NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't believe people still think VAR is a bad idea, or are so small minded they are convinced refs will check only the big club decision. Might as well write to the PL, offering ten of our points to be deducted for next season right now to save the bother of having to have them cheated off us by biased officials later during the season.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I presume you mean on the radio? Simon Brotherton, the MotD commentator, is an Aston Villa fan who lives in Horsham.

Feck me, it was light hearted, he was certainly watching a different game to Jenas and Wright as apparently Arsenal were “all over Brighton”, which they were for about a 15 minute spell.
You actually Googled him didn’t you. It used to be a bit of fun on here. When did this forum get invaded by such sad arses?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Feck me, it was light hearted, he was certainly watching a different game to Jenas and Wright as apparently Arsenal were “all over Brighton”, which they were for about a 15 minute spell.
You actually Googled him didn’t you. It used to be a bit of fun on here. When did this forum get invaded by such sad arses?

I doubt he needed to google him - being a sports reporter himself they are probably mates.

el punal

Their penalty looked soft as shite from the other side of the ground opposite the away end to the peasants, where we were sat and was duly confirmed when I saw it on MOTD2. What the FRIG are these refs playing at ? Anthony Taylor took a long hard look at it before pointing to the spot. Big pause. That suggests doubt. And you're only supposed to award a pen if you are positive of it - typical 'big club' decision.

Aside from that, it was a truly excellent away performance. Freed from the shackles of "WE MUST NOT LOSE" we put in a bloody good shift, flooded forward at the right times, fully deserved the point and on another day might have even sneaked something better.

Attacking, eh ? Bloody hell Chris. Sometimes it might...just...work.

To be fair to Chris he knows it works. Our last two seasons in the Championship proved that as were fourth and top equal highest scorers in the league. Yes, of course he’s cautious and for very good reasons - to survive. Now that we have survived I would like to think (hope), like you, that we will adopt a more expansive and positive approach to games next season.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Again, you do wonder if the March one was an 'even things up' scenario. Would love to know what Dunk said to him after he'd awarded them the penalty.

Why would it be an 'even things up' scenario? It was 100% a clear cut penalty. As was correctly analysed and shown in detail on MOTD.

The one March was awarded, or the one not given against March towards the end that could have been?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How would one not being given for us even things up for one wrongly given against us?

Your post implied you considered Palacefinder General was suggesting that giving us a penalty was 'evening things up'. As you say, it was a clear penalty so it wasn't evening things - so I was suggesting that maybe what he meant was that the 'evening it up bit' was not awarding a penalty against March late on when he could have done?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Your post implied you considered Palacefinder General was suggesting that giving us a penalty was 'evening things up'. As you say, it was a clear penalty so it wasn't evening things - so I was suggesting that maybe what he meant was that the 'evening it up bit' was not awarding a penalty against March late on when he could have done?
No, the question is still 'How would one not being given for us even things up for one wrongly given against us?' To even things up the ref would have had to give us a penalty that wasn't, and he didn't.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
No, the question is still 'How would one not being given for us even things up for one wrongly given against us?' To even things up the ref would have had to give us a penalty that wasn't, and he didn't.

? - it's nothing to with one being given / not being given for us, it's about what was/wasn't given for Arsenal.

1) Ref gives Arsenal a penalty which wasn't;
2) Ref doesn't give Arsenal a penalty late on, which looked more of a penalty than the one he did give them.

So - given them a penalty that wasn't + not giving them a penalty that possibly was = evens itself out decision wise.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
? - it's nothing to with one being given / not being given for us, it's about what was/wasn't given for Arsenal.

1) Ref gives Arsenal a penalty which wasn't;
2) Ref doesn't give Arsenal a penalty late on, which looked more of a penalty than the one he did give them.

So - given them a penalty that wasn't + not giving them a penalty that possibly was = evens itself out decision wise.
Ah ..... missed the word "against" March ...... :facepalm:
As you were.................!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You actually Googled him didn’t you.

I doubt it, seeing as most people in the media know each other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One thing MOTD did show, was March's penalty wasn't for a touch on the shoulder. The replays show Xhaka caught Solly's knee.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bissouma should be praised for staying up in the Arsenal Penalty area.
Also Arsenal had 5 players booked to Brighton 2 loved it when Brighton fans you dirty northern Bxxxxxx

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm really starting to lose it with refs now.
Not a massive fan of VAR but after this awful season of incompetent and possibly bent refs, but definitely top 6 biased refs, then VAR is now a must.
I mean he was 3 yards away, staring at it with a clear view.

Is it a bias towards the top 6, or that they know how to con the refs better than lower teams, after all, it appears that refs officiate on reaction rather than the incident which they are likely to miss. If a player goes down or stays down injured, they are more inclined to think its because they were fouled, whereas we tend to stay on our feet more and try to keep going (Bissouma vs Palace when he could have won a penalty after being clipped in the box from behind, AJ not hitting the deck after Walkers headbutt, but Dufy sent off for a very similar incident because the Palace player hit the deck (the card's determined by force used, not the act itself so staying on your feet makes the ref think little force was used, fall over and they assume a lot of force is used)

The other snide tactic they use a lot is that when they lose possession, they hit the floor and stay down, so the team winning possession then are in that situation of do they put it out so that player can receive treatment or do they carry on. They will look bad if its a genuine injury but all too often its a spoiling tactic designed to slow the opposition attack and allow the now defending team to regain their positions and get numbers behind the ball again once its kicked out.

Under this season's rules, can't he get a ban for deceiving the ref?

We've seem it time and time again where they wont enforce this rule in the way that a lot of fans that want to see honest football would like. Players feigning injury, players falling over due to the slightest of touches (with pundits saying they are entitled to go down because of that slight touch) etc..

Would they look at incidents leading up to a goal that was caused by deception? like the free kick that Liverpool won just before they got their winner against Newcastle (scoring directly as a result of that dive's free kick) or would they only look at incidents like diving to win a penalty or to get another player sent off

The whole thing seems like its more trial by media (/social media) rather than reviewing every game and every incident trying to spot cheating and punish offenders. They will only take action if there is a story that makes the PL / FA notice it (why Bamford and others get banned for dives when others go completely unpunished like the dive to win a free kick that led to Liverpool's winner against Newcastle - can you imagine the media if that was the other way round and Newcastle denied them the win by diving to get a free kick that they scored from to scupper their title chances)

However i will agree that there is also a bit of the top 6 are the main selling point of the PL abroad, and people tune in to watch these teams and their star players more than they would for someone like Burnely or Bournemouth so they are less willing to punish the players of those sides because they fear it could spoil the spectacle, somehow damaging the league and its selling points and also possibly influence things like the title race, again damaging the selling points for the league abroad (too much money at stake) otherwise players like Salah would get retrospectively done for diving and not just someone like Niasse when he was at Everton despite contact made in the penalty awarded as a result of his incident when there have been more out there that have been left unpunished when there had been even less to warrant the penalty that was awarded)

It will be replaced with top 6 biased VAR. Look at the head but in our semi final.

It's knowing how to play the system and the rules. How would an official be able to tell how powerful a, say, headbutt was to determine if its a red or yellow card offense? (which card is determined by force used apparently) Stay on your feet and they deem it minimal force so more likely to only yellow a player, go down but to a softer headbutt and it will be deemed a red as viewed as more force used.

The top 6 and some teams like Leicester are very good at exploiting these rule interpretations to their advantage.

You can guarantee that, if there was minimal contact, and a player went down (when fans who want honest football see it as a dive) it will be deemed a foul because of that contact and it will be only the times there is no contact that it will then be adjudged a dive

I'd like to see where a player is already falling over before contact and when a player initiates the contact themselves before going over always ruled a dive using VAR but i very much doubt it will happen

Could be the amount of cheating that's not helping, if players didn't cheat we don't need refs?

They are exploiting the poor rules we have in place at the moment that were designed to stop the more skillful players from being kicked out of the game but instead are being used to get any advantage a team can using exaggeration and diving in order to try to get any edge they can in a sport where there is so much money at stake.

The result of these 'protective' rules is that it's virtually impossible to tackle now without a player hitting the ground and claiming they were fouled in the process and the refs usually buy it

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Could be the amount of cheating that's not helping, if players didn't cheat we don't need refs?
I have said it on other threads. Simulation or diving in the area to win a penalty has to be a straight red card. No warnings for it. Not a yellow. It has to be a straight red. That will soon put an end to it when VAR is used to assess it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here