Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] MR scan following CT scan

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A relative had a CT scan this week and has now been referred for an MR scan as well.

Is this routine, or does it mean they might have found something not right?

We haven't seen any results from the CT scan, so do I need to panic now or wait till later?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I wouldn't worry. Sounds like the combination of both is required as they present different images.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
CT scans are a blurry mess. You can see the difference if you look at Google images of CT scans then look at an MRI.

MRI is used to see the area in more definition. My daughter's work involves MRI, so she is biased, but she's very dismissive of CT scans but they are used first as they are cheaper, then if it's inconclusive they use MRI.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I had the same experience I was told that MRI shows soft tissue much better, but it was nothing sinister in my case, I had a minor operation and two nights in hospital.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I had both after an injury. The staff at the hospital [who were and are wonderful] like to be thorough as part of standard procedure I think.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Certainly in my adventure both scans were called for as routine. Nothing to increase your anxiety, just doing their job.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Zef is having an MRI, had to have a pre-xray to check if he had swarf in his eye baubles, given his metal engineering based day job...thinking of the possibilities has given me the right willies! Agree with the above, Zef's xray was relatively inconclusive so MRI required, sounds like the CT is the same...Worry is a wasted emotion I was told, but tell that to anyone without a clear diagnosis as yet!!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I work at goring hall hospital and go out socially with the imaging team.
CT & MRI scans are totally different and different imagery.
If you want to know something specific, I can always ask for you

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Thanks peeps. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Thanks peeps. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Over the last year I have had numerous CT and MRI scans. These were due to head then brain cancer. I was told that the MRI scans were far more detailed. They are bloody noisy though! You are fitted with head phones to blank the noise out. Mine took around half an hour each time.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Over the last year I have had numerous CT and MRI scans. These were due to head then brain cancer. I was told that the MRI scans were far more detailed. They are bloody noisy though! You are fitted with head phones to blank the noise out. Mine took around half an hour each time.

all the best mate

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Crikey Simmo, thats a harsh hand you've been dealt! Not sure what to say!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
J

All the best Simmo. Will not go into my “problems” but agree MRI is bloody noisy and claustrophobic

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here