Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Oh, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the thickos coming out to vote again are they?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I completely get everything you say, but my vote is a clear message to the local Labour Party that they need to support getting rid of Corbyn and get a leader less tainted by toxic associations and statements that make him forever unelectable.

I'm sending a message to the Tories too by voting for a party to the left of Labour.

There is never and can never be an acceptable leader of The Labour Party, the right wing press and the people with all the influence will always find something to smear the incumbent leader and make him / her "Unelectable " All the while this deflects quite nicely away from the worst government in history who really should be unelectable.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That's a shame.

Whatever you think of the handling of Brexit and the general incompetence of the Govt. these elections are about local issues. Not Theresa May (or Jeremy Corbyn)

These are about your Council Tax, levels of Recycling , local services, upkeep of parks and leisure facilities etc.and how hard you feel your local Councillor has worked and represented you over the past 4 years.

If you want to give the Tories a bloody nose, wait until the Euro Elections.

The Brexit Party unfortunately will give everyone a bloody nose come Euro Elections.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So you have voted for a member of UKIP, really still a Single Issue party and we all know which issue, to represent you in local council meetings about local services and issues ? Do you think he will even turn up if elected ? UKIP don't have a great record when it comes to constructive debate as mostly their default position is to oppose anything on principle and stomp their feet.

UKIP have lurched to the right. I used to think that a vote for UKIP was just another vote. Now it disturbs me.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Have voted Tory forever,I'm a Tory member, but can't do it any more, not after the Brexit betrayal. Given the options in our district were 2 Tories, 2 Lid Dems, 1 Labour and 1 UKIP then I had no choice but to vote UKIP.

No party led by Theresa May will ever get my vote again. No party led by Jeremy Corbyn should ever be allowed anywhere near sensible politics, and the Lib Dems support staying in the EU which I do not. All it left was UKIP.

I fully understand the point over voting based on local issues not national, but frankly the locals don't really matter that much. They either fill in the holes in the road or they don't. They either collect the bins weekly or fortnightly. They might bother to improve the local area a little but or they might not. Beyond that I don't care too much. I'd rather use my vote against the Tories shambolic handling of Brexit.

So a Tory member votes UKIP and may end up with a Labour or LibDem Councillor.

Great thinking.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I used to vote for Ivor Caplin who is a life long fan of BHA, a personal friend and was the local MP. Yes he had his problems, but ...... I could never vote ukipOr this Brexit mob and the liberals and greens are an irrelevance at the moment.

You're not wrong. Dreadful warmonger being one of them. Mind you the majority of then Labour MPs and all bar a few Tories voted for Iraq too (that went well, didn't it?), and I'm sure if UKIP had one elected, they'd have voted for it, because that would have been a delicious opportunity to maim some Muslims. On a related point, those irrelevant Lib Dems and Greens thought it was a bad idea, and voted against it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just had a couple of Labour Party supporters knock on my door to remind me to vote, I have already though. No sign of Tories or Lib-Dems recently. Looks like my ward might change hands this time unless the Tories are wheeling them out of care homes to vote.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No knocks on the door, and no leaflets through the letterbox in my part of worthing, hence no voting from me, if they can't be arsed then neither can I

Have you ever tried to get around an entire ward, constituency or council area? Or have you ever been a member of a team that attempted to do so? You might find it's a time-consuming operation overwhelmingly conducted by volunteers.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Labour is bigger than their leader. I find this obsession with Corbyn strange, like McCarthyism when you only had to look at something and you might be turned into a communist. All very odd. Labour Manifesto at the last election wasn't that different to Ed Miliband, who was further left if anything. Vote on the issues, principles and people who will actually represent you.

Corbyn isn't going away, but rather than a vote for Labour being a vote of confidence in Corbyn, you could see it as a clear message to the Tories that they need to move left to the center ground rather than further right which seems on the cards.

The change in Leader has heralded quite a few changes in the Labour party, perhaps you missed them.

Many good, principled people have left the Labour party.

Labour is a party being investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission over anti-Semitism ... they also investigated the BNP.

Corbyn has facilitated a takeover of the Labour party by momentum, moderate MP's (see above) and councillors resigning or being de-selected.

Any manifesto promising money for all is unsurprisingly quite popular with many people but the underlying core beliefs of Corbyn/ McDonnell and their motley inner circle of far-left disciples remain constant. (eg the Shadow Chancellor of the UK wants to overthrow capitalism)

The 'vote on the issues' line is what otherwise decent people trot out to excuse voting for these scumbags. :nono:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Over here in the Chichester area, I couldn't rouse myself to vote for anybody.
Real case of CBA.:shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Only the two candidates in my ward, Lib Dem and Tory. No idea who either of them are, which is especially sad as this is a small village so going canvassing would have been effective.

They could be bloody cattle for all I know.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The change in Leader has heralded quite a few changes in the Labour party, perhaps you missed them.

Many good, principled people have left the Labour party.

Labour is a party being investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission over anti-Semitism ... they also investigated the BNP.

Corbyn has facilitated a takeover of the Labour party by momentum, moderate MP's (see above) and councillors resigning or being de-selected.

Any manifesto promising money for all is unsurprisingly quite popular with many people but the underlying core beliefs of Corbyn/ McDonnell and their motley inner circle of far-left disciples remain constant. (eg the Shadow Chancellor of the UK wants to overthrow capitalism)

The 'vote on the issues' line is what otherwise decent people trot out to excuse voting for these scumbags. :nono:

Hard to argue with any of this.
Momentum ruined the party imo.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here