Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Salah v Messi

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The free kick was indeed magnificent. I saw one comment pre-match from a pundit somewhere that van Dijk would have Messi in his pocket all night! :)

Was it Paul Merson or Lawro?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Such small margins in football sometimes. Apart from scoring thought Liverpool were very good . Couldnt believe how they outplayed Barcelona in second half and got nothing

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes he was the difference obviously but he was very quiet during the game. Reminded me of Peter Ward tbh.

Messi got the rebound off the bar, and then scored that magnificent free kick, apart from that he did nothing, but sometimes you don't have to.
Liverpool more than matched Barcelona but lost 3-0, they lacked in the final 3rd Salah and Mane were lacking.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Messi got the rebound off the bar, and then scored that magnificent free kick, apart from that he did nothing, but sometimes you don't have to.
Liverpool more than matched Barcelona but lost 3-0, they lacked in the final 3rd Salah and Mane were lacking.
I agree with the point you're making, but aside from scoring two goals he also set up a sitter for the last kick of the game which was scuffed wide. You're right though, he was barely involved for half an hour in the second half. Nor was Suarez, but he too did his job - one outstanding goal, one assist (should have scored). This is what makes these players world class though.

Liverpool were unlucky - three VERY presentable chances missed at least, and another day on the balance of possession and chances, that game finishes 2-1 and it is game on. As it is, Liverpool are more or less out.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I thought it was a great game, for 75m the Reds looked as though they could pull off a good result. However, Messi is Messi and he does what only he can do. Great game, cannot wait to do it all again.
As to Salah v Messi? What’s that all about........

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
TalkSport after the game was amazing. You had Scousers trying to say they played really well, were 'unlucky', this could be one of the greatest Liverpool teams EVER.

The game I saw, Barcelona let them have possession all they wanted in their own half / on the half way line and nice and compact at the back giving Salah no space. As soon as Liverpool got a bit over confident Barca hit them. Given how weak this Barcelona defense apparently is they seemed to do OK to me!

Another trophy-less season for Liverpool by the look of it, but at least they gave it a good go eh

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Despite watching Messi for 13 years of whatever it's been.....I still doubted him on that free kick. It was certainly better set up for a right footed player and Messi's 'run up' didn't look like he could possibly generate the power required.....plus the ball would be curling TOWARDS a quality keeper.

I should have known better.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Despite watching Messi for 13 years of whatever it's been.....I still doubted him on that free kick. It was certainly better set up for a right footed player and Messi's 'run up' didn't look like he could possibly generate the power required.....plus the ball would be curling TOWARDS a quality keeper.

I should have known better.
Indeed. A simple look at the facts tell you all you need to know about him. Here is the number of goals scored against England's big six clubs by players still playing:

43 Agüero
31 Vardy
26 Messi
23 Crouch
22 Kane

Not bad considering Messi hasn't played a Premier league game in his life. He's also scored twice as many goals against English clubs this season as Alexis Sanchez has managed in 2 seasons at Manchester United. :lolol:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Doing the 'Meme Rounds" .... :lolol:

IMG_8559.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Messi is incredible, possibly the best I've seen in my lifetime with the ball at his feet and his close control. I'd imagine he is the most difficult player to mark...however if you were going to design the perfect player he'd be taller, stronger, faster, good with both feet and heading ability. I just don't understand how he does what he can

Love the fact he often looks like an assistant manager in a DFS in Slough. Totally doesn't look like a footballer never mind one of the best ever.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought it was a great game, for 75m the Reds looked as though they could pull off a good result. However, Messi is Messi and he does what only he can do. Great game, cannot wait to do it all again.
As to Salah v Messi? What’s that all about........

It’s not to knock Salah who is a great player but it’s just to highlight how far Messi is above the others. Messi always seems to deliver for his club.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Salah shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as Messi. Salah is a cheat, constantly diving to win penalties - you rarely see or hear of Messi doing the same - can’t stand the bloke.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Salah shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same breath as Messi. Salah is a cheat, constantly diving to win penalties - you rarely see or hear of Messi doing the same - can’t stand the bloke.

Well, apart from his ridiculous roll along the touchline at one point last night..............

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton

Bit harsh but there was a moment in the first half where he actually dived in his own box to win a free-kick.

OK, it was actually a foul but the head went back and the arms went out as per usual. Properly milked it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Messi is incredible, possibly the best I've seen in my lifetime with the ball at his feet and his close control. I'd imagine he is the most difficult player to mark...however if you were going to design the perfect player he'd be taller, stronger, faster, good with both feet and heading ability.
Ah, more like Maradona?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ha ha, very good!....ours was atrocious!

In fairness to our freekick at least it had the element of surprise.
Everyone knew what Mr Predictable was going to do the moment he placed the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here