Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NCAA College Football

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm a big American Football fan, have been for years, the off season is always a bit of a drag. Plenty happens, for an off season, but it's still not enough. I plan for my next Fantasy Football campaign, I knock off a couple of football books, but I need something more.

So this year, after a few years of watching, but never really getting into College Football, I've decided I need to settle on who is my team. I can then spend a bit of the off-season learning all about them and be ready to go when the college season gets underway again.

But where to start? I'm not the sort to automatically get drawn to an Alabama, in fact I'm the sort of person to be naturally drawn away from them, to more of a plucky underdog. But, I've made a couple of NFL trips stateside, and would love to take in a College game next time, so I'm not looking to pick a dusty old backwater team (I'd do that Friday Night Lights experience watching a High School team), as I love an impressive stadium, so a team with an impressive stadium, known for a great atmosphere etc would be great.

History matters. I'm a Cowboys fan, but I have always had a soft spot for the Browns because of the Dawg Pound, and because of what they went through courtesy of Art Modell. That means I'm drawn slightly towards Syracuse because of the Jim Brown connection, and of course what could have been with Ernie Davis.

Anyway, in summary a question for any College Football fans out there. Who do you support, and why? Any suggestions for who I should follow?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
You kind of lost me at Cowboys fan (HTTR) but you could stay consistent and go Oklahoma State also known as the C*wb*ys.

My college team is the Oregon Ducks in the PAC 12 and I am hoping for a decent season with Justin Herbert at QB and aiming for a high draft slot next year.

I cannot recommend college football enough, it is absolutely great. It is full of tradition, rivalries, human interest stories and some great football. Each conference has a different quality. The SEC (boo!) is all about terrifying defence, Alabama rule the roost but Georgia providing some serious opposition right now. My Pac 12 is mainly offence orientated with the scholarly Stanford producing the pound and ground type type players. ACC a mixture of both, flair in offence with a dash of defence, Clemson dominating right now with Trevor Lawrence at QB in his second season. Then you have the Big 10 with powerhouses of the mid west, Ohio, Michigan etc. The Big 12 just a pass happy air-raid conference which is all about the points.

There is so much to enjoy in college football just don't support the Washington Huskies or Alabama and you'll be fine.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My eldest son follows FSU Seminoles & Navy, my youngest son follows UCF Knights, and Im a San Diego State Aztecs fan...purely because of loving the city & having friends there. They're not one of the "big boys" (being in the Mountain West Division), but churn out decent records each year.

You have such a huge range of teams to choose from - and its difficult to know who to go for in the College game because, as Brits, we have no vested interest in the Colleges themselves. In America, you get old alumni & generations of families turning up week after week to the games. The college game is far more popular (and I would say exciting) than the pro game for many out there. It really is a case of what feels right to you though when choosing.

Michigan, Wisconsin (I follow them too as we have friends from there), Ohio State (as you have a soft spot for the Browns), Texas, Texas Tech (as a Cowboys fan), Miami, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon (my mate follows them simply because his surname is Duck!) ..... the list is endless!

I watch a few College games every Saturday through the season and enjoy it more than the NFL these days.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I watch a few College games every Saturday through the season and enjoy it more than the NFL these days.

I'm starting to feel like that now - not sure if it's all the politics (Trump and the 'taking a knee' protests), the fact that the game now seems to go on for ever or just that the Giants are crap at the minute!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You kind of lost me at Cowboys fan

LOL, meh, once you choose you can't change, that's just basic rules of sports fandom, and back in the 1980's when a group of us first started watching we picked teams for various spurious reasons. My brother is a Seahawks fan because it was close to Seagulls, good call, but I couldn't just follow my brother. Whereas I went for the Cowboys because they had a cornerback Everson Walls, and my surname is Everson, so bingo, choice made. So whatever reason you think i chose them, I bet it wasn't that. :D

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If you dont want to be watching home games at 4am avoid the PAC-12.

BIG-10 games are usally early.

SEC if you want to be a glory hunter

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
LOL, meh, once you choose you can't change, that's just basic rules of sports fandom, and back in the 1980's when a group of us first started watching we picked teams for various spurious reasons. My brother is a Seahawks fan because it was close to Seagulls, good call, but I couldn't just follow my brother. Whereas I went for the Cowboys because they had a cornerback Everson Walls, and my surname is Everson, so bingo, choice made. So whatever reason you think i chose them, I bet it wasn't that. :D

Fair play, that is a perfectly fine reason to support them!

My reason for supporting the Skins is more bizarre. My first encounter with American Football was the Rose Bowl on World of Sport when ironically given my current collegiate allegiance the Washington Huskies beat Iowa 28-0 in 1982. When the NFL began on C4 shortly after I mistakenly assumed the Washington team was the same one so followed them! My first Super Bowl was watching a very good Skins team get beaten by Marcus Allen and my brother's Raiders. It is nigh on approaching 40 years of supporting this team now. We had some good times but it has mostly been mediocre. That said I love the sport, it is such great game and one of the few where I can watch teams other than my own with great interest.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In spite of myself I've been 'sort of' following the USC Trojans. This is because my brother-in-law's brother-in-law is a huge fan. (I mentioned him in the NFL thread. He's from San Diego but despite being a football fan he never went to see the Chargers and was pleased the city didn't build them a new stadium).

It goes against the grain a bit as they're not complete crap (like my dear old Browns), but he's so passionate about them it sort of rubbed off onto me. My sister-in-law went to UCLA and they have a rivalry, and the banter can fly between them (on Facebook) whenever they meet.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Here in my part of the world its UGA (Georgia Bulldogs or "the Dawgs") and Georgia Tech. UGA are one of the oldest collage teams around (since 1892) can be a bit like the Albion, good for a while then absolute gash the next time. Fierce rivalry with Auburn, Florida Gators and Georgia Tech. Also had a coach called Wally Butts. :lol: Just for that they need support. :clap: A lot of UGA go to the NFL. Herschel Walker being the most famous and recently the Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I like the Crimson Tide and Ole Miss.

Alabama, just have always have since the 80's. Ole Miss largely because of the Manning's.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I would suggest Michigan. Based in the town of Ann Arbor, which seemed very nice to me. They are competitive enough to be always challenging but lately haven't gone too far. They play in the Big House, official capacity 107,000, but they've broken 115,000 before.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Gators, but just because they are the closest team to where my family live in Florida - keep trying to sort out going to watch and hoping this will be the year.

I also like the U, just because its, well, The U. Helped by the turnover chain (and another Florida team)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I would suggest Michigan. Based in the town of Ann Arbor, which seemed very nice to me. They are competitive enough to be always challenging but lately haven't gone too far. They play in the Big House, official capacity 107,000, but they've broken 115,000 before.

I went to a game at the Big House in October, absolutely incredible. Ann Arbor is indeed very nice.

I also went to a FSU game. Tallahassee is basically a hub of hot college girls.

chrispyk

May 4, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Michigan State Spartans! I'm about to graduate from the university this weekend and I've followed them my whole life. It's a really fun team to watch with a lot of crazy ups and downs. We're not one of the "top 6 premier league type teams" but we've won the Big Ten a few times in the last decade and have been to the college football playoff. We also have a rich history with a lot of great rivals.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Michigan State Spartans! I'm about to graduate from the university this weekend and I've followed them my whole life. It's a really fun team to watch with a lot of crazy ups and downs. We're not one of the "top 6 premier league type teams" but we've won the Big Ten a few times in the last decade and have been to the college football playoff. We also have a rich history with a lot of great rivals.

Ah, East Lansing. Been to the indoor arena there for a gig.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Fair play, that is a perfectly fine reason to support them!

My reason for supporting the Skins is more bizarre. My first encounter with American Football was the Rose Bowl on World of Sport when ironically given my current collegiate allegiance the Washington Huskies beat Iowa 28-0 in 1982. When the NFL began on C4 shortly after I mistakenly assumed the Washington team was the same one so followed them! My first Super Bowl was watching a very good Skins team get beaten by Marcus Allen and my brother's Raiders. It is nigh on approaching 40 years of supporting this team now. We had some good times but it has mostly been mediocre. That said I love the sport, it is such great game and one of the few where I can watch teams other than my own with great interest.

That's a great story, even if it has left us as Cowboy and Indian rivals.

Although I've never been to the house that Jerry built, I have been to FedEx Field (vs Saints) and I can be pretty confident that I was the only one is full Cowboys gear! LOL.

Great stadium actually. For a new stadium (96?) they have designed and built the areas behind and under the stands in such a way that it is genuinely full of character, and has the feel of a much older stadium - in a good way! Really enjoyed the trip there, and only got some very gentle ribbing for the colours I was wearing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here