Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] NCAA College Football

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
That's a great story, even if it has left us as Cowboy and Indian rivals.

Although I've never been to the house that Jerry built, I have been to FedEx Field (vs Saints) and I can be pretty confident that I was the only one is full Cowboys gear! LOL.

Great stadium actually. For a new stadium (96?) they have designed and built the areas behind and under the stands in such a way that it is genuinely full of character, and has the feel of a much older stadium - in a good way! Really enjoyed the trip there, and only got some very gentle ribbing for the colours I was wearing.

I did mention that story to some hardcore Skin fans at Wembley for the Bengals game and they found it amusing.

Sadly I have never been to Fed Ex but I'm following the new stadium development with interest, if the team ever gets good again then the city may well welcome them back to a redeveloped RFK. I am glad you enjoyed your trip there though. Jerry World is on my bucket list of must see stadiums, it is an incredible building.

Got to love the NFC East, for my money the most intense four-way rivalry division in the league. Even when the football is bad the rivalries give it an edge.

I see you got Jalen Jelks at the end of the draft, always want to see a Duck do well (even for the Cowboys!)

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
History matters. I'm a Cowboys fan, but I have always had a soft spot for the Browns because of the Dawg Pound, and because of what they went through courtesy of Art Modell. That means I'm drawn slightly towards Syracuse because of the Jim Brown connection, and of course what could have been with Ernie Davis.

Anyway, in summary a question for any College Football fans out there. Who do you support, and why? Any suggestions for who I should follow?

I think in a situation like this, try to think like a local.
If the Cowboys are your team, pick a college team from the same state - you'll effectively end up following a team with like-minded fans. And if you ever make a trip over to the US, it's going to keep it more simple. I'd be looking at the Texas teams personally if I were you - and they've got a number of REALLY passionately supported college teams with amazing stadiums.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would suggest Michigan. Based in the town of Ann Arbor, which seemed very nice to me. They are competitive enough to be always challenging but lately haven't gone too far. They play in the Big House, official capacity 107,000, but they've broken 115,000 before.

That could be a very good shout.

It ticks the "spurious connection" box, as I like Hugh Jackman, love the Wolverine films, and they are, of course, the Michigan Wolverines.
They are a good but not dominant team.
The "big house" is one of the places to go to in College Football!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If the Cowboys are your team, pick a college team from the same state - you'll effectively end up following a team with like-minded fans. And if you ever make a trip over to the US, it's going to keep it more simple. I'd be looking at the Texas teams personally if I were you - and they've got a number of REALLY passionately supported college teams with amazing stadiums.

Yeah, I've loosely followed Texas A&M, but have never really felt like they were "my team".

I have made a couple of trips to the States for games, but not actually to Dallas .... yet! It does make sense to have something local to the Cowboys as I could then hit both in the same trip. That would make sense.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Yeah, I've loosely followed Texas A&M, but have never really felt like they were "my team".

I have made a couple of trips to the States for games, but not actually to Dallas .... yet! It does make sense to have something local to the Cowboys as I could then hit both in the same trip. That would make sense.

Was just going to suggest Texas A&M. Also close to Austin, Texas - which is supposed to be a fantastic city - and a liberal heart in the middle of Texas. Which for someone for Brighton could actually feel like a nice fit.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Was just going to suggest Texas A&M. Also close to Austin, Texas - which is supposed to be a fantastic city - and a liberal heart in the middle of Texas. Which for someone for Brighton could actually feel like a nice fit.

Actually just found out the Longhorns (Uni of Texas) play their games in Austin. Double win. Great city, great team.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Actually just found out the Longhorns (Uni of Texas) play their games in Austin. Double win. Great city, great team.

Downside being that the AT&T Stadium is in Arlington, not Austin. But even so, all in the same vacinity when it comes to US geography.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
...if the team ever gets good again then the city may well welcome them back to a redeveloped RFK. Got to love the NFC East, for my money the most intense four-way rivalry division in the league. Even when the football is bad the rivalries give it an edge.

Always have hope mate...they'll come good one day soon!

Think the AFC North may give the NFC East a run for its money re: 4 way rivalry as well - Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincy, & Pittsburgh seriously HATE each other!!!!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Always have hope mate...they'll come good one day soon!

Think the AFC North may give the NFC East a run for its money re: 4 way rivalry as well - Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincy, & Pittsburgh seriously HATE each other!!!!

The AFC North is right up there in the four-way rivalry too, with the Brownies on the up that will be a division to watch this year, a real scrap!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The AFC North is right up there in the four-way rivalry too, with the Brownies on the up that will be a division to watch this year, a real scrap!

I think the AFC North will be a great division this year, as the Browns are really coming on strong, but you can't beat the competitiveness of the NFC East. We haven't had a team win the division back-to-back since the Eagles repeated in 2004. In the years since then we've produced the SB Champions 3 times, who have then in turn, failed to win the division the following year. Giants couldn't even win the division in 2007, when they went on to be SB Champions.

2009-2012, we all won it once. It's fierce, bragging rights changing all the time..

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I would suggest Michigan. Based in the town of Ann Arbor, which seemed very nice to me. They are competitive enough to be always challenging but lately haven't gone too far. They play in the Big House, official capacity 107,000, but they've broken 115,000 before.

That could be a very good shout.

It ticks the "spurious connection" box, as I like Hugh Jackman, love the Wolverine films, and they are, of course, the Michigan Wolverines.
They are a good but not dominant team.
The "big house" is one of the places to go to in College Football!

If you have amazon prime then you can watch All or Nothing: Michigan Wolverines. Follows them through the 2017 (I think) season and was a great watch. Just ordering my baseball cap with a big M on it now :thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
If you have amazon prime then you can watch All or Nothing: Michigan Wolverines. Follows them through the 2017 (I think) season and was a great watch. Just ordering my baseball cap with a big M on it now :thumbsup:

Yes, I do, and yes I will.

Ooohhh, that could swing it. What a great way to really get under the skin of a team. I'm thinking I could be a Wolverine. That even sounds good doesn't it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Checked on the website from work, to see if it was still there and "Not available in your region" - when I get home, will I just need to set my VPN to somewhere in the States?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Yes, I do, and yes I will.

Ooohhh, that could swing it. What a great way to really get under the skin of a team. I'm thinking I could be a Wolverine. That even sounds good doesn't it.

My mate lived in Detroit for 10yrs through the 90's, & became a big Lions fan (unfortunately...but at least he got to watch Barry Sanders play!) & is also a Wolverines fan. He took numerous trips to watch them with his workmates, and has told me on loads of occasions that they are some of the most fervent & passionate fans hes ever seen. Just loved the atmosphere of 100k + going mental!!

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
If the Cowboys are your team, pick a college team from the same state - you'll effectively end up following a team with like-minded fans. ....

Yeah, that's a good point. I should perhaps adopt Ohio State as well.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Checked on the website from work, to see if it was still there and "Not available in your region" - when I get home, will I just need to set my VPN to somewhere in the States?

I'm watching it on amazon.co.uk but in Spain. So maybe thats what you need.

Chase Winovich, whos just been drafted to the Patriots, comes across really well. As do a few others apart from the three Quarter Backs who for some reasons pissed me off.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I'm watching it on amazon.co.uk but in Spain. So maybe thats what you need.

Chase Winovich, whos just been drafted to the Patriots, comes across really well. As do a few others apart from the three Quarter Backs who for some reasons pissed me off.
Haha.

Because they all seemed very shit?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here