Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Refereeing

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've been giving it some thought for a while now, but I'm considering going on the courses to become a referee.

I don't know if any of NSC's great and good have done so, are there any out there and would be able to explain what to expect?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I've been giving it some thought for a while now, but I'm considering going on the courses to become a referee.

I don't know if any of NSC's great and good have done so, are there any out there and would be able to explain what to expect?

Who’s the wanker in the black?

(It’s a pity his father wasn’t)

Etc etc

Good luck!

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Hanging up my whistle after a good run of 12 years (after coaching, playing).

I am tired of petulant, entitled 12 year olds and high schoolers acting out, ignorant coaches and parents who flat-out don't know the rules, and cheating, whining adult players. It's mostly the grown-ups causing issues and that rubs off on the young uns, sadly.
I tried to hang in there because there's a global ref shortage -- because see above. No actual violence here on Maui but that's coming soon, I fully expect. I just lost the enthusiasm of getting up early on a Saturday to face the inevitable crap. Sad because I'm the senior/Head Ref on Maui.

That said, I'm sure you'll love it. Fill yer boots.

:moo:

'

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hanging up my whistle after a good run of 12 years (after coaching, playing).

I am tired of petulant, entitled 12 year olds and high schoolers acting out, ignorant coaches and parents who flat-out don't know the rules, and cheating, whining adult players. It's mostly the grown-ups causing issues and that rubs off on the young uns, sadly.
I tried to hang in there because there's a global ref shortage -- because see above. No actual violence here on Maui but that's coming soon, I fully expect. I just lost the enthusiasm of getting up early on a Saturday to face the inevitable crap. Sad because I'm the senior/Head Ref on Maui.

That said, I'm sure you'll love it. Fill yer boots.

:moo:

'
A couple of years ago Jnr who would have been around that age joined in with a few teammates back chatting the ref after a decision.
I called out:-

'one more word from you and you're coming off and I don't know if you'll ever be back'.

My boy has never spoken the referee since. :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm doing a rugby refs course this summer.

That's a much easier life: no answering back, no simulating injuries, no petulance and get addressed as "Sir"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I ran the line in a Sunday league game once. That was one time too many. It was a horrible experience. Never again.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Most local league football disappearing rapidly. Several leagues I played in back in Kent largely disappeared.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
I did it for several seasons, mainly youth and Sunday league. Seasons became progressively worse. It is a bad example from the pampered pro's but doesn't excuse the lower league behavior. What stunned me more was how little understanding of rules there were from players and managers. The sport really needs to look into what can be done or it will be ref free in a few years, most I know have given up.

Frankly I'd rather take the mother in law out for a Sunday drive with radio 2 on for hours rather than ref again

Enjoy it if you do pass the course tho

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I did it for several seasons, mainly youth and Sunday league. Seasons became progressively worse. It is a bad example from the pampered pro's but doesn't excuse the lower league behavior. What stunned me more was how little understanding of rules there were from players and managers. The sport really needs to look into what can be done or it will be ref free in a few years, most I know have given up.

Frankly I'd rather take the mother in law out for a Sunday drive with radio 2 on for hours rather than ref again

Enjoy it if you do pass the course tho

Obviously having little understanding of 'being' a ref so far, but doesn't taking a more authoritarian line when reffing (and by that I mean keeping to the letter of the law) help teach them or keep them in line? I'm aware this may be incredibly naive of me, but I'm just getting an idea of what to expect should I progress.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Authoritarian makes it sound easy but the response of many to that approach will be to become more abusive, and parents or fans don't care anyhow. Sorry I'm not trying to put you off, see how you find it. The game desperately needs refs but just doesn't help itself in what's accepted and allowed. The training can actually be fun and was a good laugh with others. Good luck

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
A couple of years ago Jnr who would have been around that age joined in with a few teammates back chatting the ref after a decision.
I called out:-

'one more word from you and you're coming off and I don't know if you'll ever be back'.

My boy has never spoken the referee since. :thumbsup:

Brilliant

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here