Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Music Your Parents Listened To That's Actually Good

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You will be delighted to learn that I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread.

Dad liked George Formby and Al Jolsen
Mum liked Max Bygraves and Val Doonican

Mind you, the milkman was into Screemin Jay Hawkins, The Tornados, The Troggs, The Four Tops, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown,and in later life he became a fan of Soft Machine, Van der Graaf Generator, Hatfield and the North, Bowie, Roxy Music, Beefhart and Zappa.

Edit: My son is a musician, and I like to think I contributed to his musical education. Trouble was, in the late 90s, when I drove us to watch the Albion at home and a great deal away when he was age 12 to 15, I was into European trance (Ferry Corsten, Paul Van Dyk, etc etc stylee) and I had that blasting out of the car 24/7. We have been to a few gigs together, Flaming Lips (albeit he introduced them to me) and the Comsat Angels (reunion in Sheffield - obvs I introduced him to them) but we don't really see musical eye to eye. He has bought me CDs (Interpol - very good; Tranquility Base, not bad) but his own taste began with the likes of Radiohead (brilliant - his mum's influence) Pete Doherty (er...) and Ash (sorry, no), and is now rather singer songwritery, very musicianshippy, and a bit....staid. Meanwhile my own penchant for 80s jangly guitar (from The Smiths to Burning Skies of Elysium), Darkwave (VNV, VAC etc), and anything with a big synth and big gay vocal (Mesh, De/Vision, Angels and Agony, and my new discoveries Solitary Experiments etc,) are all 'dad shite' as far as he's concerned. :lolol:

I take it you're not going to revive 'The Old Grey (haired dad) Whistle Test programme:whistle:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Thanks to my parents, I grew up listening to the cut glass voices of Judith Durham and Karen Carpenter.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My mum liked (likes) anything she could whistle to.

With my dad it was Glen Miller all the way - for which I am very grateful - 21 years ago we cremated dad to the tune of Moonlight Serenade. My youngest daughter still has his Readers Digest GM boxed set. I make do with having Moonlight Serenade on 7" vinyl on my Juke Box.

My "dad legacy" to my girls is just about any 50/60/70's Tamla, Stax and Atlantic - I realised several years ago that they can sing along to just about any track from that genre.
They both walked down the aisle to Atlantic Soul songs.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the old man liked a bit of Dean Martin on a sunday morning

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Considering dads record collection was 99% James Last, there was very little that my parents listened to that I like.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My Dad is a jazz man. Dave Brubeck, Ron Carter et al. The Ron Carter Quartet album entitled Piccolo is one of my all time favourites. Saguaro and Tambien being the two tracks I can never decide which one I really really really like more..Very very good in my opinion.

My mother on the other hand is a Carly Simon fan. You're so Vain - was sung at top volume by me and my three sisters and Mum, whilst baking in the kitchen...(when my Dad was out obviously)..Again IMHO, should be part of any musical collection worth its salt..

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My folks had almost no interest in music at all, owning just a handful of records that sat in a rack in our front room virtually unplayed for our entire childhood.

When I was about 14, I remember buying the vinyl of Power, Corruption and Lies by New Order, and putting it at the front of the rack.

My mum was ok with that, because it had a ‘nice picture’ and ‘brightened up the room’. Sure made a change from looking at some jazz record from 20 years ago, that probably hadn’t been played for the last 19 of that!

https://images.app.goo.gl/beTPEBCHmtEVaJTu6

The only other musical memory I have of them was a story about my Mum once hearing “Killing Me Softly” by Roberta Flack on the radio, when we lived in relatively-rural Canada in the early 70s.

A few days later my Dad drove for hours to Victoria on Vancouver Island to buy it for her, as a surprise. One of the few times they did anything romantic, never mind musical!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
S
My Dad is a jazz man. Dave Brubeck, Ron Carter et al. The Ron Carter Quartet album entitled Piccolo is one of my all time favourites. Saguaro and Tambien being the two tracks I can never decide which one I really really really like more..Very very good in my opinion.

My mother on the other hand is a Carly Simon fan. You're so Vain - was sung at top volume by me and my three sisters and Mum, whilst baking in the kitchen...(when my Dad was out obviously)..Again IMHO, should be part of any musical collection worth its salt..

Agreed, No Secrets still stands up well today

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A Swingin' Safari
Sky
Jesus Christ Superstar
Nat King Cole
The Seekers

They all feature on my Spotify playlists for the warm memories as much as anything else.

Here we go with some foot tapping fun....

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In the previous Seekers video have a look at the size of the crowd from above at 1 min 18 sec! It would give Knebworth or Woodstock a run for it's money.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No my mum liked Cliff Richard and Matt Monroe and any type of crooner type music, hated it all. The only relief was a Mamas and Papas Album.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
As some know I was one of the founding members of King Tafari Love sound system. All the kids from our crew went off in different music directions. Dubstep and DnB etc Think you tend to rebel slightly to your parents choices. You don't hate their music but :lol: Some of the younger members of the sound also, MC Darrison being a good example who has built his name in DnB. My parents liked people like Sinatra and Matt Monroe which I found dreadful but then came Motown in my very early teens and I had a way out haha

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I forgot to mention. My favorite song ever is Sympathy For The Devil...perfection and which was from my father’s collection.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Mum was into singers such as Ella, Sarah and Billie. Remember her telling me about seeing Ella with the Oscar Peterson Trio. She was also into the Stones and took me as a two year old to see them at Hyde Park - of which I have no recollection. Apparently I spent more time wanting to feed the ducks in the Serpentine.
Dad was into bebop- Parker, Monk, Miles, Sonny Rollins etc . He saw Jazz at the Phil with Miles and was into the London scene such as Tubby Hayes and Joe Harriott, who he saw live many times, and late nights at Ronnies and the clubs in West London.
Hated his jazz in my teens and then saw the light in my 20’s. Had great times with him seeing jazz concerts with him in his later years.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
The only Sinatra album they had/have and still my favourite, I now have it on CD, great cover too:

Frank%u00252BSinatra%u00252B-%u00252BCome%u00252BFly%u00252Bwith%u00252BMe.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mum was into singers such as Ella, Sarah and Billie. Remember her telling me about seeing Ella with the Oscar Peterson Trio. She was also into the Stones and took me as a two year old to see them at Hyde Park - of which I have no recollection. Apparently I spent more time wanting to feed the ducks in the Serpentine.
Dad was into bebop- Parker, Monk, Miles, Sonny Rollins etc . He saw Jazz at the Phil with Miles and was into the London scene such as Tubby Hayes and Joe Harriott, who he saw live many times, and late nights at Ronnies and the clubs in West London.
Hated his jazz in my teens and then saw the light in my 20’s. Had great times with him seeing jazz concerts with him in his later years.

Well, they say if you can remember the 60s you really weren’t there.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here