Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Non-milk milk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone a regular consumer of non-dairy milk? Soya, almond, oat or something else?

I'm not a coffee drinker and I tried a masala chai in the local coffee shop the other day, which was served with soya milk. It was amazing, and has me considering trying some of these weirdo non-milks.

What's worth trying? Do they all go with regular tea and taste ok?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I use Alpro Coconut Almond in Iced coffee + on cereal at home which is pretty good

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Went dairy free for a month last year. Made no difference to anything, but when I went back to normal milk in a latte it tasted weird. Soya is so much nicer because it’s creamier and sweeter. I have normal milk in tea or on cereal or anything like that, but will only drink soya in a latte now. Way nicer.

Almond milk is fine in porridge or something like that, but it’s pretty rank in tea.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I drink cows milk but also enjoy “oat milk”, goes well with most things I’ve tried so far.

The one I tried was £1.80 per litre but I wouldn’t normally have it in the house, just when I order stuff out and about.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
Oatly barista is the best one I've tried so far. I'm trying to use less cows milk and this one is lovely in a coffee or on cereal.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone a regular consumer of non-dairy milk? Soya, almond, oat or something else?

I'm not a coffee drinker and I tried a masala chai in the local coffee shop the other day, which was served with soya milk. It was amazing, and has me considering trying some of these weirdo non-milks.

Use the non sweetened almond in my green health shakes, but in regular tea or coffee its generally all :sick:

Sooner drink a herbal or green tea than normal tea with weird tasting milk!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I drink cows milk but also enjoy “oat milk”, goes well with most things I’ve tried so far.

The one I tried was £1.80 per litre but I wouldn’t normally have it in the house, just when I order stuff out and about.

it's a piece of piss to make and ridiculously cheap

My wife is vegan so we never really have milk milk in the house so it tends to be soya for tea or oat for coffee

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Any milk in coffee is, quite obviously, wrong. As it is in the 'weird' teas that I drink.
Aside from that, I've recently acquainted myself with these, and have pretty much given up drinking 'milk' milk now. Butter and cheese will remain within my repertoire, and will be very difficult to shift. Oat milk is the most environmentally sustainable of the lot, and I like it in porridge, but less so with the granola (with strawberries and dried cherries) I have when the summer months materialise. I'm currently experimenting with hazelnut milk, which works fine (although I'm put off by the fact that it's got sugar in it -- unlike the oat milk). I'm also going to try cashew, almond and coconut to see how they work.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
My son has recently gone vegan so have been buying him various different milks - almond, oat, soya, hemp. Most are available in sweetened or unsweetened versions and as fresh (chilled) or long life.

His favourite is chilled unsweetened oat.

I have skimmed milk in my tea and whilst all the milk-alikes taste a bit different I could cope with unsweetened oat and soya but found hemp too "nutty" and almond a bit sickly.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
it's a piece of piss to make and ridiculously cheap

My wife is vegan so we never really have milk milk in the house so it tends to be soya for tea or oat for coffee

I tend not to make stuff in the kitchen, I loathe faff. But if it saves the pennies I’ll google that, thanks

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Oatly barista is the best one I've tried so far. I'm trying to use less cows milk and this one is lovely in a coffee or on cereal.
Id second this one, the only one I find thats truly compatible with a good coffee and takes the least adjustment. Its now in short supply and the shelves are often bare where its stocked.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I tend not to make stuff in the kitchen, I loathe faff. But if it saves the pennies I’ll google that, thanks

yeh its literally just oats and water

Lush

Mods' Pet
We have Alpro Coconut Almond in cereals/porridge. Much more fresh tasting than milk. Wait for it to go on offer to £1 a carton at the supermarket (even Waitrose), then stockpile. Will save you a fortune.

Interested in trying oat milk for tea. In my experience if you stick with it, your tastebuds adjust - like when you give up sugar in tea, then after a while you can't bear sugary tea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here