Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can we all become veggies?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...for the sake of a hamburger. I can make you aware of the single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact. What you do with that information depends entirely on your character.

doubtful the single biggest impact on the environment, unless maybe you dont use power, technology, heating, car, air travel etc. meat would only contibute a proportion of total food impact on the environment, which is considerable but necessary (short of massive de-population). and a shame you veered into preachy territory.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I couldn’t go full vegan, my day is pretty much centred around eggs and I like cows milk. I’ve sort of compromised and now very rarely have meat indoors. I save it for meals out or a fry up in the cafe.
Given up bacon and sausages at home for health reasons, the occasional roast chicken is pretty much our only meat meal at home.
I’m replacing beer and lamb mince with quorn.
I am a fish eater though and have happily replaced most meat dishes with fish. Prawn stir fry etc.
I do miss charcuterie meats though. Your Parma hams and your salami. That’s saved for summer treats when I’m out and about and more often than not can replace with haloumi.
Trying to aim for a Mediterranean diet. Oils instead of butter, olives, fish, fresh salad stuffs.
But no, vegan would never be a willing option for me.
Could murder a nice shin of beef before bed though!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
doubtful the single biggest impact on the environment, unless maybe you dont use power, technology, heating, car, air travel etc. meat would only contibute a proportion of total food impact on the environment, which is considerable but necessary (short of massive de-population). and a shame you veered into preachy territory.

Animal agriculture is the single biggest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. It is an achievable, day to day way to reduce your environmental impact that has been backed up by scientific studies and reputable sources. I don’t think pointing that out is preachy tbh.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Animal agriculture is the single biggest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. It is an achievable, day to day way to reduce your environmental impact that has been backed up by scientific studies and reputable sources. I don’t think pointing that out is preachy tbh.

I agree, not preachy. The facts are undeniable and the more they are repeated the more chance we have of it sinking in.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A ham sandwich at lunchtime occasionally but my evening meal is usually meat free.

I could become vegetarian if I wanted to although I'm fighting on a few different battles at the moment - no smoking, drinking and cutting down on diazepam.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Actually not having kids is the best thing you can do for the environment.

Slaughtering animals for food is not senseless is it. There is an outcome.

Overconsumption is more of an issue than overpopulation. Reducing the consumption of meat is the single best day to day way of reducing an individual’s environmental impact. This is backed up by studies from several reputable sources.

We don’t need meat. It is not a dietary necessity. Many would argue that killing a sentient being because we value their lives lower than our taste preferences, is senseless.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

the preachy bit is questioning peoples character. from my rough calc, i would save more from not driving to a supermarket, not having a computer or not commuting to work than stop eating meat, on a modest meat consumption.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
A ham sandwich at lunchtime occasionally but my evening meal is usually meat free.

I could become vegetarian if I wanted to although I'm fighting on a few different battles at the moment - no smoking, drinking and cutting down on diazepam.

We're all too tied up on labels, many people are part time vegetarians/carnivores/vegans and mix up their diet, some meat eaters I know don't do dairy, it's not always black and white, I haven't eaten red meat for decades but occasionally eat chicken or fish, along with some dairy.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
the preachy bit is questioning peoples character. from my rough calc, i would save more from not driving to a supermarket, not having a computer or not commuting to work than stop eating meat, on a modest meat consumption.

Cutting down on going to work is harder than reducing meat consumption for most people.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Cutting down on going to work is harder than reducing meat consumption for most people.

fair enough but the claim was the biggest, not easiest. i just think people are more receptive to reducing consumption than proscriptive direction.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Love my meat, but our diet is mainly based on chicken and fish although we enjoy good quality red meat and game, as and when.
Get a bit pissed off with the preachy lecturing by some on here re the killing of sentient animals etc.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
You'd soon stop eating meat if:
1. You saw the processes involved in animal slaughter.
and
2. You yourself had to kill the meat you get in nice little sanitised supermarket packaging. Lovely.

The majority of meat my household eats is killed by me and it certainly hasn’t stopped us eating it.

Knowing it was humanely killed and undertaking the preparation in readiness for the kitchen, means I’m happy to continue eating meat without losing any sleep.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Love my meat, but our diet is mainly based on chicken and fish although we enjoy good quality red meat and game, as and when.
Get a bit pissed off with the preachy lecturing by some on here re the killing of sentient animals etc.

Pretty common amongst the passionate vegan population in my experience- have quite a lot of veggie/vegan friends......had one particular pal who went full-on vegan evangelist though. Had to turn him off on FB because literally every single post (often multiple times daily) was vegan propaganda - slaughterhouse ‘hidden cams’, clips of dogs being skinned in the Far East etc etc etc plus very regular reminders of how stupid we were to drink cows milk and suchlike. He changed his profile name to John Vegan Smith, got a massive vegan tattoo, the lot.

Each to their own.......but there are plenty that are preachy and beyond.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If everyone gave up meat we would just see a rise in intensive farming for crop with the use of environmentally damaging insecticides and other harmful practices.

Personally could never give up meat and have no burning ambition to either but good luck to anyone taking the plunge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here