Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Music Your Parents Listened To That's Actually Good

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
On the 1979 albums thread, a few posters mention being introduced to albums because their parents played them.

Other than making me feel old, as I brought the albums in 1979, it made me think. I was under the impression that we were supposed to not like music that our parents enjoyed, but has this now changed with rock music being around 60 years old now.

So which music did you enjoy and maybe still listen to that you were introduced to by your parents.

I can't be of much assistance, as my father enjoyed opera and ballet music, so over to you

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have all my dad's collection, most of it classical from the romantic period - Tchaikovsky and such like - not really my thing. He did like Victoria's Requiem though, a piece I listen to a lot.

The records that I do like are his old music hall records, there are some classic songs on them. And he had extensive collection of Max Miller which are essential listening - there'll never be another

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hated virtually everything my parents liked. Those of a similar age to me might recall (and sorry this is a bit vague) a Sunday (morning ?) radio programme with Jimmy Saville offering points for naming artists and tracks of almost exclusively 60s stuff. They LOVED it. It was all Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash and suchlike.

Did my fvcking head in, to the point I would make sure I was out of the house on Sunday mornings as they danced around the kitchen preparing Sunday lunch singing along and shouting at the straggly-haired weirdo on the radio. On the plus side, got me seriously into fishing, and I loved leftover roast meat sarnies for tea on Sundays [emoji106][emoji23][emoji23]

Edit - from Wiki

On Radio 1 he presented the Sunday lunchtime show Jimmy Savile's Old Record Club, playing chart Top 10s from years gone by. It was the first show to feature old charts and Savile used a "points system" in an imaginary quiz with the audience to guess the names of the song and artist

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My mum and dad were massive ABBA fans, so our house was always filled with their songs. I was lucky enough to have a great childhood with a solid family upbringing, so those songs hold nothing but good memories for me. So as 'untrendy' as it is, I still bloody love ABBA.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I grew up in Dubai, where my parents amassed a huge collection of bootleg cassette tapes.

Lots of:
Neil Diamond
Santana
ABBA
Boney M
Jean Michel Jarre
Etc

But amongst that, also lots of Neil Young, Dylan, Pink Floyd and Queen

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My Mum loved Val Doonican. From a young age I used to listen to him and still play him on Spotify now.

Don't really care if it's trendy or not. Brings back happy memories.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I thought my dads music collection was sh1t until I reached 13, who knew that led zep, pink Floyd, deep purple etc were any good?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Readers Digest box set that I now have since the folks got rid of their record player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4

They had a compilation by 'Poor old':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDF4Tcf0Uh8

Both big fans of Ella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCMWaiG-gI

On 2 June 1963 my mum and her best mate (still her best mate) went to the Hippodrome in Brighton to see some overrated scousers. Whenever music was discussed during my childhood, she would bring it up. I only became jealous years later. She hadn't mentioned that they were only the support act. I would have loved to see the headliner. She had never mentioned him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ-F80NYwn0

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The vast majority of my parents music was brilliant and still is.
By the time I was 16 (1991) my dad (an oldies DJ for hire) had acquired every single song that made the top 75 in the 60s. Throw in the extra few thousands of 50s, 70s and 80s tracks that he also had, and quite frankly I was spoilt for choice. I grew up to music constantly being played all day and every day- and when he passes away one day in the future, his passion for music is the main thing I will thank him for.
He’s why I happened to be listening to Eddie Cochran on the way to work today. What’s not to like?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I hated virtually everything my parents liked. Those of a similar age to me might recall (and sorry this is a bit vague) a Sunday (morning ?) radio programme with Jimmy Saville offering points for naming artists and tracks of almost exclusively 60s stuff. They LOVED it. It was all Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash and suchlike.

Did my fvcking head in, to the point I would make sure I was out of the house on Sunday mornings as they danced around the kitchen preparing Sunday lunch singing along and shouting at the straggly-haired weirdo on the radio. On the plus side, got me seriously into fishing, and I loved leftover roast meat sarnies for tea on Sundays [emoji106][emoji23][emoji23]

I do wonder if my kids will post something similar in a decade or so regarding my habit of coming in from a long run on a Sunday morning and listening to Cerys Matthews on 6 Music whilst having a bacon butty and a cup of coffee and generally hobbling like a berk whilst trying to hum along to some obscure jazz or world music.

"The only thing worse than the terrible music was the stench of sweat and bacon......."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do wonder if my kids will post something similar in a decade or so regarding my habit of coming in from a long run on a Sunday morning and listening to Cerys Matthews on 6 Music whilst having a bacon butty and a cup of coffee and generally hobbling like a berk whilst trying to hum along to some obscure jazz or world music.

"The only thing worse than the terrible music was the stench of sweat and bacon......."

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My parents listened to the Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks, The Who etc.

What was not to like?

I do remember asking to listen to American Pie all the time when I was very little but slowly made my way through the rest of it.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Superb thread.

Sunday lunches after some morning of sport. Arrive home for lunch to the smell of a long serving meat and roast potatoes filling the house. The old fella in a form fitting often mustardy colored V neck, placing the "untouchable holy grail" of the semi automatic needle arm thingy, not yet weighted down with a 2p and sellotape, inside the Sony suitcase stereo with the huge plastic rectangular lid that lifted upwards, with speakers with a velcro cover that were as much as, if not more out of bounds than the turntable arm thingy.

Such sounds as the following will still get attention as and when they appear:

The Carpenters.
Bony M.
Don Williams.
Abba.
Bee Gees.
The "Tie a Yellow Ribbon around the Old Oak Tree" song.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Beatles
Simon & Garfunkel
Bob Marley
Carole King

They have pretty decent taste by and large.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here