Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] What would happen if I started another Fridat Night Drinking Thread?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
What would happen if I started another Fridat Night Drinking Thread?

How many threads is too many?

This is a sample chapter from my ebook Working With Ruby Threads. If you're curious about all the talk in the community about multi-threaded concurrency, this book will give you a gentle introduction so you can join the conversation.

This question is relevant whether you're whipping up a quick script to scrape some websites, trying to speed up a long-running calculation, or tuning your multi-threaded webserver.

I hope you're not surprised, but the answer is: well, that depends.

The only way to be sure is to measure and compare. Try it out with 1 thread per CPU core, try it out with 5 threads per CPU core, compare the results, move forward.

However, there are some heuristics you can use to get started. Plus, if you're new to this, it's good to have a ballpark idea of what's sane. Is 100 threads too many? How about 10,000?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
What would happen if I started another Fridat Night Drinking Thread?

How many threads is too many?

This is a sample chapter from my ebook Working With Ruby Threads. If you're curious about all the talk in the community about multi-threaded concurrency, this book will give you a gentle introduction so you can join the conversation.

This question is relevant whether you're whipping up a quick script to scrape some websites, trying to speed up a long-running calculation, or tuning your multi-threaded webserver.

I hope you're not surprised, but the answer is: well, that depends.

The only way to be sure is to measure and compare. Try it out with 1 thread per CPU core, try it out with 5 threads per CPU core, compare the results, move forward.

However, there are some heuristics you can use to get started. Plus, if you're new to this, it's good to have a ballpark idea of what's sane. Is 100 threads too many? How about 10,000?

And what are you drinking?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
And what are you drinking?

alcoholicdrinkssostrongtheycanknockout980x457_1439813031_1100x513.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here