Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] 40 Years Ago- May 3rd 1979- The UK's First Female Prime Minister Is Elected...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Idiotic statement. You don't get voted in 3 times in a democracy being that. You might have disliked her but that's rather an exaggeration.

If you consider the standard of opposition, and a fawning press, it was hardly surprising.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What bugs me is moronic statements like:

“Glad someone is dead.”

Just plain nasty and not why I go on NSC.
That is when I couldn’t be arsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true and I often wonder how many were actually “there” before and during.

The Labour government before Thatcher get off very lightly given the absolute mess they were overseeing and contributing to.

I didn't especially like her either, but millions did and that's democracy for yer. :)

We were all good little capitalists then (and I include myself in that) buying and selling "privatisation" share issues and then selling them to make a fast buck.

During that period I worked in a High Street bank and recall a large number or mortgages being taken out to buy granny and grandpa's council house at a knockdown price on the basis it was in the relatives name and the grandparents lived out their remaining years there.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Thatcher%20greatest%20PMs-01.png

Controversial ... this will get a few of NSC's finest spitting out their latte :whistle:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Controversial ... this will get a few of NSC's finest spitting out their latte :whistle:
It's not really that controversial. She was a divisive figure and those who thought she was good thought she was very very good. To prove the point, she only won a GE with >50% of the vote once. Nothing unusual there of course, but hardly suggests the backing of most of the nation. And actually, she'd come pretty close to the top of a "worst PM in living memory poll" too. She's the Man Utd of historical PMs really isn't she. :lolol:

I never liked her as she decimated parts of the country, but I think she was far better than anything we've seen since Tony Blair left office. Brown, Cameron and May have all been absolute gash.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She’d have banged heads together and sorted Brexit though.

Although there is no way she would have let it go to a vote.

She had at least one on hanging, though.

Referenda are for when parliament doesn't fancy it but the PM does, usually for personal reasons, and is convinced 'the people' will back her/him. This seemingly most 'democratic' of mechanisms is in fact only a step away from patriotism as the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Idiotic statement. You don't get voted in 3 times in a democracy being that. You might have disliked her but that's rather an exaggeration.

I would be very surprised if those who fulminate about 'Tony B Liar' would agree he is equal best ever PM with Thatcher because he also was thrice successful in GEs, though. One's disdain is often at odds with popular opinion. On sales alone, the UK's greatest ever rock/pop/vocal star is.....'The Lord's Prayer' and 'Big Birtha' man himself, the vestal virgin, Sir Cliff.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Does anyone remember the woman who stood in the North Stand at the Goldstone, who was a dead ringer of our beloved Marge? Probably 77-78?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not really that controversial. She was a divisive figure and those who thought she was good thought she was very very good. To prove the point, she only won a GE with >50% of the vote once. Nothing unusual there of course, but hardly suggests the backing of most of the nation. And actually, she'd come pretty close to the top of a "worst PM in living memory poll" too. She's the Man Utd of historical PMs really isn't she. :lolol:

I never liked her as she decimated parts of the country, but I think she was far better than anything we've seen since Tony Blair left office. Brown, Cameron and May have all been absolute gash.

She never won an election with more than 50%. Most was just shy of 44%.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We don't vote for Prime Minister. We elect our local MP. The party asked to form the government has selected who will be their PM. Technically this is true and I take comfort from it.

If it makes you feel better I guess, ho hum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here