Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Trouble at Gateshead FC

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
My local National League club, Gateshead FC exceeded all expectations this season finishing just outside of the playoffs in 9th place, but as this article shows, they may be on the verge of collapse. They currently have no staff, only 1 player, and as of Wednesday evening, no supporters! They are also currently evicted from the council owned stadium.

The supporters have voted to form a new club, and have vowed not to attend any matches played by the existing Gateshead FC under the current ownership!

HTML:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48134461

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I’ve always seen it as a strangely unviable situation - 12,000 seater stadium, gates of c800-1000 and top half Conference finishes - the maths never added up.

But have always had a soft spot for them since always choosing to be them on Premier Manager. Didn’t have to waste money on ground development and they had a great left footed striker called Obebo.

Never want to see a team go bust so hope some good comes out of it for the die hard fans.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
How many times will that be that Gateshead have been reformed from the original Football League club (including when they were South Shields)?

Looks like it would be the fourth club named Gateshead: South Shields relocated and renamed Gateshead in 1930 – Voted out of league in 1960 and folded in 1973. New club Gateshead United formed 1974 – dissolved 1977. Current club was formed in 1977.

As the current Gateshead FC have not folded, the new club that is planned would be a separate entity, not a phoenix club.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
I’ve always seen it as a strangely unviable situation - 12,000 seater stadium, gates of c800-1000 and top half Conference finishes - the maths never added up.

But have always had a soft spot for them since always choosing to be them on Premier Manager. Didn’t have to waste money on ground development and they had a great left footed striker called Obebo.

Never want to see a team go bust so hope some good comes out of it for the die hard fans.

I've attended a few games and it's certainly a strange experience, a larger version of Withdean, but with permanent stands, and much lower crowds.

Like you, I have often wondered how sustainable the model is. The club is (was) full time, but they seem to have cut costs but simply not paying any bills!

They were evicted from the offices and stopped from training at the stadium due to rent owed to the council, they had to appeal to the supporters to wash the players kit after failing to pay the local laundry, and to cap it all the supporters association arranged for meals to be provided to the players before away matches.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That's bad.

In fact, Bolton, Bury, Gateshead. . . it's been a bad week for clubs. And I'm sure we'll hear more soon from other clubs.

What’s up with Bury?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
We signed Norman Gall from Gateshead.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
What’s up with Bury?

After they achieved promotion, the players revealed they hadn't been paid for a couple of months. They decided to keep it secret so it didn't distract from their promotion push.

Edit: Their fans put together a GoFundMe to help those who hadn't been paid. Raised £6475.

Last edited:

PS for anyone genuinely interested in what has been going on at Bury, this is a good place to start:

http://twohundredpercent.net/shaken-stirred-burys-conflicted-end-of-season/
I only knew about this bit 'Day was also involved in a deal to sell off more than 250 car parking spaces at Gigg Lane, a project which now owes £190,000 to investors.'
There's a victim complaining about it here
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5953209&highlight=bury

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
PS for anyone genuinely interested in what has been going on at Bury, this is a good place to start:

Wow that is a pretty brutal summary of how not to run a football club. How can you take control of a football club not having done your proper due diligence, despite his statement, that’s a pretty damming indictment of Steve Dale and his team. Surely income and expenditure is the first thing you look at, so not to know that you are expected to pay out £1.6m at the end of May but only have £180k incoming for the same period is unforgivable.

Who’s going to buy into that and surely administration is inevitable at some point and a heavy points deduction next season. Hats off to the Bury players for playing on without pay. The complete opposite stance to that taken by the Bolton players last week. They come out of this with great credit.

Back when God's dog was a puppy, Bury had a fund raising campaign that said everyone who contributed would have their name on a seat.

I chipped in some money (I can't remember how much) but never heard any more. Did anyone else contribute and did anyone ever get to see their name on a seat?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Back when God's dog was a puppy, Bury had a fund raising campaign that said everyone who contributed would have their name on a seat.

I chipped in some money (I can't remember how much) but never heard any more. Did anyone else contribute and did anyone ever get to see their name on a seat?
Yes - I also supposedly have a name on a seat. But not sure it ever happened !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Aldershot Town actually have a phoenix on their crest, don't they? I believe they were already being formed whilst Aldershot FC was on its deathbed.

They use the same ground, though. I've watched Brighton play both versions there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Administrators for several of Day's companies (all based out of a small rented office) say they owe at least £27m.
https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....erty-kings-empire-goes-under-owing-27million/
199724033.jpg.gallery.jpg

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009

Yes I also chipped in as a friend was asking to save his club but never received any thanks or seat location.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here