Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gavin Williams Sacked

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I do not understand why a decision of this magnitude (possible evesdropping) should not be public knowledge.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“Bye bye Gav!”

6923f7de99c68a0c97cd932ffafdc5ee.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Williamson is strenuously maintaining his innocence and opposition parties are now calling for the police to open a thorough investigation. That's going to be interesting: if Williamson is not arrested, it means that the PM is not pursuing matters further, which suggests that she doesn't want a more thorough investigation.

We shall see, but at first sight, it looks like he's been done up like a kipper. If he's not prosecuted, we'll know for sure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disgraceful for a defence minister to leak to the press, because he had a personal distrust of the Chinese and did not agree with the carefully worked through plan by intelligence experts in giving limited access to Huawei.

The snide should’ve resigned instead and made a statement. Instead he carried on, receiving a ministers level of pay.

Good riddance.

And yet he has tweeted to proclaim his innocence. He may be a twunt (OK, is a twunt) but May could possibly have shot one of her own side, wrongly, in a fit of collateral pique here.

In any case, I feel this 'government' has now surpassed Cameron's shitfest as the worst ever UK government ever. Callaghan looks statesmanlike by comparison. Chaimberlain looks like a top notch negotiator by comparison.

The Chinese would be laughing at us, if they could be bothered.

Look at all the benefits we have accrued by having Brexit take everyone's eye off the ball. Marvellous. Worth it. Brexit means Brexit. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Williamson is strenuously maintaining his innocence and opposition parties are now calling for the police to open a thorough investigation. That's going to be interesting: if Williamson is not arrested, it means that the PM is not pursuing matters further, which suggests that she doesn't want a more thorough investigation.

We shall see, but at first sight, it looks like he's been done up like a kipper. If he's not prosecuted, we'll know for sure.

This. On roller skates, with a pina colada, in see through knickers.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
People on Twitter are very, very concerned about this tonight.

Screenshot_2019-05-01 Twitter.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i'd have thought without a prosecution we'd know nothing for sure. there's quite a lot of stuff gets leaked that comes under OSA and we dont see prosecutions, for whatever reason politicans seem exempt. it would be mindblowing daft to set someone up for this if it wasnt them, it wouldnt end the matter and only escalate into a far worse crisis. though not ruling out these days.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tories self destructing again.

We'll never know. Here is a theory.

1) The security services routinely listen into any defence ministers phone calls.

2) They aren't gonna to pass that over to the Police, because they are historically reluctant to be challenged in court over their methods.

3) He knows that, May knows that.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i'd have thought without a prosecution we'd know nothing for sure. there's quite a lot of stuff gets leaked that comes under OSA and we dont see prosecutions

But there are prosecutions: Sarah Tisdall, Clive Ponting and David Shayler come immediately to mind (and a lot other lower profile ones too)

it would be mindblowing daft to set someone up for this if it wasnt them

This a government that keeps Chris Grayling in a job. I'd have said "mind-blowing daft" was par for the course

EDIT: Just thought of another dimension to this. I'd forgotten that Williamson was chief whip, he'll know where a lot of bodies are buried. He's not the sort of person you'd want as an enemy.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
here is the problem, the escalation into fake news. the story is whether or not Huewai should be allowed to be used in 5G networking, because fears. they havent been selected. they havent even been approved. they been not-banned from non-core parts (and implied barred from core). its then up to networks whether to use them or other vendors, and the fear is, since they make good cheap components and 5G will require millions of transceivers, they may well be on the shopping list.

meanwhile their kit is already in use for fixed line and 4G, handsets in the shops for anyone to buy.

And in the EE and BT cores ..... along with many public bodies using them such as uni's. It's either a stable door moment or fake news.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
But there are prosecutions: Sarah Tisdall, Clive Ponting and David Shayler come immediately to mind (and a lot other lower profile ones too)

This a government that keeps Chris Grayling in a job. I'd have said "mind-blowing daft" was par for the course

EDIT: Just thought of another dimension to this. I'd forgotten that Williamson was chief whip, he'll know where a lot of bodies are buried. He's not the sort of person you'd want as an enemy.

He's also a rogue and maverick. For this reason, and that he was oh so swift in issuing a denial, I always suspected he was the most likely culprit. Wouldn't it be marvellous if he starts spreading all the muck that he's got stored up on his colleagues?
And you're right about Grayling. May hasn't been able to sack anyone for ages because of the precarious balance of so many things, but Grayling must qualify as the most incompetent (bordering on corrupt) minister there's ever been. And that's saying something.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see.
But, as far as I remember, it wasn't reported like that at all, I am sure the news said that they are going to allow Huawei to build the 5G network.
By the way I have a Huawei mobile.

Indeed. Which is why [MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION] correctly describes it as fake news. The lead isn't fake news though. That said.....I am far from persuaded that Williamson is the leak.

Waveknight

Banned
Apr 30, 2019
His sacking aside , this governments greed and incompetence knows no bounds , if the other 5 eyes members wont let Huawei near 5g why on earth should we .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here