Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We run the Gooners so close who said the players aren't good enough?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, real life albeit not the top level.

But it's about managing what you have to get the best results isn't it Teddy???

I just feel we missed far too many opportunities and invite so much pressure into a crowded penalty box, I would have hated this as a player and yes I was predominantly a defender.

I too also coached and played at a relatively good level. I am a Hughton supporter (so have kicked a ball)

We simply cannot take the game to any teams that have pace, see Bournemouth at home. Propper loses the ball upfield, the shape is compromised, Bournemouth literally walk through us. Southampton Bissouma lost it cheaply, Burnley on the penalty quick break.......

Consequently, all we can currently do is set up rigidly, in a 'bend but don't break' style of system. I think if we had a forward more mobile than Murray perhaps we could change, but we don't, Andone lacks height and cannot hold the ball, and Gross just doesn't look fit to me, so we don't have numbers near Murray. It really is like a forward vs defence exercise.

I would also throw in all the positive comments regarding Bissouma have come particularly in his last two appearances, that is because he has combined flair with discipline, and that can only be because of good coaching from the management team.

But, again all IMO, Ryan does need to push us up about 10 yards further, and whilst high press is the way forward, you cannot do it without having athletes in your team (and we don't).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Arsenal are ALWAYS flakey when it counts. There's no will to win there. Hasn't been for years. Their players are stealing a PL living. Man City are the real deal. We'll do amazingly well to peg them back next Sunday. Or possibly this Sunday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, a much better performance, and yes, our players can play a bit; they're decent players. But we still need to replace some of them with better players in the summer in order to progress, or even stand still.

D

Deleted member 2719

DEFENDER mate yes.........good? Erm yes.........but not at Premier league level. Crickey you were only at a level even I couldn't succeed at! :bowdown:
You even sounding like CH, levels, levels levels!!

I too also coached and played at a relatively good level. I am a Hughton supporter (so have kicked a ball)

We simply cannot take the game to any teams that have pace, see Bournemouth at home. Propper loses the ball upfield, the shape is compromised, Bournemouth literally walk through us. Southampton Bissouma lost it cheaply, Burnley on the penalty quick break.......

Consequently, all we can currently do is set up rigidly, in a 'bend but don't break' style of system. I think if we had a forward more mobile than Murray perhaps we could change, but we don't, Andone lacks height and cannot hold the ball, and Gross just doesn't look fit to me, so we don't have numbers near Murray. It really is like a forward vs defence exercise.

I would also throw in all the positive comments regarding Bissouma have come particularly in his last two appearances, that is because he has combined flair with discipline, and that can only be because of good coaching from the management team.

But, again all IMO, Ryan does need to push us up about 10 yards further, and whilst high press is the way forward, you cannot do it without having athletes in your team (and we don't).

Yes I agree with nearly all you say, but this is his team predominantly, so this is the way he chooses to play, slow methodical in the middle of the park and at centre forward.
If we get stretched yes it makes DS and DP look like they have boots in concrete.
Bissouma has to learn somewhen and IMO is a proper talent and should be in there with Andone, March and Knocky.
I have never criticised the coaching team just the head honcho, who like 10 behind the ball.
I have said it many times before its predictable boring and it relies on D and D and Ryan blocking everything, it's so open to the odd error.
I rate the vast majority of our squad, yes there is always a better player out there but these boys could be shown how to attack and not just defend!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You even sounding like CH, levels, levels levels!!

Yes I agree with nearly all you say, but this is his team predominantly, so this is the way he chooses to play, slow methodical in the middle of the park and at centre forward.
If we get stretched yes it makes DS and DP look like they have boots in concrete.
Bissouma has to learn somewhen and IMO is a proper talent and should be in there with Andone, March and Knocky.
I have never criticised the coaching team just the head honcho, who like 10 behind the ball.
I have said it many times before its predictable boring and it relies on D and D and Ryan blocking everything, it's so open to the odd error.
I rate the vast majority of our squad, yes there is always a better player out there but these boys could be shown how to attack and not just defend!!

But isn’t that the job of the entire coaching staff, not just an ex left back, who happens to be the manager.

Trollope for example, does he challenge Chris or is he a ‘yes’ man? (I mean he wasn’t a success at Cardiff) [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] would obviously know more from a personality perspective.

Managers have to be challenged, and behind every good one is a good Assistant.

Generally teams are built from a solid defence (and we have that).

As for his team, well he’s part of the recruitment team, but what is he being presented with as options for signings? Is it a list of options, or is it this is all we can afford (I.e. ordinary Dutch players with good stats)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Watching at the game yesterday (made it last minute) restored my faith in Chris and that we do have players that can compete at this level. Solly, Biss, Bernardo and Knocky were great.

D

Deleted member 2719

But isn’t that the job of the entire coaching staff, not just an ex left back, who happens to be the manager.

Trollope for example, does he challenge Chris or is he a ‘yes’ man? (I mean he wasn’t a success at Cardiff) [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] would obviously know more from a personality perspective.

Managers have to be challenged, and behind every good one is a good Assistant.

Generally teams are built from a solid defence (and we have that).

As for his team, well he’s part of the recruitment team, but what is he being presented with as options for signings? Is it a list of options, or is it this is all we can afford (I.e. ordinary Dutch players with good stats)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think PT does challenge CH enough, look at Jones hardly a yes man and he was soon demoted to get ultra defensive Calderwood by his side again.
I bet CH and CC didn't use NJ opinions much, if at all.
IMO he isn't open to change, thats just the way he is.

He must have told the recruitment team what he wants In his team, ie pace, playmaker, hold It up type CF, it really is down to him to extract it from the player in several systems.

There can be no excuses and i have not once heard him say, i need to improve MY levels.
Take it on the chin Chris, Doesn't make you weaker.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There can be no excuses and i have not once heard him say, i need to improve MY levels.
But you also haven't heard him say Propper needs to improve his levels. Or Stephens. Or anyone else. He says 'we need to', so he's including the whole team, coaching staff, himself.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
My view of Hughton is summed up by Solly March. During the season it looked like he was told to curb his instincs to get forward and defend at all costs. With no pressure on against Arsenal it looked as if it was go and enjoy yourself. How many other players have been held back by the tactics of the manager's defensive attitude. He does not think the players are good enough. perhaps some of them are but just not allowed to play their own game. Yes, defend against the top six, but we are good enough to compete against the rest. You could see the difference in Bissouma and March being given the licence to get forward and enjoying themselves. Even Bruno was getting over the halfway line and the whole team were 10 yards further up the pitch taking more pressure off the defence. Yes Ryan had to make a few saves but he could see the ball coming not crowded out by 10 players in front of him.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We run the Gooners so close who said the players aren't good enough?

Silly me, I was under the impression the season comprised of 38 matches? :shrug:

Capture.PNG

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think PT does challenge CH enough, look at Jones hardly a yes man and he was soon demoted to get ultra defensive Calderwood by his side again.
I bet CH and CC didn't use NJ opinions much, if at all.
IMO he isn't open to change, thats just the way he is.

He must have told the recruitment team what he wants In his team, ie pace, playmaker, hold It up type CF, it really is down to him to extract it from the player in several systems.

But then we attacked in the championship, so on that basis surely it is on the basis of the personnel at his disposal, and in fact he has had to tailor the team to what he has at his disposal.

I'm sure we aren't going to agree - but I very much remain a Hughton man and am pleased we have him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here