Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VoIP at home

Members

VoIP at home

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone using this technology? [not Skype - but a connected landline-type phone number]

Does it work out cheaper against traditional landline and calls? [international calls not required]

Anyone done it using Virgin media cable? [not using the virgin hub phone socket]

Is there a good website anyone can point me too with some basic help - e.g. Idiots guide to VoIP at home - kinda thing?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      What problem are you trying to solve? If you're not making a *lot* of calls or regular international calls I can't see any benefit.

If you're trying to save your line rental, then you need a phone line for broadband (yes even if Fibre etc)
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Anyone using this technology? [not Skype - but a connected landline-type phone number]

Does it work out cheaper against traditional landline and calls? [international calls not required]

Anyone done it using Virgin media cable? [not using the virgin hub phone socket]

Is there a good website anyone can point me too with some basic help - e.g. Idiots guide to VoIP at home - kinda thing?
      Have used a VOIP phone at home, on standard broadband, for the last 3/4 years. Very clear and never had an issue. Think a decent handset can be got for under £100.

3 Not allowed!
      So disappointed, I thought it was an announcement for our home friendly at the start of August against a Eastern European team
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Springal View Post
      What problem are you trying to solve? If you're not making a *lot* of calls or regular international calls I can't see any benefit.

If you're trying to save your line rental, then you need a phone line for broadband (yes even if Fibre etc)
      No, you don't. Virgin have offered fibre broadband for some time without a phone line and, slowly, other companies are starting to do the same.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by W3 BHA View Post
      No, you don't. Virgin have offered fibre broadband for some time without a phone line and, slowly, other companies are starting to do the same.
      Yes I was aware of some companies doing this but was not aware Virgin or the bigger players were doing this
      900k people in Bromley & Croydon, almost double pop of Manchester. Bigger than Norwich & Ipswich. Fickle fans in terms of attendance, cup games increased attendance do not help.
      Steve Parish - CPFC2010
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I'm self employed and work from home - I have a VOIP contract where unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles costs me £19.99 +vat per month. International calls are buttons. You need a decent handset - think I paid about £80. Apart from that, just an ethernet cable between the router and the handset and job's a good 'un, I can't get a landline or mobile contract that cheap!

0 Not allowed!
      Great if one is in an area Virgin is available. Only available in just over half urban areas so that's probably less than half over all.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Main difference is virgin don't use BT [phone/broadband] cabling then have their own "cable".

I'm just in the process of switching from Sky [TV] & EE [landline & broadband] to Virgin VIP [everything]. I was told initially by the install engineer [not a Virgin company] that I could simply plug a VoIP phone into my network hub - Virgin have subsequently told me that won't work, I can only plug a "normal" phone into the phone port on their router/hub.

Experiences of home VoIP welcome ... [esp if with Virgin]
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Seagull View Post
      Main difference is virgin don't use BT [phone/broadband] cabling then have their own "cable".

I'm just in the process of switching from Sky [TV] & EE [landline & broadband] to Virgin VIP [everything]. I was told initially by the install engineer [not a Virgin company] that I could simply plug a VoIP phone into my network hub - Virgin have subsequently told me that won't work, I can only plug a "normal" phone into the phone port on their router/hub.

Experiences of home VoIP welcome ... [esp if with Virgin]
      Trust me, you will be able to plug a VOIP phone in - you may need to add the end point to allowed sites in the firewall but your provider should be able to advise you.

Regarding experience with VOIP, I work for one of the largest pure cloud communications companies in the world and have 14 years experience in the field. (due to the requirement of decent broadband I have only ever been with virgin at home)

I have had quite a few VOIP phones set up in my home office (hard phone and soft phone) and recommend the below:

Vonage - been very impressed with their business cloud solution too and think this will be a game changer for them
      sipgate

If more can be done with WebRTC in the future then that will be the one to be with as the quality is fantastic!