Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ayrton Senna

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A definite I remember where I was moment. His death shocked me so much it was quite unsettling.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I watched his documentary on Netflix a while ago, the ending was pretty depressing. Saying that I thought it was a great doc though and showed what a trailblazer he was. RIP.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Still a legend in that sport, and remembered to this day in the form of rhyming slang.

a07b19d8d711749467ba9d5f4cd31605.jpg

RIP

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I remember that whole weekend so clearly.

In my shared house at Uni we blagged a 1 month free trial of sky, and that was the 1st weekend. We watched everything they covered from that Grand Prix over the weekend, and it was just horrifying.

We lost a true great, a LEGEND of the sport.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
IMHO this is joint top bestest EVER sporting documentary films.

10528909-1311872781-672770.jpg

Along with

MV5BMTQ4NjU3MzI3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjYyODU3MDI@._V1_.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've never been a fan of F1, but my dad loved it back then. I remember coming in from work that day and sitting down to dinner with the TV on in the background. My dad was almost in tears, & even I felt emotional watching the aftermath on the news etc. Terrible weekend for the sport.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I have a feeling I was watching the Albion lose 3-0 away at Reading on the Saturday, unless I got my facts wrong. Hearing about Ratzenberger when we got back in the car.

Then on Sunday, watching the crash, it was pretty horrible. It was the days of Ceefax, and I remember watching that, watching any other media, in the hope that one of them would give good news on Senna's condition.

25 years, blimey.

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
I was in Rio when Senna's body arrived back in-country from Italy. The whole city (country) came to a standstill, with everybody watching a TV somewhere. Hell of a response, especially as he was flown into his home city of Sao Paulo.

The man was (and still is) pretty much a god there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hamilton’s inspiration and he is up there with the best ever as well now and still pays homage to Senna with his helmet.

I posted this on the Formula One thread this morning before this thread was started so it seems a good place to put it as well

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48093513

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Haven't read this magazine for a good few years
I will do tonight

IMG_20190501_194606.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a natural born racer he was. It took the shockwave of his death to put driver safety to the top of the agenda, and to be fair F1 have done a great job ever since.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I’ll never forget as I was in Brazil, at the Aryton Senna children’s hospital with my second child who was premature.
We were watching on TV at the time, and I will never forget the silence that went through the whole hospital.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Read about this on the BBC news this morning that it was 25 years today and decided I was going to watch that documentary again tonight.

What an amazing driver.

Still remember that weekend now as an 8 year old by at my Nannas with the F1 on as I had everytime I stayed. Remember Ratzenberger first and thinking how bad that was (first death I had ever seen in sports) followed by that the day after. Remember drawing the cars and loving the colours of the Williams team.

RIP both of them

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I was playing kick about on the Green with mates at the end of Mackie Avenue when one of ours showed up saying Senna just died. I’ll never forget that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here