Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any 'old school' builders out there?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Okay... this is a bit weird, but bear with me.

My 18 year old Son went to stay with his Grandparents, in the house his Great Grandparents lived in from the 1940's to the 1960's (my Grandad died young) and then the 80's when my Nan moved into a nursing home. It was the house I also grew up in.

He never met them as they both died long before he was born.

He woke up after his first night there and called me. "Dad, I had the most vivid and strange dream last night. It was like I was awake. I never have dreams like that. Did your Nana, have dark auburn hair - curly?"

The answer was yes, but I've never seen a photo of her when she was young. I only ever knew her with greying (then white) hair, but I remember her Sister telling me once when I was a small child what lovely Auburn hair she had when she was younger, and so curly.

"Well, she was painting the room I was sleeping in a light Purple colour, with a big brush?"

Her name was Violet. That used to be her bedroom.

Then, he says "Was your Grandad pretty bald?"

He was, from the age of about 19 he lost his hair pretty quickly.

"Well" he said, "It was really weird because the man was in overalls drawing these little things, like a line with a broken three pointed arrow below it pointing upwards - at intervals along the wall, in chalk. I have no idea what they were - I've never seen them before... So weird."

He was a Master Builder. My Son never knew that.

So... I parked outside the shops next to a park wall in Eastbourne last night, and saw this. I texted my Son a picture - and his reply was "OMG - yes, that's it !!"

My question is, what do these marks mean??

Obviously I expect heaps of sarcasm, cynicism, ridicule and so on (this is NSC after all :lolol:), but if someone knows what these are I'd be interested to know.

wall.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Those marks were put on by stonemasons to mark a ‘Brothel’

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Benchmark sign chiselled into stone contained in the wall of an old building. This sign was used as the primary reference point for surveying the elevation of nearby points. Benchmarking has now become a term to describe the comparison of business processes and performance against the best in the field.

Okay... this is a bit weird, but bear with me.

My 18 year old Son went to stay with his Grandparents, in the house his Great Grandparents lived in from the 1940's to the 1960's (my Grandad died young) and then the 80's when my Nan moved into a nursing home. It was the house I also grew up in.

He never met them as they both died long before he was born.

He woke up after his first night there and called me. "Dad, I had the most vivid and strange dream last night. It was like I was awake. I never have dreams like that. Did your Nana, have dark auburn hair - curly?"

The answer was yes, but I've never seen a photo of her when she was young. I only ever knew her with greying (then white) hair, but I remember her Sister telling me once when I was a small child what lovely Auburn hair she had when she was younger, and so curly.

"Well, she was painting the room I was sleeping in a light Purple colour, with a big brush?"

Her name was Violet. That used to be her bedroom.

Then, he says "Was your Grandad pretty bald?"

He was, from the age of about 19 he lost his hair pretty quickly.

"Well" he said, "It was really weird because the man was in overalls drawing these little things, like a line with a broken three pointed arrow below it pointing upwards - at intervals along the wall, in chalk. I have no idea what they were - I've never seen them before... So weird."

He was a Master Builder. My Son never knew that.

So... I parked outside the shops next to a park wall in Eastbourne last night, and saw this. I texted my Son a picture - and his reply was "OMG - yes, that's it !!"

My question is, what do these marks mean??

Obviously I expect heaps of sarcasm, cynicism, ridicule and so on (this is NSC after all :lolol:), but if someone knows what these are I'd be interested to know.

View attachment 108861

I found it equal parts creepy and fascinating - "...There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy..."

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I beleive they are also called Trig Points. There are many around the Downs, the nearest to me being on Hollinbury Fort. The horizonal line is a known altitude above sea level. Surveyors used theodolites to take measurements to make maps.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Ordinance Survey Benchmarks

Before the days of GPS and satellite earth measuring technologies map makers, surveyors and architects measured altitudes above sea level and took measures of verticality using triangular marks with a single horizontal line – known as benchmarks. In the Victorian era over 35’000 ordinance survey benchmarks were carved through out the UK and their locations are recorded in the OS database. Benchmarks were never carved kerbstones which could be moved at anytime due to flooding or road changes, but into static vertical structures like walls, bridges and buildings.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Old school builders can I clarify are you after only individuals who have had experience of building educational establishments or will any builder do?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Why not ? I have worked with stonemason When they have been laying bricks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here