Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I shall never lend My vote to the Tories again, I could never vote Labour,The illiberal anti democratics pffft.
UKIP today, Brexit party on the 23rd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’ve just gone round Westdene putting leaflets in every door telling them the vote is tomorrow if you want to vote Tory. Only a gag like saying a football match is postponed and it’s not , hopefully everyone will find it funny

Do you reckon if he gets elected, his first act will be to demand flogging for cyclists riding along the prom!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Have voted Tory forever,I'm a Tory member, but can't do it any more, not after the Brexit betrayal. Given the options in our district were 2 Tories, 2 Lid Dems, 1 Labour and 1 UKIP then I had no choice but to vote UKIP.

No party led by Theresa May will ever get my vote again. No party led by Jeremy Corbyn should ever be allowed anywhere near sensible politics, and the Lib Dems support staying in the EU which I do not. All it left was UKIP.

I fully understand the point over voting based on local issues not national, but frankly the locals don't really matter that much. They either fill in the holes in the road or they don't. They either collect the bins weekly or fortnightly. They might bother to improve the local area a little but or they might not. Beyond that I don't care too much. I'd rather use my vote against the Tories shambolic handling of Brexit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You say that about local politicians but in our case, peter stepped up to the plate...fought our corner against the shysters trying to railroad house building In a. Totally unsuitable area.

We have a serious issue with recycling and the truck getting into our close with parking around our area...he got double yellow lines put down to assist. He arranged a meeting with local residents at the entrance to the close and city clean boss to show the issues we had.

He has engaged with the local constabulary to combat rising anti social behaviour around here and always answers email wishing the day if not the hour and will chase up issues.

He and the Labour Party members were challenged by the Stalinist momentum people and fought them off and is a great supporter of Peter Kyle, another excellent local MP who is being hounded by these same people as he is not seen to be a corbyn supporter.

In the GE I will again vote for Peter Kyle as he is an excellent local MP. I don't give two fecks about Corbyn and the Tories I will never vote for again. It is really all about local issues...I used to vote for Ivor Caplin who is a life long fan of BHA, a personal friend and was the local MP. Yes he had his problems, but ...... I could never vote ukipOr this Brexit mob and the liberals and greens are an irrelevance at the moment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I shall never lend My vote to the Tories again, I could never vote Labour,The illiberal anti democratics pffft.
UKIP today, Brexit party on the 23rd.

Oh ? You are back ? I thought you had retired from all comment after your breakdown and meltdown as 29th March approached ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have voted Tory forever,I'm a Tory member, but can't do it any more, not after the Brexit betrayal. Given the options in our district were 2 Tories, 2 Lid Dems, 1 Labour and 1 UKIP then I had no choice but to vote UKIP.

No party led by Theresa May will ever get my vote again. No party led by Jeremy Corbyn should ever be allowed anywhere near sensible politics, and the Lib Dems support staying in the EU which I do not. All it left was UKIP.

I fully understand the point over voting based on local issues not national, but frankly the locals don't really matter that much. They either fill in the holes in the road or they don't. They either collect the bins weekly or fortnightly. They might bother to improve the local area a little but or they might not. Beyond that I don't care too much. I'd rather use my vote against the Tories shambolic handling of Brexit.

So you have voted for a member of UKIP, really still a Single Issue party and we all know which issue, to represent you in local council meetings about local services and issues ? Do you think he will even turn up if elected ? UKIP don't have a great record when it comes to constructive debate as mostly their default position is to oppose anything on principle and stomp their feet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No break downs or meltdowns, as I mentioned to another stalker on another thread.
Get over Me.

Oh I'm well over you Mr Lite, just thought it was odd that your self imposed exile came to an end so quickly.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Oh I'm well over you Mr Lite, just thought it was odd that your self imposed exile came to an end so quickly.

Didn’t think it was a self imposed exile, I just stopped posting on the Brexit thread because it’s full *****.
Take care x

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

You just don't get the same quality of flounces these days. It's all :flounce::cry::flounce::cry: and then straight back with the same old crap within a few days :wink:

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
It's a shame that people can't separate national and local politics. These elections are nothing to do with Corbyn's views on Brexit (or indeed Brexit full stop) or the 'performance' of our tragically-inept government - this is about local services. Go and vote for the people you think can do that best. (Labour, obviously).

The trouble is that if I vote Labour that'll be taken as a vote of confidence in Corbyn in the same way Labour will take the Tories getting a hammering as a verdict on May. This is why supporting Labour even on local issues is unpalatable for as long as Corbyn is in charge.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Woman in the queue behind me came in to vote for the Brexit party. When informed that they were not represented, she declined to vote for anyone.
I hope that is not represented countrywide tonight/May 23rd

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
SMDC council our ward Leek South 1 Blue a Red an Indy,plus 1 L/D and a Green if i am right (?) only the Blue has knocked on our door. Absolutely nothing from no one else.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Woman in the queue behind me came in to vote for the Brexit party. When informed that they were not represented, she declined to vote for anyone.

Nah,Farage like it not will do very well in the EU elections and BTW our EU polling cards arrived two weeks ago !!!!!!!!!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Oh, I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The trouble is that if I vote Labour that'll be taken as a vote of confidence in Corbyn in the same way Labour will take the Tories getting a hammering as a verdict on May. This is why supporting Labour even on local issues is unpalatable for as long as Corbyn is in charge.

Labour is bigger than their leader. I find this obsession with Corbyn strange, like McCarthyism when you only had to look at something and you might be turned into a communist. All very odd. Labour Manifesto at the last election wasn't that different to Ed Miliband, who was further left if anything. Vote on the issues, principles and people who will actually represent you.

Corbyn isn't going away, but rather than a vote for Labour being a vote of confidence in Corbyn, you could see it as a clear message to the Tories that they need to move left to the center ground rather than further right which seems on the cards.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
On my ballot paper were three Conservatives (never have, never will), Three LibDems (I might have, but the local MP resigned the whip so he could vote for Brexit, yet they still claim him as one of their own so not to be trusted), Two Labour (cannot vote for them because of Corbyn, despite having been a member for half my life), one Ukip (nope) and one Green (whom I voted for even though she's not got a hope).

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
Corbyn isn't going away, but rather than a vote for Labour being a vote of confidence in Corbyn, you could see it as a clear message to the Tories that they need to move left to the center ground rather than further right which seems on the cards.

I completely get everything you say, but my vote is a clear message to the local Labour Party that they need to support getting rid of Corbyn and get a leader less tainted by toxic associations and statements that make him forever unelectable.

I'm sending a message to the Tories too by voting for a party to the left of Labour.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I think this shows the magnitude of the problem facing the UK's democracy at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here