Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Massively unfair’ gulf in bus fares between London and rest of England

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as already covered, economies of scale. even with subsidies, the per person subsidy is less the massive population of London means they can afford bigger amounts and cover the infrastructure and fixed costs. rural services simply cannot offer the service/price unless someone pays for it, namely the other local tax payers. tieing in with comments, im sure i read there has been a serious suggestion that Uber like services replace local buses as they are cheaper to pay/subsidise.

that said, im surprised Manchester cant do things cheaper, i expect some deeper issues. looking at the travel card its comparable to London but a single is £4.10.

Last edited:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
London bus fares are cheaper than most other places but that's because it is subsidised slightly which the council can afford to do because of the millions of people that live there and that contribute towards the council tax etc.

The downside to London is that unless you are a millionaire and can afford to live in the.nicest parts, ie Hampstead, Highgate, Chelsea, Kensington, primrose hill etc, most of the other parts are quite rough with high levels of crime and not pleasant places to live. You can count the nice places to live in South and East London with one hand. North and west London is admittedly much.nicer although still has some dangerous areas. We don't have that in Brighton, even East Brighton is not dangerous.

:lolol:

It’s not the ****ing Wild West. There are loads of nice places to live in London, you don’t have a clue.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
[emoji38]ol:

It’s not the ****ing Wild West. There are loads of nice places to live in London, you don’t have a clue.
Chiswick and Richmond are a bit rough apparently.

I've heard it's got so bad in Tory Wandsworth that you can pick up a house in Balham for less than 2 million.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think the point is, deregulation for all buses except London has meant anyone with £60 and a desire to fill out forms can set up a bus company and attempt to make a profit from the routes available.

Whereas regulated London Buses (for all the obvious reasons) gets to make a massive profit and reduce fares.

But not being a transport expert I'm happy to be wrong.

Buses don't make a profit in London.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
London bus fares are cheaper than most other places but that's because it is subsidised slightly which the council can afford to do because of the millions of people that live there and that contribute towards the council tax etc.

Just re-read this and spotted some more nonsense. You think local councils run the buses and they are funded from the council tax ?

You quite obviously

1) No nothing about London
2) TFL

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I pay £14.10 on Stagecoach between Shoreham and Brighton for a weekly mega rider. Much less hassle than driving, 5 mins from my front door and 2 mins from my work place. Busses every ten mins. I think that's alright value.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I pay £14.10 on Stagecoach between Shoreham and Brighton for a weekly mega rider. Much less hassle than driving, 5 mins from my front door and 2 mins from my work place. Busses every ten mins. I think that's alright value.

It would cost a fiver in London and you would get mugged at least twice a week.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Spencer Park SW18, South of the river and a stones throw from the crime ridden streets of Clapham Junction. It's got so rough round there Gordon Ramsey is looking at selling up.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Stockwell, Albert Square. Shocking.

Joanna Lumley still clinging on.

img_0_0_hd.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nightingale Square Balham.

So rough, these houses have been forced to have THEIR OWN PRIVATE PARK.

spotlight_on_balham_15260.jpg

Have I done enough fingers now ? I'm not sure how many you have.....

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Ok there are a few other areas you mentioned that are ok like Barnes and Richmond etc. Greenwich isn't one of them, it's quite rough although it does have a small part that's ok. Clapham is hit and miss, there are some nice parts but also some rough parts. London has got a lot more dangerous the last 15 years, lets be honest . The property market in London has dropped far more than Brighton.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I feel like I've been mugged every time I pay for a saver to get from Portslade to Brighton and back

It would cost a fiver in London and you would get mugged at least twice a week.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Public transport is a societal and environmental need.

An integrated transport system should be run centrally over the entire nation on the same basis as TFL, just scaled up.

Our current system lends itself to numerous fragmented providers, looking after only themselves and trying to make a short term profit.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The property market in London has dropped far more than Brighton.

Don't compare London prices with anywhere else, that's just silly.

Like the little dig at Clapham, I don't live there :)

Oh forgot the Northcote Road area of Clapham Junction / Battersea. What a dump especially which it being within THREE large areas of green open space.

Imagine the squirrel, nightmare.

Face it, you don't really know London very well do you ?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here