Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gavin Williams Sacked

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What is it that he's alleged to have leaked?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Dear Gavin,

Thank you for your time this evening. We discussed the investigation into the unauthorised disclosure of information from the National Security Council meeting on 23 April.

This is an extremely serious matter, and a deeply disappointing one.

It is vital for the operation of good government and for the UK's national interest in some of the most sensitive and important areas that the members of the NSC - from our Armed Forces, our Security and Intelligence Agencies, and the most senior level of government - are able to have frank and detailed discussions in full confidence that the advice and analysis provided is not discussed or divulged beyond that trusted environment.

That is why I commissioned the cabinet secretary to establish an investigation into the unprecedented leak from the NSC meeting last week, and why I expected everyone connected to it - ministers and officials alike - to comply with it fully. You undertook to do so.

I am therefore concerned by the manner in which you have engaged with this investigation.

It has been conducted fairly, with the full co-operation of other NSC attendees..."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not entirely sure. Possibly something to do with the Fridat Drinking Thread?

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Should be put in the tower, but you still have to ask why the government decided to go with the Chinese when everyone else said no chance.
Clearly Williamson disagreed but went about it in totally the wrong way.
Our government is a shocking mess.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Should be put in the tower, but you still have to ask why the government decided to go with the Chinese when everyone else said no chance.
Clearly Williamson disagreed but went about it in totally the wrong way.
Our government is a shocking mess.

here is the problem, the escalation into fake news. the story is whether or not Huewai should be allowed to be used in 5G networking, because fears. they havent been selected. they havent even been approved. they been not-banned from non-core parts (and implied barred from core). its then up to networks whether to use them or other vendors, and the fear is, since they make good cheap components and 5G will require millions of transceivers, they may well be on the shopping list.

meanwhile their kit is already in use for fixed line and 4G, handsets in the shops for anyone to buy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We will have to agree to disagree. A company that can be instructed to submit intelligence to the Chinese government on demand used by the UK government? Mental.

They will have an army of hackers working on encryption algorithms as well.

Because the alternative American suppliers would never do anything like that, would they ?

Still, I've heard that after we have reverted into the 20th century with Brexit we will supply every can and string ourselves (courtesy of Tate and Lyle) so we will really 'take back control' :lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
here is the problem, the escalation into fake news. the story is whether or not Huewai should be allowed to be used in 5G networking, because fears. they havent been selected. they havent even been approved. they been not-banned from non-core parts (and implied barred from core). its then up to networks whether to use them or other vendors, and the fear is, since they make good cheap components and 5G will require millions of transceivers, they may well be on the shopping list.

meanwhile their kit is already in use for fixed line and 4G, handsets in the shops for anyone to buy.

I see.
But, as far as I remember, it wasn't reported like that at all, I am sure the news said that they are going to allow Huawei to build the 5G network.
By the way I have a Huawei mobile.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see.
But, as far as I remember, it wasn't reported like that at all, I am sure the news said that they are going to allow Huawei to build the 5G network.

Well, how do we know you're not one of THEM ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I work in this field and it’s laughable anyone cares now.

Huawei have been used in most of the major telecom providers in the UK for at least 10 years. And in much more core bits of network than what is being proposed here.

They’ve been successful in 4G and are streets ahead in 5G and the Yanks don’t like it.

There is no more evidence of backdoors , leaks, whatever than there is proof that US manufacturers have been subjected to the same. It’s protectionism of US manufacturers and given most have had US security service backdoors found in them, they don’t like the thought they might lose that.

And I say that as someone who’s job is to sell against Huawei

https://www.infoworld.com/article/2...-planted-backdoors-in-cisco-products.amp.html

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2016/08/21/nsa-technique-for-cisco-spying/

It’s also a bit too late when they’ve been deployed in trials that are still active now

https://5g.co.uk/news/ee-5g-canary-wharf-trial/4538/

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Because the alternative American suppliers would never do anything like that, would they ?

Still, I've heard that after Brexit we will supply every can and string ourselves (courtesy of Tate and Lyle) so we will really 'take back control' :lolol:

The yank companies aren't state owned though (albeit I'd agree that the yanks will only use American companies for keeping in house as much as security concerns). Apple have refused to yield data, Huawei have to hand it over.

It's like leaving your Mrs with her ex boyfriend in the bedroom.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I see.

its not your fault, its the media that dumb down a technical and nuanced story to point that its unrecognisable from the facts. chinese whispers and all that. tech media have shrugged shoulders, then chuckled pointing out the US have down exactly what they accuse the Chinese of.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The yank companies aren't state owned though (albeit I'd agree that the yanks will only use American companies for keeping in house as much as security concerns). Apple have refused to yield data, Huawei have to hand it over.

It's like leaving your Mrs with her ex boyfriend in the bedroom.

I think one of us is being very naive. I'm just not sure which :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
its not your fault, its the media that dumb down a technical and nuanced story to point that its unrecognisable from the facts. chinese whispers and all that. tech media have shrugged shoulders, then chuckled pointing out the US have down exactly what they accuse the Chinese of.

Taking a complex and nuanced situation and trying to make it very simple for simple people ? That's always worked in the past :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Huawei have been used in most of the major telecom providers in the UK for at least 10 years. And in much more core bits of network than what is being proposed here.

They’ve been successful in 4G and are streets ahead in 5G and the Yanks don’t like it.

There is no more evidence of backdoors , leaks, whatever than there is proof that US manufacturers have been subjected to the same. It’s protectionism of US manufacturers and given most have had US security service backdoors found in them, they don’t like the thought they might lose that.

https://www.infoworld.com/article/2...-planted-backdoors-in-cisco-products.amp.html

It’s also a bit too late when they’ve been deployed in trials that are still active now

Sounds like you may have significant experience and know what you're talking about. I have no knowledge or experience.

We are all entitled to our opinions though and I can't understand why you think your opinion is more valid than mine :shrug: :wink:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Even though I've argued the other side, you might like this.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/30/huawei_enterprise_router_backdoor_is_telnet/

Exactly quite what the player manager of Merthyr Town has done to upset May, is beyond me.
Nice ground and excellent other facilities too. D5alirjX4AAdhE3.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here