Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Using both feet

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Am I the only person to be confused and bemused as to why so few professional footballers can use both feet? I don't mean to the same level of ability but to at least be able to use their weaker foot with a degree of comfort and confidence? The point was made again to me yesterday when Aubameyang elected to attempt a scissor-kick curler with the outside of his right boot instead of taking the much easier volley with his left.

In an era of marginal gains, I don't understand why this isn't an area that coaches focus on. An extra 20 minutes of training a day where players practice shooting, crossing or passing using only their weaker foot could yield massive results.

Is there a reason why this isn't done?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I am proud to say at my lower league level I could use both feet to pass, cross and score and never had a scooby what is was like to not know how to use both. In fact, at my junior school, my PE teacher, Mr Hill (Benny's brother - no lie) told me I had to choose between feet in order to play for the first team, different era, I know. I said left, but really I was right footed with no real allegiance to either. So seeing people picking up 30k a week for one foot does leave me rather gobsmacked.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Players do train with their weaker feet. But, the reality is that in a match situation, you will always prefer to get it onto the foot you're most comfortable with unless you have no choice.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Steve Gatting was hilarious at times watching him run in circles so he could kick with his left foot

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Gross missed a sitter with his right that would have been a side foot with his left......Leno's save from Solly diving header was a great bit of play that hardly got a mention ....funny old game .

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Gross missed a sitter with his right that would have been a side foot with his left......Leno's save from Solly diving header was a great bit of play that hardly got a mention ....funny old game .
I have no idea what his plan was there did he go for power or had a few quid on the score draw?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Like the OP, this has always surprised me, especially as body and mind will adapt to many things, often to the extent that the ability is as good as, if not sometimes even better on the non-favoured side after a period of adjustment and training. At work I switched my mouse right to left hand after getting RSI twinges in my right hand and now it's more natural using it left handed at work, although I still use a mouse right handed at home, maybe not comparable to kicking a ball, but even so...

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
All of our wingers and strikers (Locadia excepted) are poor with their other foot. Agree with the OP. I'm slow and weak but taught myself to be able to play with both feet so pisses me off when I see so many players unable to use two feet.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

My youngest asked me today how Gross missed that chance and I said because he favours his right foot and wasn’t confident to use his left. I agree it’s surprising how many one-footed players earn a living at the top level of football - but there are many examples of that, going back years, including great players such as Keegan, Owen, Lampard.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I am proud to say at my lower league level I could use both feet to pass, cross and score and never had a scooby what is was like to not know how to use both. In fact, at my junior school, my PE teacher, Mr Hill (Benny's brother - no lie) told me I had to choose between feet in order to play for the first team, different era, I know. I said left, but really I was right footed with no real allegiance to either. So seeing people picking up 30k a week for one foot does leave me rather gobsmacked.

I think the natural aptitude is genetic. I was very much like an opposite Knockaert, power but no control over my weak foot. Defenders knew which way I would go and I was not quick enough to spurt away, so the defender could recover and catch me up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Am I the only person to be confused and bemused as to why so few professional footballers can use both feet? I don't mean to the same level of ability but to at least be able to use their weaker foot with a degree of comfort and confidence? The point was made again to me yesterday when Aubameyang elected to attempt a scissor-kick curler with the outside of his right boot instead of taking the much easier volley with his left.
It's a fair question, but I don't think your example is the best. Using your other foot with a degree of comfort and confidence is one thing, using it to volley a crossed ball is another.

As to the answer...
some players just aren't any good with their other foot.

You're welcome.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think the natural aptitude is genetic. I was very much like an opposite Knockaert, power but no control over my weak foot. Defenders knew which way I would go and I was not quick enough to spurt away, so the defender could recover and catch me up.

But, you think, with the amount of money they are paid, they, as defenders would know which way to take a player. You don't allow Knocky inside of you, it really is that simple no? I could do both feet so had an advantage, in fact the last game I ever played I scored five on my left foot, but I'm right footed. What do these overpaid knobs not get?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I could do both feet so had an advantage, in fact the last game I ever played I scored five on my left foot, but I'm right footed. What do these overpaid knobs not get?

Attachments

• e928626ce410ba3528efe4733bb19aae.jpg
    e928626ce410ba3528efe4733bb19aae.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 93

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
It's instinct. The same way if something is thrown to/at you the majority of people try to catch with their dominant hand (unless they use both hands, but I've never seen a footballer try and volley with both feet at the same time).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Never got your gang you idiot. You were desperate for people to join you. Everything I said about me as a player was 100% and there are people on here that would back me up. You, on the other hand, are a self fulfilling idiot that needs back up. And for your information, football is a sport, played against other teams where the aim is to score more goals. I hope you understand that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The best thing about you're ill informed reply is that I now know there are some people here that really are 'look at me'. I need a gang. you sad little man.

Never got your gang you idiot. You were desperate for people to join you. Everything I said about me as a player was 100% and there are people on here that would back me up. You, on the other hand, are a self fulfilling idiot that needs back up. And for your information, football is a sport, played against other teams where the aim is to score more goals. I hope you understand that.

31266891.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The OP has hit upon one of my little bugbears, Yes, professional footballers SHOULD be adept at using both feet - what the fook else have they got to do all day ? OK one foot is always naturally going to be stronger than the other, but bloody hell, there's nowt wrong with bringing the OTHER one a bit more up to scratch, is there ? Gross's miss at the Emirates was truly painful.

I've always wondered how an ambidextrous tennis player would get on. Imagine a player that could toss his or her racket from right hand to left and SMASH the granny out of it regardless, in any given situation. What a player we would have there to behold. Tossing the racket from one hand to the other to reach that forehand volley going down the tramlines....wow. Ronnie O'Sullivan can do it with a cue. Why can't a tennis player do it with a racket ?

These are sports professionals. They literally have NOTHING else to do all day. There's no excuse for not being able to properly spank it with either limb.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here