Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Silly Off Season Rumour Thread

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
"Brighton want Juan Mata"

No shit. I hope we also want Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo, Dybala, van Dijk, Aguero, de Bruyne, Salah, Mane...

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Would involve the total decimation of our wage structure. So no, not happening.

He's reported to be on 170K a week currently at United, but no matter what happens he will have to take a large pay cut. United won't offer a squad player that sort of salary, and the average wage in La Liga is 36K Euro's. Valencia who he is being linked with have a cap of 75-80k a week. If there are "highest earner" clauses in some of our current players contracts, then one way round would be to heavy load the signing on fee, but I would also expect this to be higher than normal due to no transfer fee being involved (equally the chances of us getting any money back from any resale is nil which also needs to be factored in to any decision the club makes).

Having a couple of players at a higher wage is financially do-able for a club of our size, but Bloom, Barber and co are at the point where they need to sit down and talk over about where we want to be as a club, and the long term strategy.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
He's reported to be on 170K a week currently at United, but no matter what happens he will have to take a large pay cut. United won't offer a squad player that sort of salary, and the average wage in La Liga is 36K Euro's. Valencia who he is being linked with have a cap of 75-80k a week. If there are "highest earner" clauses in some of our current players contracts, then one way round would be to heavy load the signing on fee, but I would also expect this to be higher than normal due to no transfer fee being involved (equally the chances of us getting any money back from any resale is nil which also needs to be factored in to any decision the club makes).

Having a couple of players at a higher wage is financially do-able for a club of our size, but Bloom, Barber and co are at the point where they need to sit down and talk over about where we want to be as a club, and the long term strategy.

Have thought that perhaps a signing on fee would be how we get this done. One thing I just can't get around is the fact that this simply isn't our style. We don't do things like this. But then again I guess desperate times call for desperate measures, so maybe we will break the mould here. I just hope we don't become another palace, paying massive fees and wages for players who are on the fringes of big clubs. Not saying that's what Mata is, and he'd be a brilliant signing, but paying huge wages like that is a slippery slope. If we can, as you say, keep it down to one or two players, then all's well and good. Would also give us a massive advantage over the other relegation candidates if we could get as player of Mata's calibre on board though.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Starting early before its even off season ....

"Brighton 'offer Juan Mata two-year contract' as Manchester United star nears return to homeland"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-United-star-Juan-Mata-two-year-contract.html

"Man Utd transfer news: Brighton want Juan Mata if he leaves Old Trafford on a free"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-juan-mata-14996978

I'm feeling very positron about this rumour but after a few games playing the CH way I think we'll see anti-Mata.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Well that's the 1st rumour there will be plenty more. Let's hope Ashworth has plenty of irons in the respective fires

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here