Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] MOTD

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In regards to retrospective bans, presumably they will become a thing of the past with the introduction of VAR?

Also i think that the punishment for trying to get a player sent off through deception should be at least the same as if not harsher than the punishment the player would have got if they con had worked and the opposition numbers were reduced. Bamford, for example, only got a 2 game ban for a dive when the player sent off would have got 3 if it wasn't overturned - if they could get a 4 game ban for that sort of deception, would they still try it?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In regards to retrospective bans, presumably they will become a thing of the past with the introduction of VAR?

Also i think that the punishment for trying to get a player sent off through deception should be at least the same as if not harsher than the punishment the player would have got if they con had worked and the opposition numbers were reduced. Bamford, for example, only got a 2 game ban for a dive when the player sent off would have got 3 if it wasn't overturned - if they could get a 4 game ban for that sort of deception, would they still try it?

I don't so much advocate long bans. Except for violent conduct and dangerous play. If the big name players are constantly out of the team suspended then the whole Industry will lose Revenue because TV Channels etc will pay less money to view it

I just want the diving to stop. I want the players who try and affect the game in their teams favour by diving to potentially affect that particular game adversely for their team by them being sent off for diving.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it a bias towards the top 6, or that they know how to con the refs better than lower teams
It's not going to be that the refs are deliberately choosing to cheat in favour of the big 6 clubs. I think there are a few reasons:
1) As you say, they are more adept at cheating. They anticipate contact, leave their trailing leg behind and throw their head back. When they fall it's not at all natural, but they get the decisions.
2) The refs may have in their mind that the big 6 club are better than the opposition, so they're expecting the lower ranked club to try and compete by fouling. They know we're not good enough to win the ball off Salah, so we must have fouled him.
3) The refs know they're going to get more shit in the press if they let down a big 6 club. If they give a dodgy decision against us, no one gives a shit. If they cost one of the big boys points, the papers (lead by the big clubs media teams) are going to be questioning if the ref is up to the job.

Sky sports were talking the other day about the top managers not rowing as much as Fergie and Wenger used to, and they said that when City had been accused of fouling opposition players to stop them countering, City's media team put together a bunch of stats to show that Utd had committed more fouls than them (not on the counter, so ignoring the accusation) and presented them to the media. This helps them get decisions (see point 3).

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm really starting to lose it with refs now.
Not a massive fan of VAR but after this awful season of incompetent and possibly bent refs, but definitely top 6 biased refs, then VAR is now a must.
I mean he was 3 yards away, staring at it with a clear view.

8 (EIGHT) clear (undisputed) penalties (at least 8) which should have been given to us since January (4 (FOUR) months) and were not.

EIGHT!!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Again, you do wonder if the March one was an 'even things up' scenario. Would love to know what Dunk said to him after he'd awarded them the penalty.

That makes my piss boil even more so.
Ok so the ref makes a huge mistake and gives a penalty that is clearly not.
Not very happy about it but that does not mean he can give another one as soon as the opportunity arises, unless it's a clear penalty, like Sollys yesterday.
VAR is the only answer to stop this nonsense going on.
The laws on time wasting, feigning injury to break up play, holding in the penalty area, handball in the penalty area has also got to be sorted out and stamped on strongly by the refs as it is now ridiculous.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I don't so much advocate long bans. Except for violent conduct and dangerous play. If the big name players are constantly out of the team suspended then the whole Industry will lose Revenue because TV Channels etc will pay less money to view it

I just want the diving to stop. I want the players who try and affect the game in their teams favour by diving to potentially affect that particular game adversely for their team by them being sent off for diving.

Surely it would act as a deterrent, if you knew you'd miss a lot of games by cheating, hurting your sides chances why would you risk it and why would managers coach and encourage this diving as some do now?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's not going to be that the refs are deliberately choosing to cheat in favour of the big 6 clubs. I think there are a few reasons:
1) As you say, they are more adept at cheating. They anticipate contact, leave their trailing leg behind and throw their head back. When they fall it's not at all natural, but they get the decisions.
2) The refs may have in their mind that the big 6 club are better than the opposition, so they're expecting the lower ranked club to try and compete by fouling. They know we're not good enough to win the ball off Salah, so we must have fouled him.
3) The refs know they're going to get more shit in the press if they let down a big 6 club. If they give a dodgy decision against us, no one gives a shit. If they cost one of the big boys points, the papers (lead by the big clubs media teams) are going to be questioning if the ref is up to the job.

Sky sports were talking the other day about the top managers not rowing as much as Fergie and Wenger used to, and they said that when City had been accused of fouling opposition players to stop them countering, City's media team put together a bunch of stats to show that Utd had committed more fouls than them (not on the counter, so ignoring the accusation) and presented them to the media. This helps them get decisions (see point 3).

100% that.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Best way to stop the feigning injury to stop a side from countering when a player loses possession is to allow treatment to that 'injured' player on the pitch but whilst the game is still in progress just like they do in rugby.

If they know it wont get stopped or the opposition won't need to kick the ball out for treatment to begin, why would they stay down when its a con and it becomes obvious that the ref wont give a free kick?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Ours wasn't a pen, there's wasn't a pen. Apart from the ref being the usual gash, evens honoured.

Ours wasn't a pen? are you sure? or s it your negativity towards the side coming out once again?
-If March's ankle being caught by the defenders knee after March was past him, causing it to hit his other leg and knock him over isn't a penalty, then surely nothing is ever a penalty

I'd suggest you watch it again, including the bit where they zoom in and show the contact that brought March down

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Ours wasn't a pen, there's wasn't a pen. Apart from the ref being the usual gash, evens honoured.

Ours was a clear pen. Clear at the time from the away end and clear on the TV. Caught his leg sending it into his other leg as he continued running. Arsenal payer didn't complain, knew he'd caught him.

Don't know what game you were watching

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've said it once, I'll say it again, ours wasn't a pen, there's wasn't a pen, honours evened.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
However, over the 90 mins we deserved all three, great performance.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Surely it would act as a deterrent, if you knew you'd miss a lot of games by cheating, hurting your sides chances why would you risk it and why would managers coach and encourage this diving as some do now?

I agree it would be a deterrent but I don't actually like long bans at all. A simple sending off in a match with maybe a one game ban would also be a deterrent. Perhaps 2 game ban for second offenders and so on.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I've said it once, I'll say it again, ours wasn't a pen, there's wasn't a pen, honours evened.

So you've just proved you know very little about the game and so all your other negative views and rants about the Albion and our players can now be treated with the same amount of disbelief and derision as your claim that the March penalty wasn't one - you're clueless

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ours was a clear pen. Clear at the time from the away end and clear on the TV. Caught his leg sending it into his other leg as he continued running. Arsenal payer didn't complain, knew he'd caught him.

Don't know what game you were watching

Of course ours was a clear penalty. Even a minor touch would knock a player over when running at the speed March was at when he was caught.

Contrast that with Monreal who wasn't even caught at all . And even if he was. At an almost stationery pace. It takes a lot to knock anyone to the ground when they have a steady footing beneath them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here