Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Virgil van Dijk for £3 Million! (and why we didn't sign him)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You said "One thing he could do was spot a talented player" in a thread about van Dijk.

I'm merely pointing out that Poyet would not have been the one who discovered him.

Poyet's ability to attract/land players is a different matter.

Semantics, maybe I should have said recognise rather than spot :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He didn’t discover Bridge or Vicente either but he talked them into coming here.

I think I'm right in saying that Gus and Wayne Bridge shared the same agent, so that might well have been a major factor in getting him down here. Bridge was on circa £100k a week at the time, of which BHA picked up only £10k a week of, so it was a superb deal for us. And despite my early reservations over bringing him in, he was immense.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
We went for Van Dijk in January 2013. He wanted to come but we wouldn’t stump up the extra £500k wanted by his club. The club then cut costs in the summer after we missed out on promotion so didn’t bother to go back in for him when he went to Celtic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Exactamondo.

I believe in that particular Champions League group Celtic had Juve, Barca and Ajax.

Not a bad place to advertise your wares.

Plus the various player bonuses just for playing in the Champions League are, apparently, absolutely astronomical. There was no way we were ever going to land VvD with that in the equation.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mute point, if we had met the valuation maybe Van Dijk would have got us over the line in that fateful season.

He can’t have been that thrilled by Scotland he soon ended up at Saints. Stepping stone is all we’d ever have been.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You said "One thing he could do was spot a talented player" in a thread about van Dijk.

I'm merely pointing out that Poyet would not have been the one who discovered him.

Poyet's ability to attract/land players is a different matter.

I'll hazard a guess The Burker probably did the talent spotting, but that doesn't fit with anyone's version of history.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Plus the various player bonuses just for playing in the Champions League are, apparently, absolutely astronomical. There was no way we were ever going to land VvD with that in the equation.

You too have listened to Crouchy today?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
One thing he could do was spot a talented player. Absolute shit at spotting forwards though

He attracted players that were totally out of our league and although he was an egostistical **** who irritated the **** out of me with his touting at every opportunity you won’t hear me say a bad word about his ability to talk players into coming to the Albion

I think the alleged refusal of the board to sign Van Dijk hurried along his desire to leave too
David Gonzales, Christian Baz, Arisemendi, Battipiedi, Chris Holroyd...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Weren’t we in for him long before Celtic showed their hand?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Semantics, maybe I should have said recognise rather than spot :shrug:

I mean Gus himself could have been clearer - eg "our Euro scouts discovered him and I even went to Holland to watch him" - but, well, that wouldn't be Gus would it?

In fact, he didn't mention the club's bids, either.

Just implied that he's a genius talent-spotter and that the club let him down...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
David Gonzales, Christian Baz, Arisemendi, Battipiedi, Chris Holroyd...

Most of those were flyers before Bloom took over weren’t they

Oh and Calderon and turning a thug into a great player at the level, as well as introducing a style that blew away League One

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
My recollection is that we had pretty much agreed a deal to sign him, but his club wanted to keep him until the end of the season as they were in a relegation fight. We wanted him immediately so the deal never got over the line.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I mean Gus himself could have been clearer - eg "our Euro scouts discovered him and I even went to Holland to watch him" - but, well, that wouldn't be Gus would it?

In fact, he didn't mention the club's bids, either.

Just implied that he's a genius talent-spotter and that the club let him down...

Fair enough, I hadn’t seen anymore than the thread starters comment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol:

Yep, I'm about halfway through. Good stuff innit, I love the insights on that pod.

I don't think the Celtic players filled their boots with win bonuses, that campaign.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And swapping CMS for Glenn Murray...

Abdul Razak, Gai Assulin, Gonzala Reyes...

Pretty mixed bag really.

Poyet’s ego getting in the way with the laid back GM I suggest

But his overall record was good with players imo

Barnes too, although he wasn’t really good enough for us I accept :lolol:

I’d forgotten about Matt Upson too :rolleyes:

**** me - Bruno too, how could I have forgotten that gem and legend

If it wasn’t Gus who spotted all those players, we should get back whoever it was back. They did a much better job than the current incumbents are doing.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And swapping CMS for Glenn Murray...

Abdul Razak, Gai Assulin, Gonzala Reyes...

Pretty mixed bag really.

But my god that was some performance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't think the Celtic players filled their boots with win bonuses, that campaign.

From what he was saying, all you had to do was be in the squad. Even the players named on the subs bench are coining it the same as those who start the match. Six games of that and you'll have landed a nice fat wedge from UEFA on top of your club contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here