Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Our vigilant immigration regime

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have posted several time on various threads commenting on the hundreds of characters (Albanian?) doing ball under cup scams on Westminster Bridge under the watchless eye of uninterested plod.

Meanwhile I just heard that my mate's son, who met, fell in love with, and married an American women, has been told she will not be allowed to move to the UK. He has a good job. There are no criminal convictions. They are white and literate.

Elsewhere, tens of thousands of mainly Chinese students have had their visas revoked owing to language proficiency fraud. Good. And yet, at a Russel Group uni, where I work, I listened to a talk the other week by a Chinese student who, in her project on neuropharmacology, did not know how to pronounce synapse or explain what one was. This is like a painter not knowing what a paintbrush is or what to do with it.

Not wishing to morph into an ersatz Alfredmizen, what the actual ****? Our immigration 'police' are just picking off easy targets so they can provide this shitshow of a government with stats to show how tough they are, isn't it.

This country is in a sad and pathetic pickle.

Correct me if I'm wrong (but not using bogus statistics, please - 99% of bogus statistics are initially uplifting but ultimately unsatisfying).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have posted several time on various threads commenting on the hundreds of characters (Albanian?) doing ball under cup scams on Westminster Bridge under the watchless eye of uninterested plod.

Meanwhile I just heard that my mate's son, who met, fell in love with, and married an American women, has been told she will not be allowed to move to the UK. He has a good job. There are no criminal convictions. They are white and literate.

Elsewhere, tens of thousands of mainly Chinese students have had their visas revoked owing to language proficiency fraud. Good. And yet, at a Russel Group uni, where I work, I listened to a talk the other week by a Chinese student who, in her project on neuropharmacology, did not know how to pronounce synapse or explain what one was. This is like a painter not knowing what a paintbrush is or what to do with it.

Not wishing to morph into an ersatz Alfredmizen, what the actual ****? Our immigration 'police' are just picking off easy targets so they can provide this shitshow of a government with stats to show how tough they are, isn't it.

This country is in a sad and pathetic pickle.

Correct me if I'm wrong (but not using bogus statistics, please - 99% of bogus statistics are initially uplifting but ultimately unsatisfying).

I had a Chinese Lecturer at London University when I did my Computer Science Masters. Looking at his profile it was quite obvious the man was a genius but unfortunately I couldn't understand a word he said and never could anyone else. Fortunately his notes were brilliant.

However to put that into context, one of my best mates is from Ghana and during the cold war he went to study Engineering in Russia... in Russian.

First year learn Russian, then do degree and he passed.

There are levels to how well you learn a language and apparently understanding "comedy" in another language is the peak. Well having studied at three Universities and been around a number of foreign students, I'll never understand how they manage.

Doing a masters in a foreign language ? Blimey.

I can understand basic food in Spanish and order a beer.

Ask for sausage and chips in Polish (with mustard).

Say my break lights are broken in German.

That's it......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you're not wrong, but those chaps on Westminster Bridge are easy pickings too arent they? the fault is probably about procedure and bureacracy, you go through process and jump the correct hoops in the right way, stay, wrong and no entry/kicked out. bonus points for ticking self funded and short term (as a student), even when they know there are thousands of sham courses. when they're off the radar, well its easier to not count isnt it? all that paperwork, processing, etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You had my attention and I was interested in the reasons and logistics until you used the word "white" . I like your posts on many subjects on here. But to look for favour due to colour turned me off. There should be no colour in our Society . Only Humanity and Humatrian situations

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
Like how tens of thousands of extremely high-skilled, hard-working people get rejected for US visas and then Melania Trump somehow gets an Einstein "extraordinary talent" visa? This happens in many countries, unfortunately..

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He's a scientist!

That's not his fault. No need to apologise. I like his posts on this site. I just took offence on a small issue. That's just me being over sensitive. I can be too argumentative for my own good sometimes

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

It's pretty easy to get a Visa in the UK as a spouse, as long as you can prove cohabitation for 2 or more years.
I can only assume they cannot provide this?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
That's not his fault. No need to apologise. I like his posts on this site. I just took offence on a small issue. That's just me being over sensitive. I can be too argumentative for my own good sometimes

No, no no. That was the punchline to the Maureen Lipman ad. "You get an ology, you're a scientist!"

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's pretty easy to get a Visa in the UK as a spouse, as long as you can prove cohabitation for 2 or more years.
I can only assume they cannot provide this?

Not since Theresa May was in the Home Office. There is a hostile attitude to all now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here