15% of the world calorific intake. By doubling crop production to 40% of the worlds farmed land you could feed another 3.5 billion people. Then have about 60% of framing land freed up for conversion, forestry and housing. Not sure what your rise in farming is based on as it would decrease land use and save more of the rain forests.

Attachments

• World Agriculture .jpg
    World Agriculture .jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 130

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be fair dazzer, we are not cows and there is no biological reason for us to drink their milk, but many on this thread can't apparently live without it.
I know that....its the evangelical pronouncements that get a bit wearing after a while though. Hardly touch the stuff myself.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
It’s not even close to being the single biggest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

Apologies. I meant it say it is the biggest contributor of certain greenhouse gasses such as methane emissions. However, reports indicate that, on their current trajectory, animal agriculture will look to surpass the fossil fuel industries in terms of contributing to green house gases within the next decade. Within 20 years animal agriculture will account for roughly 80 per cent of the allowable greenhouse gas budget. The Same report also stated, as many have, that adopting a plant based diet is the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The majority of meat my household eats is killed by me and it certainly hasn’t stopped us eating it.

Knowing it was humanely killed and undertaking the preparation in readiness for the kitchen, means I’m happy to continue eating meat without losing any sleep.

How do you humanely kill an animal?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
the preachy bit is questioning peoples character. from my rough calc, i would save more from not driving to a supermarket, not having a computer or not commuting to work than stop eating meat, on a modest meat consumption.

What I said was what you did with the information provided depends entirely on your character. What are you saving exactly? If you’re referring to those lessening your impact on the planet, there is a whole host of scientific evidence that begs to differ.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

My youngest and his wife are of the non preachy side. They are both vegan but are happy to cook us meat - albeit, ironically, supplied by the daughter in law’s ethical farming parents - when we stay.

They are also supportive of my approach to how I obtain the meat we consume.

There are plenty of vegans out there who have just decided to stop eating meat and aren’t interested in telling the world how to live.

More power to their elbow.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Overconsumption is more of an issue than overpopulation. Reducing the consumption of meat is the single best day to day way of reducing an individual’s environmental impact. This is backed up by studies from several reputable sources.

We don’t need meat. It is not a dietary necessity. Many would argue that killing a sentient being because we value their lives lower than our taste preferences, is senseless.

Well again you make assumptions. I’ll decide what is a dietary necessity for myself.

Not sure why you think you are the authority of determining this.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm well on the turn. Whenever we're out I always check the veggie and vegan options. Strangely, I often find the vegan options more appealing. I'll still have the occasional rare steak but processed meat you can shove up your harris.

The Mrs has been cutting down on red meat for quite a while too.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm well on the turn. Whenever we're out I always check the veggie and vegan options. Strangely, I often find the vegan options more appealing. I'll still have the occasional rare steak but processed meat you can shove up your harris.

The Mrs has been cutting down on red meat for quite a while too.

Aris

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Well again you make assumptions. I’ll decide what is a dietary necessity for myself.

Not sure why you think you are the authority of determining this.

sorry to get involved but he's right. It's not a decision to make- meat is not something that we need to eat. Now you may choose to eat it, like myself, because we like the taste etc. but that's a choice we're making- it's not something we need to do to survive

I think that's what he's getting at

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Me and the mrs are giving up meat when it runs out in our fridge/freezer. Can we all become veggies?

Stopped eating meat years ago. Pretty much vegan these days.

I can't be arsed going through this thread as much of it seems to be:

"I'll eat what I want"
"Does it bother you that they're sentient beings that die?"
"Stop preaching"

My own view is that as humans there are lots of things we can do, but choose not to due to ethics.

Anyway FWIW

I stopped eating meat for ethical reasons. It was difficult at first, but these days there are plenty of recipes and loads of options when you eat out.

Definitely healthier.

Never really liked milk so that wasn't hard to drop. Butter a little trickier.

Eat what you want, I don't give a ****, but don't get all butt hurt when someone explains that the animals you eat don't want to die, are intelligent, have emotions and feelings.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
UN research shows that at times 80% of the worlds farmed land is just livestock, this produces just over 15% of the world calorific intake. By doubling crop production to 40% of the worlds farmed land you could feed another 3.5 billion people. Then have about 60% of framing land freed up for conversion, forestry and housing. Not sure what your rise in farming is based on as it would decrease land use and save more of the rain forests.

I suspect that if all the hillsides and moorland where the sheep are living was turned into fields of wheat, the calorific intake might not go up as much as they like to suggest.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
How do you humanely kill an animal?

Almost any human way of killing an animal is more humane than nature's way. What do most wild animals die of? Choice of three - they starve to death; they die of disease; they get eaten alive. Even chucking them in the canal with a brick round their neck is more humane than any of those. (I'm not advocating that.)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here