Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not at all.

In the EU elections, they will get the most votes and can be a useful ally over the summer to get us out of the wretched EU.

Only problem being that they are not and will not be in government in order to negotiate. They can't affect the EU's negotiation strategy as that is finished and they can't negotiate us out of the EU as they have been elected to the wrong Parliament !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No break downs or meltdowns, as I mentioned to another stalker on another thread.
Get over Me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We must’ve imagined you going completely mental, denying reality, and then disappearing without a trace.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Didn’t think it was a self imposed exile, I just stopped posting on the Brexit thread because it’s full *****.
Take care x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah. It just happened that you stopped posting at the exact moment it became obvious to all that you were a total lunatic.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We must’ve imagined you going completely mental, denying reality, and then disappearing without a trace.

You forgot to add that he spat his dummy and said he was never voting again in his life as he had been " Betrayed " !

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Only problem being that they are not and will not be in government in order to negotiate. They can't affect the EU's negotiation strategy as that is finished and they can't negotiate us out of the EU as they have been elected to the wrong Parliament !
But the enjoyable result of annoying Guy Verhofstadt and other federalists in the ALDE grouping can't be discounted as a positive that might make it worthwhile.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But the enjoyable result of annoying Guy Verhofstadt and other federalists in the ALDE grouping can't be discounted as a positive that might make it worthwhile.

Verhofstadt's roasting of Farage was utterly hilarious. " I'll tell you Mr Farage what the biggest waste of EU money has been, your salary... "

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He must be loving what’s coming up.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Brexit Party unfortunately will give everyone a bloody nose come Euro Elections.

You're certainly not wrong there.

Unfortunately, mainly the people who voted for them :shootself:

If you made it up, no one would believe you :rolleyes:

*edit* I was going to explain why, but realised it would be a waste of time and keystrokes

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
In a nutshell the local Tories put up my essential workers permit from £100 to £300.
Next election I contacted the Labour leader who said it's disgusting, he went to the press all hell broke loose, I voted labour and they took over the council.
Later I contacted the Labour leader to find out if the permit is to be reduced, nothing, he eventually said that he will pass it on to the relevant member who I have chased but got nowhere.
The permit is due for renewal soon, still £300.
They have also put up the cost of taxi licenses to a stupid amount and the council tax has also gone up.
Basically I was used while they were in opposition only to do nothing about it in power.
But I have not let it lie and will go to town over this very soon.
Labour have kicked in the nuts the very people that would vote for them.
Upshot is bollox to them all, they don't deserve my vote and I am looking forward to turning the tables in them through the press.
Lib Dems I hear you say, he looks like Worzel Gummidge and apparently is a hoarder.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In a nutshell the local Tories put up my essential workers permit from £100 to £300.
Next election I contacted the Labour leader who said it's disgusting, he went to the press all hell broke loose, I voted labour and they took over the council.
Later I contacted the Labour leader to find out if the permit is to be reduced, nothing, he eventually said that he will pass it on to the relevant member who I have chased but got nowhere.
The permit is due for renewal soon, still £300.
They have also put up the cost of taxi licenses to a stupid amount and the council tax has also gone up.
Basically I was used while they were in opposition only to do nothing about it in power.
But I have not let it lie and will go to town over this very soon.
Labour have kicked in the nuts the very people that would vote for them.
Upshot is bollox to them all, they don't deserve my vote and I am looking forward to turning the tables in them through the press.
Lib Dems I hear you say, he looks like Worzel Gummidge and apparently is a hoarder.
If the labour council leader promised he was going to reduce the fee if he won tgen went back on it, clearly that's a promise which should never have been made. However the blame for the increased local taxes and reduced services must surely be laid squarely at 10 Downing Street. Council's up and down the country, of whatever colour are on the verge of bankruptcy and its only going to get worse when the central government money drys up completely

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If the labour council leader promised he was going to reduce the fee if he won tgen went back on it, clearly that's a promise which should never have been made. However the blame for the increased local taxes and reduced services must surely be laid squarely at 10 Downing Street. Council's up and down the country, of whatever colour are on the verge of bankruptcy and its only going to get worse when the central government money drys up completely

Agreed, which is one of many reasons I won't vote Tory in the general election.
I do not allow Westminster politics to cloud my judgement in local elections, I have been mugged off down here locally by both Tories and Labour.
There is something I really dislike about local councillors, power mad local nobodies who rejoice in the fact they have the power to screw you over and generally could not give a toss about your town/ city or the people who live there.
Wannabe politicians.
I have lived in Plymouth for 16 years and each council has been absolutely useless on so many fronts.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This.. Councils have had their central funding cut year on year to the extent that they have to maximise whatever revenue streams they can and cut whatever services they can get away with and selling off or outsourcing the running of council ( Local Peoples ) assets. The councils take the flak rather than the government as austerity continues onwards despite it being 10 years since the last financial crash.

A crash that was not caused by funding youth groups, public toilets, Dog Wardens, Beach Patrols or pest officers. Neither was it caused by children with Special Needs or patients that required life saving treatment and surgery or those that required long term care and support. Disabled people and those on long term disability benefits did not cause the crash by having a spare bedroom either. Remember where the blame lies.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He must be loving what’s coming up.

" Ah, Mr Farage ! It's good to see you again, are you back to feed from the hand that allegedly bites you again ? "

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have you ever tried to get around an entire ward, constituency or council area? Or have you ever been a member of a team that attempted to do so? You might find it's a time-consuming operation overwhelmingly conducted by volunteers.

Yes, it was great fun in 2007, delivering leaflets for the Seagulls Party. Quite an army of volunteers in our kitchen.

We have town council elections as well as Lewes district elections. Things got a bit nasty in Lewes with people who had Labour, Green or LibDem posters in their windows, having TRAITOR spray painted on their houses.

I've voted LibDem and Independent for both councils. The Independent is someone I know of.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It could be very interesting in about 50 minutes time when the exit polls come out, already talk that the Tory vote has collapsed. Mind you, that can be good for them as when the next cuts in government central grants happens it won't be Tory run councils that will have to deal with it, it will be Labour/Lib-dems who will get the blame for the reductions in services.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This.. Councils have had their central funding cut year on year to the extent that they have to maximise whatever revenue streams they can and cut whatever services they can get away with and selling off or outsourcing the running of council ( Local Peoples ) assets. The councils take the flak rather than the government as austerity continues onwards despite it being 10 years since the last financial crash.

A crash that was not caused by funding youth groups, public toilets, Dog Wardens, Beach Patrols or pest officers. Neither was it caused by children with Special Needs or patients that required life saving treatment and surgery or those that required long term care and support. Disabled people and those on long term disability benefits did not cause the crash by having a spare bedroom either. Remember where the blame lies.

I totally agree with all of this, but it's the amount my permit went up from £100 to £300 and the amount local taxis now have to pay.
I would have gladly paid an extra £50 to £100 if I was sure the extra money raised was going to essential services especially children's services.
The council cuts from Westminster are disgusting, essential services are on there knees.
Also when in opposition the labour leader promised it would be adjusted to a reasonable amount, he had no intention of doing so.
I cannot vote for people like that or the people that put it up by that amount in the first place.
But I can't even start to tell you how much I hate the evil Teresa May.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here