Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Toaster oven toast

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've got a query for you.

When I moved in to my apartment I bought a cheap toaster oven. Unfortunately it was 1000 watt and my apartment is pretty old. The up shot being that every time I tried to use it it would trip the power. Then I got IBS and couldn't eat bread so I chucked it.

Recently, rice bread has become available in Japan so now I want to start making toast again. The toasters I've seen on sale over here use 750-850 watts while better toaster ovens than my old one have settings from 250-1000+ watts. The toaster setting is always at the high end of the range though.

My question for NSC is:

Can I make toast in a toaster oven on a low setting(sub 400?)?

I have googled the question and returned nothing. This is proof of either my poor googling skills or the trickiness of the question...

Either way it's now over to you NSC.:clap2:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Japanese electric is 100v so your oven will draw 10 Amps.
What is the rating of the breaker that pops when you turn it on and what else is on the same circuit (ie what else stops working when it pops ?)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This is going to be one of those, How the Hell does someone on NSC know the answer to this moments.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Have you tried switching it off and on again?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not an expert but maybe get a .... well .... toaster .....rather than this weird thing called a 'toaster oven' ?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Japanese electric is 100v so your oven will draw 10 Amps.
What is the rating of the breaker that pops when you turn it on and what else is on the same circuit (ie what else stops working when it pops ?)

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what that means but...the main breaker says 30 amps. I don't have the old oven anymore, I threw it away. If I remember correctly, everything stopped.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is going to be one of those, How the Hell does someone on NSC know the answer to this moments.

I hope so!

Do you rent it? Is there no requirement on the owners to make it less shit?

Yes, I rent. No, I don't think so. Everything else works fine.

I'm not an expert but maybe get a .... well .... toaster .....rather than this weird thing called a 'toaster oven' ?

I thought of that but the toasters use 750-850 watts. I know 1000 throws the breaker so I'd rather not gamble on something close to that. The toaster oven goes as low as 250 watts so im wondering if that's enough to cook toast or if I'll just have a normal piece of bread after 1o minutes...

Can't you just import a toaster

Japan uses 100 volts. Plus there's still the wattage issue.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
For those who don't know what a toaster oven is, it's one of these bad boys:

6258432_sd.jpg

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
pop round your neighbours and use theirs, if the electric trips, no problem

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what that means but...the main breaker says 30 amps. I don't have the old oven anymore, I threw it away. If I remember correctly, everything stopped.

Watts = Volts x Amps so Amps=Watts/Volts

If it's tripping the main breaker I would suggest it's the old oven at fault as 1000w is quite low. Have you got an electric kettle ? That will draw more than 1kW.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I wonder if you just had a shit toaster oven. I use mine all the time, and always toast on the highest setting without any problems. We have 120V electricity, so it won't be drawing quite so many amps, but yours shouldn't be popping a circuit breaker. Maybe try it in a different socket somewhere else.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So what does your average use cook with that, rather than just toast (or cheese on toast)?

A surprising amount, actually. They normally have several settings allowing you to cook fish, vegetables, breads, cakes amongst others. Japanese apartments are small, with tiny ovenless kitchens so it's pretty common for most people to supplement their kitchen with at least a toaster oven.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

If it's tripping the main breaker I would suggest it's the old oven at fault as 1000w is quite low. Have you got an electric kettle ? That will draw more than 1kW.

I wonder if you just had a shit toaster oven. I use mine all the time, and always toast on the highest setting without any problems. We have 120V electricity, so it won't be drawing quite so many amps, but yours shouldn't be popping a circuit breaker. Maybe try it in a different socket somewhere else.

This sounds promising. Maybe it was just a really shitty toaster oven. I reckon I'll get another one and see what happens.

Thanks guys/NSC!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

The most annoying thing about the low voltage here - the kettle takes FOREVER to boil. You have to plan a cup of tea about an hour in advance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here