Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool fans have their doubts about us...

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
Well said. I was born in Brighton, but spent several years living in Toxteth - and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Stood on The Kop (the real one!) occasionally - a great experience; occasionally watched Everton too for that matter - but Brighton always remained my team. Spent more time watching us lose at Tranmere and Southport (we always lost there at that time!) than at Goodison or Anfield.

I'm sure there are some people who watched Harry Enfield's scouser sketches and thought they were documentaries! :facepalm:

I live about two miles north of Maghull, the northern limit of Liverpool and drink in Netherton (a place which makes Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb look like Stepford) and trust me when I say there are a lot of Harry Enfield's Scousers still plying their trade. :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not fence on this as I grew up in Liverpool so have a real soft spot for them.

This was in the 1970a and 80s when Liverpool was on its knees with 40% youth unemployment, militant Labour in control, the worst Heroin epidemic in UK history raging and the docks and shipyards closing.

It’s no surprise to me that folk in Sussex think of them as “scallies” thieving, dealing and otherwise up to no good but that isn’t how they were seen a generation before.

Liverpool USED to be associated with music, the arts, acting, and enterprise. The people there are warm and generous and the love of their team is quite something to behold. It’s a shame that poverty, drugs and deprivation drove the scumbag scousers south in search of work...bringing with them their drug habits and “rob anything not nailed down” mentality but I refuse to paint that proud city as full of scum because I know different.

I can understand Edna’s antipathy. I imagine she has dealt with lots of characters from Liverpool in, shall we say, a professional capacity. I DO hope though that she doesnt take a negative approach whenever she hears a Scouse accent...I’m sure she doesn’t but, hey, just saying.

Bollocks. I'm going to have to take you off 'ignore'. Can't actually remember why I blocked you now. Probably had a bit of sand in my G string :lolol::bowdown::thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
On a more serious note. I must just call to mind the historic association...in my mind...between destiny and fate.

It was fate thar led us to Wembley in ‘83 after doing the all conquering “Reds” at Anfield...all these years later...it’s destiny that we hand them the title at the Amex.

Then we’re quits.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Bollocks. I'm going to have to take you off 'ignore'. Can't actually remember why I blocked you now. Probably had a bit of sand in my G string :lolol::bowdown::thumbsup:

I think it was something to do with medical students...but can’t be bothered to check.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
This

Used to love seeing “that guy”with a portable radio in the stands and telling everyone around to shhh as the news comes in. Always wondered whether the worse scenario of relaying an incorrect news story to a stand of supporters has ever occurred and to what level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS

It happened just before injury time in THAT Forest game.

Standing in the back row, someone near said that Reading had gone 3-2 up against Burnley, meaning our playoff chances were gone.

Cue a bit of despondency around, but within a few seconds he was corrected by a couple of people, so that little bit of hope was rekindled.

And then over to our right, CMS crosses and...........

ULLOA!!!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
As a club I've always found something weird and creepy about City with their sense of entitlement.

I can remember back in the late 70s, when under Allison they paid out ridiculous record sums on players who flopped.
Plus any well known established star players who ended up at City in the 70s & 80s never seemed to flourish.

With the mercenary way they get through managers, when I saw this doco last year it didn't surprise me that City would cover things up, given that they would stoop to any level to develop young talent.
https://youtu.be/Kz85ZyOGWeE?t=797

I was stoked when Brighton beat City at the Withdean, shortly after they started to get bank rolled by their new billionaire owners. A nil nil result on Sunday will do me nicely.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
As a club I've always found something weird and creepy about City with their sense of entitlement.

I can remember back in the late 70s, when under Allison they paid out ridiculous record sums on players who flopped.
Plus any well known established star players who ended up at City in the 70s & 80s never seemed to flourish.

With the mercenary way they get through managers, when I saw this doco last year it didn't surprise me that City would cover things up, given that they would stoop to any level to develop young talent.
https://youtu.be/Kz85ZyOGWeE?t=797

I was stoked when Brighton beat City at the Withdean, shortly after they started to get bank rolled by their new billionaire owners. A nil nil result on Sunday will do me nicely.

Even when everyone felt sorry for City, always in United’s shadow, noisy neighbours blah blah blah.. I always gave them the skunk eye.

Always a miserable away day, entitled fans...and that ****ing awful “Blue Moon” dirge.

Now they’re champions of the World and...it’s still a miserable away day, entitled fans...and that ****ing awful “Blue Moon” dirge, only now sung by “lifelong” fans from Guildford and Margate.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well. If Liverpool finish as champions of Europe. I, for one, think that’s a fair price to pay.

Weird, isn't it? City are now favourites for the Premier League title, the thing Liverpool covet most (I'm sure the Champions League will be a decent consolation, but everybody knows what they really, really want is the PL), while Liverpool will end up with the reward that City wanted above all others this season, victory in Madrid (sorry Ajax/ Spurs, but we all know how this one ends).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Used to love seeing “that guy”with a portable radio in the stands and telling everyone around to shhh as the news comes in. Always wondered whether the worse scenario of relaying an incorrect news story to a stand of supporters has ever occurred and to what level

It has, plenty of times, back in the days before mobile phones and widespread internet access, when the only way to receive such news was via said radio. Can't think of any specific examples, but false crowd rumours have always happened.

Also, I'm not sure if it came via the crowd, but when Alan Ball was Man City manager, they were drawing at home to Liverpool, and Ball was told, incorrectly, that Southampton, a rival for the last relegation spot, were losing. He infamously told one of his players, as the final minutes ticked away, to get the ball in the corner and play for time, thinking the draw for City was therefore enough.

Saints were in fact level, time ran out at Maine Road, and City were relegated :lol:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
It's always Brighton to win in Saturday's circumstances. I'd never want anything other than an Albon win whatever else is at stake.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Damon? I thought Oasis won that britpop clash fair and square.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Weird, isn't it? City are now favourites for the Premier League title, the thing Liverpool covet most (I'm sure the Champions League will be a decent consolation, but everybody knows what they really, really want is the PL), while Liverpool will end up with the reward that City wanted above all others this season, victory in Madrid (sorry Ajax/ Spurs, but we all know how this one ends).
Weird...or poetic?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Well I grew up in the East End of Glasgow - I was there longer early 60s till late 80s and I can assure you, it was no bed of roses growing up. Same issues, melting pot of Scots and Irish and thrown in was the added pressure of Religious Bigotry and the feeling of Subserviancy to Westminster

Yes they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and I find them one of the most Racist Nations in the world and that is coming from a Scotsman. I don't like that side to them and I am not proud of it - However,
Scottish People could laugh watching an egg boil.

I don't hold with the fact that people should cling on to past negatives as a justification for current day behaviour. It may be a mitigating factor but it most certainly shouldn't be used as an excuse.

:lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It has, plenty of times, back in the days before mobile phones and widespread internet access, when the only way to receive such news was via said radio. Can't think of any specific examples, but false crowd rumours have always happened.

Brighton v Blackpool, 1978.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I live about two miles north of Maghull, the northern limit of Liverpool and drink in Netherton (a place which makes Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb look like Stepford) and trust me when I say there are a lot of Harry Enfield's Scousers still plying their trade. :wink:

I put it to you, Sir, that you are, in fact, a Woolyback.

The true Scouse would NEVER hang around in Maghull or Netherton. The moustachioed stevedores you encounter are aping the fine, upright gentlemen who reside within a mile of the pier head or wherever they claim as their spiritual home.

Mind you BIRKENHEAD lies within a mile of the Pier head...and they go to great lengths to correct anyone stupid enough to mistake their heavy Liverpool accent for scouse!

Now. Birkenhead. That really IS a shithole. I mean...it gives shitholes a bad name for not being shitty enough.

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014

We do indeed know how this ends have you seen klopp’s record in finals?! Shame they went through all that last night just to lose to Ajax in Madrid.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Well I grew up in the East End of Glasgow - I was there longer early 60s till late 80s and I can assure you, it was no bed of roses growing up. Same issues, melting pot of Scots and Irish and thrown in was the added pressure of Religious Bigotry and the feeling of Subserviancy to Westminster

Yes they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder and I find them one of the most Racist Nations in the world and that is coming from a Scotsman. I don't like that side to them and I am not proud of it - However, Scottish People could laugh watching an egg boil.

I don't hold with the fact that people should cling on to past negatives as a justification for current day behaviour. It may be a mitigating factor but it most certainly shouldn't be used as an excuse.

The sectarian angle in Glasgow is certainly more disgusting than anywhere in the UK outside Belfast. It was a factor in Liverpool too, I remember fights in Hope St. between Catholic’s and Protestants but very minor in comparison to the blind hatred you refer to.
Racism in Liverpool was less than elsewhere in the country because it houses the oldest Black and Chinese communities in the UK (freed slaves / labourers...a legacy of the port) but not absent..as evidenced by the Toxteth riots.

What I meant was that, according to the national statistics from the late 70’s and right through the 80’s, Liverpool was consistently right at the top of the league for poverty, drug abuse and civil unrest. The free port attracted all kinds of dodgy shipping from Asia and the subcontinent which meant lots and lots of lovely Heroin which tore through the city and my circle of friends like a wildfire.

Glasgow was dreadful too. Probably on a very close par with Liverpool but I’m not playing “shit trumps” I’m just saying that, because I grew up there, have friends there still and know the genuine loveliness of Liverpudlians (as well as their faults) I’m hoping they win the title.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here