Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Local Council Elections

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You are seriously saying there are two conservative or two BNP "style" candidates and nobody else? Crikey, where do you live, Alabama?

If only.

2 seats up for grabs in our District Council ward, standing are 2 Conservatives and 2 Indepenents that were previously funded by the BNP.
For the first time in my life I have voted Conservative to try to ensure the racists don't get in by the back door.

I feel dirty

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If only.

2 seats up for grabs in our District Council ward, standing are 2 Conservatives and 2 Indepenents that were previously funded by the BNP.
For the first time in my life I have voted Conservative to try to ensure the racists don't get in by the back door.

I feel dirty

Bloody hell. Normally in those 'unwinnable' one-party seats where the just weigh the votes seats at least one party will put up a 'paper' candidate. Local members allow their name to go on the ballot paper as Lib Dem, Labour or whatever - but they then do no campaigning, canvassing, leafleting, etc. It's just so that there is a choice on the ballot paper. I know about this as my mum often stands as a Lib Dem in solid Tory areas in Worthing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Voting for Peter Atkinson in north Portslade . Really excellent local councillor for our area and approachable and GETS THINGS DONE!

Labour chap!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You are seriously saying there are two conservative or two BNP "style" candidates and nobody else? Crikey, where do you live, Alabama?

Bloody hell. Normally in those 'unwinnable' one-party seats where the just weigh the votes seats at least one party will put up a 'paper' candidate. Local members allow their name to go on the ballot paper as Lib Dem, Labour or whatever - but they then do no campaigning, canvassing, leafleting, etc. It's just so that there is a choice on the ballot paper. I know about this as my mum often stands as a Lib Dem in solid Tory areas in Worthing.

Maldon District Council

currently
27 Conservatives
5 Independent

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I've lived in Worthing nearly 20 years and no matter what type of election it is, the Tories never bother canvassing as they know they will win anyway. As I have never voted Tory in my life, and never will, I used to vote for whichever candidate came and knocked on my door. This time around nobody from Labour, LibDems or Greens came a-knocking. Maybe they have given up trying to oust the Tories too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've lived in Worthing nearly 20 years and no matter what type of election it is, the Tories never bother canvassing as they know they will win anyway. As I have never voted Tory in my life, and never will, I used to vote for whichever candidate came and knocked on my door. This time around nobody from Labour, LibDems or Greens came a-knocking. Maybe they have given up trying to oust the Tories too.

Whereas, also living in Worthing, I only had a Tory at the door.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No election in Hastings today as it took place last year, however I'm aware that in neighbouring Rother today, which is as Tory as you can get, there is now an 'Association of Independents' group who have a target of getting to 12 seats on the district council from their current 4. They're purely made up of like minded, community spirited people who are known and respected locally in each ward. It's the only way of making a dent in a safe as houses Tory district council.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

To be honest, most door knockers are just volunteers. In the present climate, I don't expect the anger, abuse and even physical attacks and threats is that appealing to your average political canvasser.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
:stupid::rolleyes:
It's a shame that people can't separate national and local politics. These elections are nothing to do with Corbyn's views on Brexit (or indeed Brexit full stop) or the 'performance' of our tragically-inept government - this is about local services. Go and vote for the people you think can do that best. (Labour, obviously).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Politicians can’t be be bothered collectively to look after the well being of our country so I have no intention of waisting my time voting in these local elections, I’m in the Hangleton & Knoll ward fwiw.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm thinking that Labour are going to take a big old pummeling in Brighton & Hove. There isnt really a viable right option to punish the Tories with but I can see the Greens and less so Lib Dems hoovering up the centre and left vote from Labour

You haven't been round these parts for long, I'd imagine. Fortunately the Green surge that began a few decades back has put paid to the Lib Dems. What's happened in B&H will hopefully happen soon enough in national politics. They're an irrelevance, and I blame that doe-eyed one that's currently sucking up to Zuckerberg for their travails.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's a shame that people can't separate national and local politics. These elections are nothing to do with Corbyn's views on Brexit (or indeed Brexit full stop) or the 'performance' of our tragically-inept government - this is about local services. Go and vote for the people you think can do that best. (Labour, obviously).

Because the different parties have different visions for our city and, as a consequence, will try and bring about different policies. It's a local election, and local councils' power was drastically reduced by the centralising Thatcher, but there are still certain levers that local councils can pull.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I come under Horsham although I live near Steyning. Two votes for five candidates. Two Tories standing and one for UKIP, Labour and Green. I don't vote anything right of centre so my votes came through default. Tories will win.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Correct

Apart from the last bit, obviously!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In Worthing I'm voting Lib Dem.

The Tory chap who knocked on my door seemed decent enough, and tried to distance himself from the shambolic show going on in national politics right now, but I can't completely divorce the two, which is why Labour is also out of my own personal equation.

That's a shame.

Whatever you think of the handling of Brexit and the general incompetence of the Govt. these elections are about local issues. Not Theresa May (or Jeremy Corbyn)

These are about your Council Tax, levels of Recycling , local services, upkeep of parks and leisure facilities etc.and how hard you feel your local Councillor has worked and represented you over the past 4 years.

If you want to give the Tories a bloody nose, wait until the Euro Elections.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To be honest, most door knockers are just volunteers. In the present climate, I don't expect the anger, abuse and even physical attacks and threats is that appealing to your average political canvasser.
In my ward in Worthing I had the Labour candidate and supporters knock on my door. No sign of the Lib-dem/ Tory candidates, in my ward. It used to be a Tory safe seat but went Lib-dem a couple of times in the last 20 years but last time the Lib dem vote collapsed and Labour came a very close second..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here