Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] VoIP at home

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Anyone using this technology? [not Skype - but a connected landline-type phone number]

Does it work out cheaper against traditional landline and calls? [international calls not required]

Anyone done it using Virgin media cable? [not using the virgin hub phone socket]

Is there a good website anyone can point me too with some basic help - e.g. Idiots guide to VoIP at home - kinda thing?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What problem are you trying to solve? If you're not making a *lot* of calls or regular international calls I can't see any benefit.

If you're trying to save your line rental, then you need a phone line for broadband (yes even if Fibre etc)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Anyone using this technology? [not Skype - but a connected landline-type phone number]

Does it work out cheaper against traditional landline and calls? [international calls not required]

Anyone done it using Virgin media cable? [not using the virgin hub phone socket]

Is there a good website anyone can point me too with some basic help - e.g. Idiots guide to VoIP at home - kinda thing?

Have used a VOIP phone at home, on standard broadband, for the last 3/4 years. Very clear and never had an issue. Think a decent handset can be got for under £100.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So disappointed, I thought it was an announcement for our home friendly at the start of August against a Eastern European team

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
What problem are you trying to solve? If you're not making a *lot* of calls or regular international calls I can't see any benefit.

If you're trying to save your line rental, then you need a phone line for broadband (yes even if Fibre etc)

No, you don't. Virgin have offered fibre broadband for some time without a phone line and, slowly, other companies are starting to do the same.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No, you don't. Virgin have offered fibre broadband for some time without a phone line and, slowly, other companies are starting to do the same.

Yes I was aware of some companies doing this but was not aware Virgin or the bigger players were doing this

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
I'm self employed and work from home - I have a VOIP contract where unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles costs me £19.99 +vat per month. International calls are buttons. You need a decent handset - think I paid about £80. Apart from that, just an ethernet cable between the router and the handset and job's a good 'un, I can't get a landline or mobile contract that cheap!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Great if one is in an area Virgin is available. Only available in just over half urban areas so that's probably less than half over all.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Main difference is virgin don't use BT [phone/broadband] cabling then have their own "cable".

I'm just in the process of switching from Sky [TV] & EE [landline & broadband] to Virgin VIP [everything]. I was told initially by the install engineer [not a Virgin company] that I could simply plug a VoIP phone into my network hub - Virgin have subsequently told me that won't work, I can only plug a "normal" phone into the phone port on their router/hub.

Experiences of home VoIP welcome ... [esp if with Virgin]

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Main difference is virgin don't use BT [phone/broadband] cabling then have their own "cable".

I'm just in the process of switching from Sky [TV] & EE [landline & broadband] to Virgin VIP [everything]. I was told initially by the install engineer [not a Virgin company] that I could simply plug a VoIP phone into my network hub - Virgin have subsequently told me that won't work, I can only plug a "normal" phone into the phone port on their router/hub.

Trust me, you will be able to plug a VOIP phone in - you may need to add the end point to allowed sites in the firewall but your provider should be able to advise you.

Regarding experience with VOIP, I work for one of the largest pure cloud communications companies in the world and have 14 years experience in the field. (due to the requirement of decent broadband I have only ever been with virgin at home)

I have had quite a few VOIP phones set up in my home office (hard phone and soft phone) and recommend the below:

Vonage - been very impressed with their business cloud solution too and think this will be a game changer for them
sipgate

If more can be done with WebRTC in the future then that will be the one to be with as the quality is fantastic!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

You'd plug a VoIP phone into one of the network ports on the router not the phone port so both the engineer and Virgin were right!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
You'd plug a VoIP phone into one of the network ports on the router not the phone port so both the engineer and Virgin were right!

No,that's the bit Virgin said won't work. Obviously not trying to plug a standard phone into an Ethernet socket

VoIP phone arrived today - when plugged into Ethernet socket a get a dial tone [promising] but if I dial a number [e.g. my mobile number] it doesn't connect ?
Virgin have given me a new number, but how do I get that number linked to my new VoIP phone?

Any ideas?

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Speak to the VoIP provider and see what ports need opening on your router, try putting the IP address of the phone into the DMZ of the router too and see if that helps.

Wiggy Power

Feb 25, 2009
No,that's the bit Virgin said won't work. Obviously not trying to plug a standard phone into an Ethernet socket

VoIP phone arrived today - when plugged into Ethernet socket a get a dial tone [promising] but if I dial a number [e.g. my mobile number] it doesn't connect ?
Virgin have given me a new number, but how do I get that number linked to my new VoIP phone?

Any ideas?
You may need to turn your Virgin router into a modem, then get your own router.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Take a look on the Virgin Community Support pages - there is plenty of info there about using VOIP with Virgin (short answer - it depends on whether you have one of their newer or older installations in your area, as to what the correct solution is)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here