Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ray Clarke

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Interesting article in the Sun that may of interest to older supporters .
Have to confess my memories of him have faded over the years , nice to see though that he has been successful post retiring prematurely from professional football .

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8971434/ray-clarke-tottenham-ajax-feature/

Meet the unknown Brit who is Ajax’s ONLY ever English player.. and became hero by winning the double

Former Tottenham trainee Ray Clarke spent just one season in Amsterdam but is a local legend

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My memory may be wrong but wasn’t he brought in to spice up a dreadful forward line under Mike Bailey. Did a good job as I remember too

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My memory may be wrong but wasn’t he brought in to spice up a dreadful forward line under Mike Bailey. Did a good job as I remember too

Pretty sure he was here under Mullery. He headed the ball down for Ryan to stab home at Forest in the 79/80 season from a cross by Lawrenson.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Played well alongside Ward and created chances for him. A much better player than Maybank for that. Ward blossomed alongside Clarke in the same way as he did with Mellor.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I think he scored in the south stand goal against Liverpool 1st season

header maybe?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

header maybe?

We got him from Brugge. He took a bit of stick at times but was alright.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
One of my first Albion heroes - not sure why. He was the reason why, when I was about 9, I planned to change my name to Ray as soon as I was old enough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That doesn't really sound like the Albion, does it?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Also scored in the New Years Day 2-2 draw at Bristol City and the 3rd Round Cup win at Mansfield January 1980

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

header maybe?

Do believe you are correct. I think we lost 5-1 (or maybe 4-1) but his goal was described as a 'Ray of hope'. He was signed remember because none of our other strikers were able to score in the top division. Sound familiar?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Did he score a diving header in front of the North Stand? That's one of my earliest Albion memories, but I might be confusing him with a different player.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Also scored in the New Years Day 2-2 draw at Bristol City and the 3rd Round Cup win at Mansfield January 1980

Was at the Bristol City New Years day game , seem to recall that we had 5000 fans , there or is time playing tricks on the memory cells ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Clinical in front of goal but all round play was pretty average. He left us for Newcastle where he was found wanting. Did a good job for us whilst he was here.

Less found wanting and more a career threatening hip injury diagnosed while at the Albion. They soon got rid of him.

Only lasted a few more matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here