Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool fans have their doubts about us...

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Now. Birkenhead. That really IS a shithole. I mean...it gives shitholes a bad name for not being shitty enough.

God yes.

I have, over the years, visited places such as Middlesbrough, Hull, Thornton Heath, Gillingham, Stoke-on-Trent and Portsmouth in the course of attending football matches. The fact that Birkenhead still lingers in my mind as the worst of them all is quite telling.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
We do indeed know how this ends have you seen klopp’s record in finals?! Shame they went through all that last night just to lose to Ajax in Madrid.

Nah. Can't see Liverpool blowing this one.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It has, plenty of times, back in the days before mobile phones and widespread internet access, when the only way to receive such news was via said radio. Can't think of any specific examples, but false crowd rumours have always happened.

Sort of one for the modern age - Reading v Burnley, does that count

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
God yes.

I have, over the years, visited places such as Middlesbrough, Hull, Thornton Heath, Gillingham, Stoke-on-Trent and Portsmouth in the course of attending football matches. The fact that Birkenhead still lingers in my mind as the worst of them all is quite telling.

Burslum ?

Cracking day out (Vale away, last game of the season), but oh my days. The locals weren't even walking upright.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I’m not surprised. The pub I went to had a definite list to it. Just walking to the bar I felt pissed before I’d even had a pint! :eek:

That pub was so packed, I reckon it took more in that two hours than it would have for most months. Non stop singing about our consecutive championships.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
When I went to a match at Vale I needed to get some cash. A local told me where the only ATM was and when we got there it had been destroyed.
It seems the locals were more desperate than me!!!

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I put it to you, Sir, that you are, in fact, a Woolyback.

The true Scouse would NEVER hang around in Maghull or Netherton. The moustachioed stevedores you encounter are aping the fine, upright gentlemen who reside within a mile of the pier head or wherever they claim as their spiritual home.

Mind you BIRKENHEAD lies within a mile of the Pier head...and they go to great lengths to correct anyone stupid enough to mistake their heavy Liverpool accent for scouse!

Now. Birkenhead. That really IS a shithole. I mean...it gives shitholes a bad name for not being shitty enough.

Eh eh, calm down, calm down. I may live in the land of the Woollybacks but was brought up in Hanover and am a true Albion supporter. :)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I put it to you, Sir, that you are, in fact, a Woolyback.

The true Scouse would NEVER hang around in Maghull or Netherton. The moustachioed stevedores you encounter are aping the fine, upright gentlemen who reside within a mile of the pier head or wherever they claim as their spiritual home.

Mind you BIRKENHEAD lies within a mile of the Pier head...and they go to great lengths to correct anyone stupid enough to mistake their heavy Liverpool accent for scouse!

Arh Birkenhead, I worked there for a year at the Mobil Oil Blending Plant in the docks what a beautiful pleasant place. The security guards in the gatehouse would often reminisce about the cross bow battles over the road and the parades of police busts, there was a pub close and you would cross the road to walk past it such was the reputation. Getting the bus home from work would often involve the offer of a quick indulgence of the flesh for cash. Strangely though I never really felt threatened.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Arh Birkenhead, I worked there for a year at the Mobil Oil Blending Plant in the docks what a beautiful pleasant place. The security guards in the gatehouse would often reminisce about the cross bow battles over the road and the parades of police busts, there was a pub close and you would cross the road to walk past it such was the reputation. Getting the bus home from work would often involve the offer of a quick indulgence of the flesh for cash. Strangely though I never really felt threatened.

Spent a couple of years in Tranmere. Got burgled SIX TIMES. Often had plod jumping over the fence in our yard chasing thieves. All the girls...who can be very pretty..pregnant at 15...usually one of their dads mates being the father.

Utter dump.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
19/1 home win on Betfair this morning. OK, away win is the most likely outcome, but no way should we be out at 19. 17/2 the draw.

My (football related) fantasy for Sunday is Bruno roofing a late volley to win it after a telepathic one two with Knocky after a seering, (and improbable) late counter attack to break the deadlock as City push for a late winner to give them the title. Cue, despondent, disbelieving City players on their knees, merciless gloating from the home end .... all until the late news from Anfield suddenly filters through.
Pretty much exactly my dream scenario - 93rd minute Bruno winner followed by a hotly contested 97th minute equaliser (preferably a Henderson OG after a howler from Allison) for Wolves = perfect day out :)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
"Glenn Murray is just typical grade A commoner bloke. If he wasnt good enough to be a footballer he'd just be on benefits and you know it. Can't believe this club will still be in the Prem next season. Fully expect them to prop up the table with this lot next year." :rolleyes:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
"Glenn Murray is just typical grade A commoner bloke. If he wasnt good enough to be a footballer he'd just be on benefits and you know it. Can't believe this club will still be in the Prem next season. Fully expect them to prop up the table with this lot next year." :rolleyes:

Who said that...was it Clippity Klopp?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Burslum ?

Cracking day out (Vale away, last game of the season), but oh my days. The locals weren't even walking upright.

Grimsby must be the worst ground I've ever been too. Even worse than Port Vale (or whisper it, Selhurst)

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
That pub was so packed, I reckon it took more in that two hours than it would have for most months. Non stop singing about our consecutive championships.

That was the Bull's Head, Titanic brewery tap. Roy Chuter, under the guise of Not So Slim started to recommend decent pubs for upcoming away games in the programme. I think this was his first one and I got the impression that on a normal Saturday lunchtime it would be lucky to get three men and a dog as opposed to a couple of hundred thirsty Albion fans. I overheard the landlord saying he was close to running out of beer. After this episode Roy used to ring landlords of pubs he had mentioned, just to alert them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Grimsby must be the worst ground I've ever been too. Even worse than Port Vale (or whisper it, Selhurst)

Grimsby (as a ground) is alright, I've been to far worse than Blundell Park. I think I got the bingo bus there though, so was straight in and out of Cleethorpes PDQ with not much chance to take in the surroundings. Probably for the best.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here